Match Thread: Peterborough United v Lincoln City | Page 54 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Peterborough United v Lincoln City

There is a video clip of Szmodics saying to Peterborough fans after while celebrating "did you see my dive to get the penalty? "

Would be interested if someone somewhere could equate amount of added time related to match situation. You can almost bet if the score had still been 3-0 or an end of season nothing on it kind of game would have been 3 minutes at best.

There were 5 substitutions (2 for Peterborough and 3 for Lincoln) and two stoppages (Taylor before he was subbed and Rogers for us near the end of the 90 minutes) so that might explain the five minutes.

Wasn't there a rule implemented a few years ago that enabled the FA to take retrospective action against players deliberately trying to con the referee? I know Sammie Smalldicks would only get a short suspension, but at least he would be branded a cheat publicly.

And surely the FA should implement a formal system of suspensions for referees for such blatant incompetence? It is absolutely pointless issuing a feeble apology via PGMOL, there has to be accountability. I am the last one to attack referees because I believe they have an impossible job now in the face of imbecilic rules from IFAB and the modern curse of cheating footballers who invite contact and believe that they are 'entitled to go down' when a breeze blows past them. But sometimes it is so obvious, it becomes laughable - like Saturday - and you have to question the judgement of any referee that cannot see what everyone else can.

There is a video going around where you can clearly hear him say "Did you like my dive". If it has been spread on social media, then surely the EFL have to take retrospective action against him?
I think all clubs should print their programmes when they play Posh as ***** Vs Cheaterborough.

Compare the action
Contrast the reaction
Perhaps Johnson is a diving **** too, the opposition fans have been saying all season.
The Szmodics one was at a vital moment, Johnson one was in October and he wasn't given one that probably was.
We've done ok from penalty calls this season but that one on Saturday was a tough one to take.

Perhaps Johnson is a diving **** too, the opposition fans have been saying all season.
The Szmodics one was at a vital moment, Johnson one was in October and he wasn't given one that probably was.
We've done ok from penalty calls this season but that one on Saturday was a tough one to take.
Agree with every word of that

But Johnson didn't go running out the ground to fans asking if they enjoyed his dive. Szmodics was proud of it, bragged about it, and gave the impression he was the Posh saviour by cheating to win them promotion. That is the thing that REALLY grates.

But Johnson didn't go running out the ground to fans asking if they enjoyed his dive. Szmodics was proud of it, bragged about it, and gave the impression he was the Posh saviour by cheating to win them promotion. That is the thing that REALLY grates.
100%
Johnson definitely dived on occasions but Szmodics has glorified his cheating by his actions.

Rogers stuck his right leg out in front of Thompson for our penalty. There was definitely contact and the contact brought him down (unlike Smalldick's) but it was the same intention to draw a foul.

I don't agree with either action, but FIFA are increasingly trying to make the game a non-contact sport and unless they either,

a) backtrack on the journey they have taken us on, and/or,
b) retrospectively ban players for simulation and deduct goals scored from penalties, free-kicks and throw-ins won by deception,

then this is just the way the game is going to continue to be.

Rogers stuck his right leg out in front of Thompson for our penalty. There was definitely contact and the contact brought him down (unlike Smalldick's) but it was the same intention to draw a foul.

I don't agree with either action, but FIFA are increasingly trying to make the game a non-contact sport and unless they either,

a) backtrack on the journey they have taken us on, and/or,
b) retrospectively ban players for simulation and deduct goals scored from penalties, free-kicks and throw-ins won by deception,

then this is just the way the game is going to continue to be.
If they aren't careful people will begin to drift away from the game. At times it is infuriating to watch, especially on TV where you get the replays to confirm your suspicions. The squealing like tired 4 year olds doesn't help either!!
I mentioned it elsewhere, the chat between Souness and Micah Richards yesterday was very enlightening as to where football is, in comparison to where it was. I'm not saying we should return to assault being acceptable, however we need to get away from simply falling down convincingly being so.

I'm not saying we should return to assault being acceptable, however we need to get away from simply falling down convincingly being so.

Again I think it helps to keep some perspective. In the 1970s Francis Lee was a well known cheat who won penalties with outrageous dives and scored a televised goal with his hand.

A couple of years ago I saw an interview with Stan Bowles where he said that he learned from Rodney Marsh how to trip himself up in order to fool the referee into thinking it was a penalty.

None of what you're witnessing now is new.

And we all know we've had some more than debatable penalty awards ourselves, but the Rogers was on Saturday was less soft than most. Knowing what will happen any defending player is crackers if they run directly behind an attacker, as any accidental clip on the heel will result in a penalty, as it will if the attacker slows down and lets the defender run into the back of him.

Rogers played Thompson for a fool.

Szmodics played the referee for a fool. Then, by bragging about it, played the game's authorities for fools. If they don't take action, they condone blatant cheating and the game is even further on it's way to hell in a hand cart.

Again I think it helps to keep some perspective. In the 1970s Francis Lee was a well known cheat who won penalties with outrageous dives and scored a televised goal with his hand.

A couple of years ago I saw an interview with Stan Bowles where he said that he learned from Rodney Marsh how to trip himself up in order to fool the referee into thinking it was a penalty.

None of what you're witnessing now is new.

And we all know we've had some more than debatable penalty awards ourselves, but the Rogers was on Saturday was less soft than most. Knowing what will happen any defending player is crackers if they run directly behind an attacker, as any accidental clip on the heel will result in a penalty, as it will if the attacker slows down and lets the defender run into the back of him.
Nobody can convince me that it isn't more prevalent now. Franny Lee was the exception to the rule, as is the desire to stay on your feet now. My biggest concern is that a recently retired professional footballer thinks its OK in his own words "to buy a foul", where it clearly isn't. I know most players aren't blessed upstairs, this lad tried to argue that simulation was acceptable, when it really isn't. A very slippery slope showing the mindset of a player.
As for us getting our share of soft/dubious pens this season, you'll get no argument from me on that score. It's something I've said on other threads. For sure, none as ridiculous as the one on Saturday, but we've no doubt gained a couple of points from them all the same.