Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 3 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

Very nervous about tonight as they seem like a bogey team for us since coming up BUT its a very good point that our back 4+CDM will be very different this time around. Obviously that helps defensively but in the home game Roughan was punting it down the line giving away possession, Grant didn't have the movement of Grant ahead of him (obviously), etc. We pass out of the press a lot with Bridcutt, Eyoma and Edun so having them all back and in their correct positions will make a big difference tonight.

Nervous but this kind of important game feeling is what we live for!

As usual the first goal is crucial. If we score it they may just wobble after what happened to them on Saturday. If they score first , particularly early doors just like at the Bank it could be a long tough evening.
The longer it stays at 0-0 , the better our chances of snatching a counter attacking goal. Obviously no crowd helps us tonight as it does all the away teams coming to the Bank this season. Last season we played pretty well at Fratton Park and were arguably the better team but struggled with their power at set plays. Mind you they mullered us good and proper at the Bank this season and in my view have been the best team we have played in the league. Make of all that, what you want.
Not sure about the crowd, I think the status of the game could send a crowd either way. If we started well and got on top, I think their crowd could actually be a help to little old Lincoln.

For me, the point about this game, is that we need to be able to beat the Pompeys of this world, as they represent a good benchmark of what may come in the Championship. If we go up, we need to finish higher than 3 other clubs, in order to stay there and the bottom 6 in the Championship are likely to be of the same standard as Pompey. If we can't beat them, then we will really struggle.

It is all very well, doing well enough against poor League 1 teams to get promoted, but if we are going to do anything with that success we need to be able to beat good sides.

All that said, I have gone from being a little trepidatious to be really quite excited about our upcoming run of fixtures. Come through it relatively unscathed and the dream is very much on. Come through it poorly and we are still in the hunt. Come through it well and promotion is ours to lose.

UTI
I agree with this, competing with/beating the top teams builds even more confidence for the next ‘tough one’ - and acts as confirmation to the squad that we deserve to be where we are, and are not just a surprise package, as the other big clubs appear to view us. I also think it applies individually to any of the players that have ambitions to push on to the next level. Particularly thinking about grant here, but also johnson, eyoma, Edun, scully, Palmer...

Well match pass has just been bought. I think our record at Fratton Park is half the problem,it’s just so bad but if any team can rid us of that jinx it’s this one. The surface should be top drawer and will really suit us especially with a bit of zip in it. Team will be out in a mo too so nearly there. UTI👊💥

In fact it’s out. Great to see Connor back in. 7 on the bench too. 😁😁