Match Thread: Newport County v Lincoln City | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Newport County v Lincoln City

Not great form finishing the season! Obviously not too fussed about the result as we're the champions. I just feel a bit sorry for the fans that travelled to witness a sub par performance.

Heres hoping the lads put in a Stella performance for the last game of the season.

Tranmere need to win their last two games (one of which is against Bury, which means Bury need a point in their other game), and MKD v Stags needs to end in a draw.

I'm sure Danny is already disappointed at the way we are finishing the season, especially the last three games.

We lack a little bit of creativity in midfield - and we especially lack a forward to attack the ball and finish off the dozens of crosses we get into the box every game.

Its no good having excellent full backs and wide players when we have a centre forward who prefers to do his best work outside the box. That has to be addressed if you are to thrive next season.

Listening to the post match I get the impression that if we stand still and consolidate as a club there off.
I am sure there is a message there.

Perhaps the only groups of people he can communicate to privately are the board and the players. I would hope the sort of issue you believe it is, would be conducted in private.

Therefore the people I hope he is trying to get the message to could be, the fans (ST are on sale), or potential new signings or potential investors.

Certainly if you only aim for consolidation, coming up slightly short = relegation, so the aim must be higher than that. You do not usually achieve great things if you do not aim for them.

Let's hope the intended recipients of the message respond as Cowley would hope.

Last edited:
I have to say that when I looked at our last 4 fixtures a couple of weeks ago I felt a little daunted. All those sides have a lot to play for. I was left wondering if we would be able to win any of them... I was relieved that we were 99.9% promoted as none of them are fixtures you would want to HAVE to win. Colchester are beatable, but we will have to be up for it.

How did you come to that conclusion? I got that they are not prepared for Lincoln to consolidate next season in L1, they will pushing hard to carry on the momentum.

Momentum costs money and if we have been “blunt” recently in League 2 then that needs addressing for League 1. If the investment is not forthcoming with a mid table finish next season and with no further investment identified for the season after that then I can only see one outcome imho of course.

I suppose it is our turn to have a blip. Everyone in the top four has had one this season. We've had ours, fortunately it has come after we have won the league.

Danny sounded very nonplussed though. I can't blame him, as we don't like our team to lose. Our form in the last six games has been poor to be fair and we can't afford to carry that through to next season.

From seeing them on Monday, Harry and Bruno looked done in. Sadly, owing to the EFL rules we aren't able to rest them, unless they are totally kaput.