Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 30 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

More down to actually seeing a win. I have checked back and we did beat them at home in March 1980 so there's every chance I was at that one, but the memory isn't what it was and it's not one that rings any bells
I was at that game. Remember the ticker tape welcome from the Pompey fans as they came on to the pitch.

As one or two others have said, we played as well as we have all season even when it was eleven v eleven and would have been good value for a 1-0 win if it had stayed that way.

Neither Jackson or Walsh put a foot wrong during that first half hour and on that form Montsma might find it difficult to get back in the side.

I thought Scully was outstanding in the first half but was less effective when he was switched to the left after half time. A bit surprised he and Johnson didn't switch back again, but obviously bringing Rogers on did the trick when it was beginning to look like one of those games when we were never going to score.

I was thinking the obvious substitution would have been bringing Anderson on for Eyoma to give us more attacking threat down the right with less defending to to against ten men, but Harry himself couldn't have done any better than TJ did to set up the goal.

We did make it difficult for ourselves at the end but thankfully got away with it.

So 17 different players have scored so far this season. We await goals from Walsh and Eyoma of those who have made a decent number of appearances.

... in Rogers. Johnson, Scully, Grant, Hopper, Montsma and Tayo we have some good guys at the coconut shy ...

Can anyone recall Scully, Hopper and Tayo getting any negative press earlier in the season? Even Grant had a dodgy patch last season. We are a fickle bunch us football fans.

We should give the three of them extra credit for coming through that and showing both improvement and class as the season has progressed.

How does this season compare to DC's in terms of the number of different goal scorers (excluding OG's!)? I suppose squad sizes were different so a % of outfield players is probably more accurate.

More down to actually seeing a win. I have checked back and we did beat them at home in March 1980 so there's every chance I was at that one, but the memory isn't what it was and it's not one that rings any bells

I can boast of having been at both the 1977 away game and the 1980 one at Sincil Bank - 1-0 with what I think was Phil Turner's first goal for the club (haven't checked)

Haven't been able to follow, but great result, and the BBC match stats tell the story - and confirmed by highlights. Back on top. Still can't believe its happening.

Just watched the sky highlights. How did Mcgrabdles miss that header!? Thankfully he more than made up for it with the assist and the goal saving header. Incidentally I noticed the desperate pompey players appealing for a handball.