Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

Pompey under much more pressure than City to win this one, especially after their last home outing.

You have to think Pompey will come out champing at the bit, to try and put Saturdays result to rights. Think that will suit us and we'll catch 'em.

Should be a fascinating game. I'm on the edge of my seat already!
UTI...!

One thing is for certain, it is not a game where you can be faffing around, missing passes, and standing off for the first 15 minutes - like the last two league games.
we need to be on our A game from the kick off.
they have a quality pitch, which should remove any excuses for poor passing. And improve our chances on the swift counter attacks. if a couple of one-on-one chances come our way, we need to take them.
don’t want another of those ‘if only’ games, like Sunderland and Posh.
+uti

Last time I checked the "Who do you think will win" poll it had 0% as a Lincoln win. Says it all really, at least we are honest fans, and don't look through rose (or Red and White) tinted spectacles.

Oh and on the game check my signature, saves keep typing it :LOL:

Just to reiterate, Portsmouth have a mid-table home record with only five wins from twelve games. They have lost three of their four home games against other top sides. Lincoln have the (joint) best away record in the division with seven wins from ten, and only one defeat (0-1 at Doncaster). Lincoln have conceded only 2 goals in their last 8 away games. They have a better overall record this season than Portsmouth, have scored more goals, and conceded fewer. So where is this belief that they will thrash us coming from?

Respective records:

Portsmouth
P32 W18 D5 L9 F59 A37 (includes one win on penalties)

Lincoln
P32 W22 D3 L7 F62 A35 (includes two wins on penalties)

They gubbed us 3-1 at our place?

They gubbed us 3-1 at our place?

And we were flattered by it... Hope I'm wrong but in the current circumstances I think it's a better predictor than home / away? Maybe we've done our homework to get through the press better and are slightly better squad wise this time at least.

And we were flattered by it... Hope I'm wrong but in the current circumstances I think it's a better predictor than home / away? Maybe we've done our homework to get through the press better and are slightly better squad wise this time at least.

Be interesting to see if the squad have learnt from that won’t it? Might also be a pattern for the rest of the season - we aren’t a surprise package any more so we’re going to have some tough tests against fancied teams. Exciting times.

A couple of bridcutt stats:
League games with him in the team w8 d3 L1

games against top half teams with him in the team 5. Defeats 0. Goals conceded 1.

he was not involved against Doncaster, Portsmouth or Sunderland. Goals conceded 8.

Such a good point this. Thinking back to the Posh game, I know he looked rusty with the ball but it was 0-2 without his last ditch interception and the match is probably gone. That was probably a glimpse of his value to us on the pitch especially against the top teams - hopefully he'll be on the pitch tonight and provide further evidence!

Such a good point this. Thinking back to the Posh game, I know he looked rusty with the ball but it was 0-2 without his last ditch interception and the match is probably gone. That was probably a glimpse of his value to us on the pitch especially against the top teams - hopefully he'll be on the pitch tonight and provide further evidence!

He did basically give them their goal though haha

I think his grittiness clearly has some value though in tougher games, I thought it was noticeable when Sunderland came here.

It's our privilege as fans observing from afar to be jittery, nervous and glass half empty after the home game v Pompey.

It's up to a more experienced Imps team to be *issed off at the manner of that defeat, confident, raring to go and to get out there and smash Portsmouth. UTI

First match of the season I've felt a but nervous for.

As always, would take a draw away from home! (Though our results suggest we are better away!)

For me, the point about this game, is that we need to be able to beat the Pompeys of this world, as they represent a good benchmark of what may come in the Championship. If we go up, we need to finish higher than 3 other clubs, in order to stay there and the bottom 6 in the Championship are likely to be of the same standard as Pompey. If we can't beat them, then we will really struggle.

It is all very well, doing well enough against poor League 1 teams to get promoted, but if we are going to do anything with that success we need to be able to beat good sides.

All that said, I have gone from being a little trepidatious to be really quite excited about our upcoming run of fixtures. Come through it relatively unscathed and the dream is very much on. Come through it poorly and we are still in the hunt. Come through it well and promotion is ours to lose.

UTI

As usual the first goal is crucial. If we score it they may just wobble after what happened to them on Saturday. If they score first , particularly early doors just like at the Bank it could be a long tough evening.
The longer it stays at 0-0 , the better our chances of snatching a counter attacking goal. Obviously no crowd helps us tonight as it does all the away teams coming to the Bank this season. Last season we played pretty well at Fratton Park and were arguably the better team but struggled with their power at set plays. Mind you they mullered us good and proper at the Bank this season and in my view have been the best team we have played in the league. Make of all that, what you want.

It's a bigger game for Portsmouth. They can't afford to go 7 points behind us, even with half the season left. That extra pressure might affect them.
More of a free hit for us in many ways. A point or a win would be great, but also something of a bonus in the great scheme of things

This is a real test of how far this side is progressing. Fortunately we should be nearly full strength, in contrast to the side at SB when they were too streetwise and experienced for us against a young back 4 and no Bridcutt.

But we do need to come out of the blocks fast. Concede early initiative and an early goal and it may be a long hard night, but if we can bring our quick 'A' game from the off and play over their high press it might be something more rewarding.