Match Thread: Peterborough United v Lincoln City | Page 53 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Peterborough United v Lincoln City

We've got to park it now. Everybody in football knows it was a shambles.

Positives are, we're in the play offs, we've got 2 games to build fitness and confidence. We've got a burning sense of injustice to spur us on. We can get fans into the ground for the last game and hopefully Wembley to push the lads over the line. Play offs are the best way to get promoted. Football has a funny way of evening itself out. And we don't have the stress on Tuesday and Sunday!!

We'll never know what might have happened, what we can do is look forward and do everything we can to help and support the club in the next few weeks and into the future.

This forum gets more hilarious by the week. Lockdown getting to a fair few I think.

Even if we did win, we would have needed pboro to lose and for us to win - there was never a guarantee of autos if we won.

The ref being corrupt and fixing, yet we had a 3-0 lead and gave us the penalty to make it 3-0, he could have easily blew for a “foul” by Rogers, seen plenty of refs who would have.

Embarrassing some of the accusations.
That’s one way to look at it, I suppose, but not one I agree with. Had we won, then Posh still had it in their own hands to get promoted of course, but we would still have had a chance - a good one given the last day fixtures, if we beat Charlton. We were denied that chance by a diabolical decision. Only fair that the ‘referee’ is called out.

That’s one way to look at it, I suppose, but not one I agree with. Had we won, then Posh still had it in their own hands to get promoted of course, but we would still have had a chance - a good one given the last day fixtures, if we beat Charlton. We were denied that chance by a diabolical decision. Only fair that the ‘referee’ is called out.
Saying the ref got it remarkably wrong is one thing.

Saying it was a deliberately malicious act is ridiculous.

... and that was what the post basically said and is obviously right

While it was plainly not a penalty, the football authorities have made it likely you will get these decisions.

The laws make not much sense, don't deter diving in any way and basically have left the referees out to dry.

Poor laws and poor referees are a recipe for poor decisions.

Yesterday was a fairly extreme case... but it will hardly be the first penalty awarded for a blatant dive this season, will it?

Conspiracy or cockup?

Anyone who thinks conspiracy really needs to have another think...

Last edited:
If anyone watched the tv whilst they decided if the Manure game would go ahead, they will have seen part of footballs problem. Micah Richards, not so long retired, would not have it from Souness that simulation, or buying a foul, are cheating.
I wish some of the modern charlatans had 90 minutes with the likes of Graham and Terry Mac, there was no need for simulation back then.

Saying the ref got it remarkably wrong is one thing.

Saying it was a deliberately malicious act is ridiculous.

... and that was what the post basically said and is obviously right

While it was plainly not a penalty, the football authorities have made it likely you will get these decisions.

The laws make not much sense, don't deter diving in any way and basically have left the referees out to dry.

Poor laws and poor referees are a recipe for poor decisions.

Yesterday was a fairly extreme case... but it will hardly be the first penalty awarded for a blatant dive this season, will it?

Conspiracy or cockup?

Anyone who thinks conspiracy really needs to have another think...
Emotions run high in the heat of the moment and some of us ,me very much included will post some hilarious bullshit . That penalty was beyond debatable so you can be a smug as you like Chimp but I wont even bother debating it.

To surrender a 3-0 lead to anybody would be considered a bad day at the office. Especially to a bitter rival.

But let's face it, Peterborough arguably have the most irrepressible front line in the league. They can be devastating when they can be bothered - just ask Accrington. And needing a point to seal promotion is a big reason to be bothered - if only for the last 30 minutes (+6) of a game.

We have reached the playoffs with 2 games remaining in a remarkable season and a threadbare squad on a small budget. I witnessed an absolute belter of a game yesterday and I'm proud of every imp that was on the pitch.

Bring on Charlton.
Yes but we didn’t surrender a 3 goal lead. We conceded 2 legitimate goals in a 30 minute spell and defended for our lives to secure the win which any way you dress it up we totally did and would have won the game 3-2 without that inexcusable scandalous decision.

Yes but we didn’t surrender a 3 goal lead. We conceded 2 legitimate goals in a 30 minute spell and defended for our lives to secure the win which any way you dress it up we totally did and would have won the game 3-2 without that inexcusable scandalous decision.

Hit the nail on the head here. Inexplicable error by the ref who I’m sure will be red faced but I do agree we need to park it now.
I'm just thankful that game didn’t end our season and we have to stew on it all close season. We can right the wrong in the playoffs 😉💪COYI

The other thing that got me was the amount of injury time played.
Watched the Tottenham Sheffield United yesterday and it 3 minutes of injury time, despite having a stoppage for two decent length var reviews, a few subs and a player breaking his fast.
Do refs add on more in games that are close than ones where teams are getting hammered?

Do refs add on more in games that are close than ones where teams are getting hammered?

I do think that is the case sometimes. I think the Brazil Germany WC semi-final finished with only 1 maybe 2 minutes added because of the humping Brazil were getting

Watched the Tottenham Sheffield United yesterday and it 3 minutes of injury time, despite having a stoppage for two decent length var reviews, a few subs and a player breaking his fast.
Sadly I think this whopper did exactly that, and gave the penalty because he was caught up in the moment and wanted to be part of an important/special moment. I don't think there was any corruption, but like many other positions of authority/responsibility, refereeing attracts attention-seekers, and it seems that's what this guy is.

Would be interested if someone somewhere could equate amount of added time related to match situation. You can almost bet if the score had still been 3-0 or an end of season nothing on it kind of game would have been 3 minutes at best.