Match Thread: Newport County v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Newport County v Lincoln City

Watching the highlights, we're going to have to be much more clinical next season. We can't be only scoring every 1 in 4 chances.

The short highlights (Sky) tell little about the game and first half with the wind we had lots of box entries(a DC term)won a fair number of headers but did not act quick enough to the second ball.Harry,o `Hara twice and o` Connor all got foot to ball but to no avail........mostly off target.
Harry also failed to connect to a ball from the right which travelled very close to the goaline as he ran in at the far post.
Rheady stretched long and nearly also got very close to an effort at the far post.
In difficult conditions Rhead/Akinde both held the ball up well but the runners were not close enough to benefit from our aerial control.
Second half our quality into the box was not good enough(Newport defence coped with diagonals and hopeful crosses.)
Best opportunity was when Shay shot wide of far post when the defender got caught in possession...................it had goal written all over it.(easily said from up in the stand.)
I have no doubts that we are hunting a striker in the summer,but so is everybody else...............it`s tough.

[QUOTE="Can`t help thinking Norwood could be the answer but that`s too simple a solution."

I'd swap Norwood for Akinde any day.

Akinde just does not suit our system. His best work has always been outside the box, even at Barnet, and he is not an attack-the-ball inside-the-box goalscorer. And never will be.

We have great wingers and great full backs who get a lot of crosses in every game. Akinde does not attack the ball from crosses - again, that has never been his game.

Norwood is a natural goalscorer and can play the lone striker role too.

The short highlights (Sky) tell little about the game and first half with the wind we had lots of box entries(a DC term)won a fair number of headers but did not act quick enough to the second ball.Harry,o `Hara twice and o` Connor all got foot to ball but to no avail........mostly off target.
Harry also failed to connect to a ball from the right which travelled very close to the goaline as he ran in at the far post.
Rheady stretched long and nearly also got very close to an effort at the far post.
In difficult conditions Rhead/Akinde both held the ball up well but the runners were not close enough to benefit from our aerial control.
Second half our quality into the box was not good enough(Newport defence coped with diagonals and hopeful crosses.)
Best opportunity was when Shay shot wide of far post when the defender got caught in possession...................it had goal written all over it.(easily said from up in the stand.)
I have no doubts that we are hunting a striker in the summer,but so is everybody else...............it`s tough.
Still going from this season we do need to be more clinical. Many games we could have and perhaps should have won by 2 or 3 and we've drawn or only won by 1.

Norwood could be the answer, but could we get both him and Akinde in the team?

Listening to the post match I get the impression that if we stand still and consolidate as a club there off.

I kind of got that impression as well. Almost an implied ultimatum to the board that he knows what he wants/needs and it’s up to them to finance it, otherwise for them the journey has reached the station.

[QUOTE="Can`t help thinking Norwood could be the answer but that`s too simple a solution."

Akinde just does not suit our system. His best work has always been outside the box, even at Barnet, and he is not an attack-the-ball inside-the-box goalscorer. And never will be.

We have great wingers and great full backs who get a lot of crosses in every game. Akinde does not attack the ball from crosses - again, that has never been his game.

Shame Akinde does not suit our system, we could have had a good season if he had.

Wow.

Each to their own.

Norwood instead of Akinde? No way, and I thinks the Cowleys would agree. As well as, with Akinde deeper as a more mobile Rheady style 10? That's more promising, might be an interesting set up for next season offering another tactical option.

As Norwood proved at their place in getting sent off, he can also be a bit of a knob. My choice would be to sign him if possible, but I've often thought some of those 'missed' transfer targets (Grant, Walker) were passed over because they didn't match up to the Cowleys' minerals standards, Norwood could be similar.

I would have them both playing and Akinde drawing 4 defenders on every attack would leave plenty of room for Norwood.
We have used Akinde as our battering ram and as a lone striker but playing off the first ball, it`s not his strength and he plays the role he is told to but prefers to play in a two pronged attack.(and is potentially more effective in a two)

The support striker role has been a position we really have not filled adequately and we have tried various option Rowe,McCartan and looked at Roberts and Angol(in training) but to date no pair have excelled although Rowe has performed well when played centrally.
Norwood could have had a hatrick against us and does perform as a lone striker,i would bust a gut to sign this guy but so will Ipswich,etc.

It`s a long way to August and on the forum he is getting plenty of mentions and if Tranmere blow out he will move on.(hails originally from Eastbourne)

Each to their own.

Norwood instead of Akinde? No way, and I thinks the Cowleys would agree. As well as, with Akinde deeper as a more mobile Rheady style 10? That's more promising, might be an interesting set up for next season offering another tactical option.

As Norwood proved at their place in getting sent off, he can also be a bit of a knob. My choice would be to sign him if possible, but I've often thought some of those 'missed' transfer targets (Grant, Walker) were passed over because they didn't match up to the Cowleys' minerals standards, Norwood could be similar.

The fact is that Akinde needs a mobile goal scoring strike partner alongside him. He’s always looked better when not isolated. I’m afraid though that despite all his popularity Matt Rhead isn’t the answer, other than in certain specific situations.

Akinde worked very hard yesterday

He is a better footballer then league 2

He liked a more mobile partner upfront.

Rhead and Akinde worked well together however Rhead would have probably be sent off he he came out for the second half. The ref did not like him as all.

Rowe, Andrade, McCartan were largely ineffective. Anderson looks shattered.

Newport are a funny side. People criticise our football however they made us look the Dutch national football team from the 1970s yesterday.

I wouldn’t fancy them in the playoffs.

One of our problems is that we have a number of key players suffering lengthy goal droughts. In terms of league games, Anderson has not scored since 26 December, Pett since 22 December, O'Connor since 27 November, Rhead since 20 October (his only league goal this season), and Frecklington since 1 September. Only one goal has been scored in 2019 by a central midfielder (O'Hara against Yeovil). Only nine players have scored in 2019 from the twenty who have played. The belief that we have goals all over the team has not been borne out since the turn of the year. Considering we have just ended a run of scoring in 26 successive league games, that is even more surprising.

The fact is that Akinde needs a mobile goal scoring strike partner alongside him. He’s always looked better when not isolated. I’m afraid though that despite all his popularity Matt Rhead isn’t the answer, other than in certain specific situations.

Yes I fully agree - McCartan and Rowe do not get forward enough. If we had a player who haunts the 6 yard box we would have had a hatful yesterday. The chance were no one connected I almost felt like running out of the crowd and getting on the end of it myself.

His best work at Barnet was always outside the box? That'll be why he scored 89 goals in 174 games for them.

Up until recently I think we had the best conversion rate of chances to goals across the entire 92 didn’t we?

One of our problems is that we have a number of key players suffering lengthy goal droughts. In terms of league games, Anderson has not scored since 26 December, Pett since 22 December, O'Connor since 27 November, Rhead since 20 October (his only league goal this season), and Frecklington since 1 September. Only one goal has been scored in 2019 by a central midfielder (O'Hara against Yeovil). Only nine players have scored in 2019 from the twenty who have played. The belief that we have goals all over the team has not been borne out since the turn of the year. Considering we have just ended a run of scoring in 26 successive league games, that is even more surprising.

You have laid the problem on a plate with those numbers and we will ignore these details at our peril.