Match Thread: Peterborough United v Lincoln City | Page 51 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Peterborough United v Lincoln City

Well, I've slept on it and had time to think, so this morning I feel FUCKING ANGRY

Let's hope that the players turn this injustice into a positive.

What a brilliant season this has been. Let's go all out for third place; take our frustrations out on Charlton and Wimbledon and grace the Wembley turf with our total football #believe

Well yes this morning I am on just a gentle simmer
But my son has just made a valid point that despite yesterday’s farce we actually lost this in March?
In theory yes but then every team near the top could pick a period when their form dipped which cost them vital points. That’s the interesting thing about a league season.

Just watched it back on Quest and they basically laughed the incident off stating Peterborough deserved it as they were robbed of promotion last season. Expected nothing less to be honest 🙄

..but if we get a ridiculous one at Wembley in the dying moments i bet the overiding sentiment on here will be about football evening itself out and swings and roundabouts.

You're quite right, I could take football supporters in general more seriously if they were at least consistent.

If anyone is brave enough to look at Peterborough's forum you'll find a large number of posters, probably half, either think the penalty was justified on its own merits (:eek:) or that it is merely karma on the basis of Lincoln's own cheating, whether that's yesterday, last month, in the last year....

These are the sort of mental gymnastics we all take part in to make ourselves feel better when we are completely in the wrong, certainly the only sort of gymnastics I ever do.

As Exhibit B I'll remind everyone of the Wembley win over Shrewsbury and the high proportion of our fans who thought Matt Rhead unintentionally committed ABH on Dean Henderson and it was definitely right not to send him off.

The thing I can't understand is how Szmodic's old manned the ref for his penalty, but he didn't buy it when they tried the same trick and he allowed Rogers to carry on into the area and then gave us the penalty. He didn't fall for it the first time but he sure did in the 96th minute.

Last edited:
As Exhibit B I'll remind everyone of the Wembley win over Shrewsbury and the high proportion of our fans who thought Matt Rhead unintentionally committed ABH on Dean Henderson and it was definitely right not to send him off.

Are you talking about that fractuonally late minor bump by Rhead that Henderson absolutely milked?

If Grant had tucked away his penalty in the home game and either Hopper scored today or that twat Busby had not cheated us, we could be just two points behind Posh and with a game in hand. Not finger pointing our two fine players and their contributions, just emphasising the fine margins. Helps me tolerate Ferguson and his ilk.

If Grant had tucked away his penalty in the home game and either Hopper scored today or that twat Busby had not cheated us, we could be just two points behind Posh and with a game in hand. Not finger pointing our two fine players and their contributions, just emphasising the fine margins. Helps me tolerate Ferguson and his ilk.

Let's me honest, had we not had been hit such a hefty injury list for 2 months or so, we could have realistically been challenging Hull for the title.

As Luke imp said, about 3 weeks ago most us of thought that the chance of play offs were fading away, so we have recovered excellently.

Rather than just ranting peeps I would email the Refs association at the shambolic decision. I will be doing so. Busby was trigger happy with his whistle all game & needs a rest in the Conference for a season to refine his officiating.

Truly shocking he was 7 yds away & I could see in real time that schomdz or whatever his name is lost his footing and/or dived into Scully.

God knows where 5 mins came from!

To surrender a 3-0 lead to anybody would be considered a bad day at the office. Especially to a bitter rival.

But let's face it, Peterborough arguably have the most irrepressible front line in the league. They can be devastating when they can be bothered - just ask Accrington. And needing a point to seal promotion is a big reason to be bothered - if only for the last 30 minutes (+6) of a game.

We have reached the playoffs with 2 games remaining in a remarkable season and a threadbare squad on a small budget. I witnessed an absolute belter of a game yesterday and I'm proud of every imp that was on the pitch.

Bring on Charlton.
Can't be many league one sides can leave a million pounds forward on the bench, that's what we were playing against yesterday, so proud of them.

Last 7 games 4 wins 2 draws and 1 defeat , decent.
Those last 20 minutes against Blackpool and the players returning have made seen us return to much more old selves, much better than the previous 10 or so when we were injury ravaged.

You're quite right, I could take football supporters in general more seriously if they were at least consistent.

If anyone is brave enough to look at Peterborough's forum you'll find a large number of posters, probably half, either think the penalty was justified on its own merits (:eek:) or that it is merely karma on the basis of Lincoln's own cheating, whether that's yesterday, last month, in the last year....

We probably need either England to lose in the World Cup final to a Szmodics incident or the "Big Six" to call for a player diving in the box to be an automatic penalty before anything is done.

I don't see anyone in football with a combination of - power and best of interests of the game at heart - to stop the diving etc from continuing.

So my view is until that point - it is Karma when you are on the wrong end of a Busby, for all those who just shrug when it goes their way.