Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic

OK. Ref was poor, but we were well beaten by a physically stronger side.

Hopefully it will show MA what he needs to add to the team next season (some strength), but I am not sure it will.

Cullen, Bishop, Robson, and Maguire were all pushed off the ball way too easily.
Think we saw the example in the Play Off Final Blackpool were a big strong physical side and have done well in the Championship. We at the moment are too lightweight.

In the staying up stakes another good day
8 points clear of 3 on 38 including the last relegation spot, with 4 or 5 games left, basically all 3 need 3 wins. All 3 have some tough games to finish too, and Gills and Fleetwood play each other on Easter Monday.

It certainly wasn't garbage as may have been suggested :), we were well enough in the game until their 3rd goal but certainly can't complain about the overall result.

Even though the ref let a lot of challenges go by both sides (this seems to be what most fans want so I don't know why all the complaints?) our powder-puff midfield wasn't really the problem today, those lay elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind if there was major surgery to this squad in the summer. With the benefit of hindsight it wasn't well assembled, with identikit midfielders, though all the other problems not of the club's making can't be dismissed.

On the plus side, at least we don't need another keeper on loan next season. Not as first choice anyway.

I hope that some mistakes won't be repeated, though, and if signings are made whoever gives the green light makes sure first that the players concerned don't have legs made of Dresden China and biscuits.

Soundly beaten today, Wigan were solid no thrills. The ref was abysmal, and totally out of his depth.

If we want to progress we need pace, we just don’t have any natural pace to break. Kind of summed the season up this week. Not the end of the world, but I think even the fans today which were pretty non existent are ready for the summer.

Can't believe I just heard Appleton say the words "I thought we were good today" on Radio Lincs. We weren't dreadful but we definitely weren't good and Wigan won without getting out of second gear. The total apathy from the crowd tells its own story. I want to believe that we'll be better next year but if we don't acknowledge our own shortcomings, how can we hope to fix them?

Only good thing from today was Gillingham and Wimbledon failing to win. Yes they were league leaders and yes we weren’t completely outplayed, a game where we weren’t expected to win so a bit of a free hit, but yet again I was bored stiff most of the game. There’s just nothing to shout about and get excited. You know the ball is going to get passed about and eventually end up with the keeper. Easy for Wigan and they hardly had to come out of second gear today. Other than the goal, we had one great chance where Cullen forced a fine save from their keeps. Nod to Wright though for a magnificent stop in the second half. On to Pompey then. We seem to be much better away and it would be great to put one over the Crowley boys. UTI 👊💥👏

Can't believe I just heard Appleton say the words "I thought we were good today" on Radio Lincs. We weren't dreadful but we definitely weren't good and Wigan won without getting out of second gear. The total apathy from the crowd tells its own story. I want to believe that we'll be better next year but if we don't acknowledge our own shortcomings, how can we hope to fix them?
I've been a supporter of MApp but he does need to revisit his approach. His future with us will depend on summer recruitment, I cannot imagine the board will be happy with another season like this one. UTI

I'm expecting a lot of changes. I heard someone say on the way out that we had the makings of a good team, not sure I quite agree. Me and the old man went through players we would keep and there werent many permanent lincoln players we would definetly keep, too many squad players or injury prone players.

We live in hope!

Fair result. Poor referee didn’t affect the outcome, as Wigan were stronger and more organised, and deserving of the points. But, if the penalty was given, who knows?

Didn’t affect the outcome? Other than not giving a seemingly nailed on penalty and ignoring a blatant foul on Bishop which gave them the ball from which they scored the 3rd. Other than that….

It certainly wasn't garbage as may have been suggested :), we were well enough in the game until their 3rd goal but certainly can't complain about the overall result.

Even though the ref let a lot of challenges go by both sides (this seems to be what most fans want so I don't know why all the complaints?) our powder-puff midfield wasn't really the problem today, those lay elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind if there was major surgery to this squad in the summer. With the benefit of hindsight it wasn't well assembled, with identikit midfielders, though all the other problems not of the club's making can't be dismissed.

On the plus side, at least we don't need another keeper on loan next season. Not as first choice anyway.

I hope that some mistakes won't be repeated, though, and if signings are made whoever gives the green light makes sure first that the players concerned don't have legs made of Dresden China and biscuits.

Pretty good summary.

I would say that wigan got the rub of the green on the decisions. What was your thoughts on the penalty shout? Looked a reasonable on from my angle.

Whatever happens next season we need to have more of a physical approach when it’s needed. Think we usually struggle against teams that are bigger and stronger. It’s great having technical players and play nice football but we also need to be able to do more of the ugly stuff to out battle sides when needed. We must be one the smallest sides in the league?

We are just not very good in most of our home games. Great save from the young keeper and hint of class from Fiorini, and I felt sorry for Cullen in a thankless role, but I've had enough of Maguire's 360 degree turns, diving and criticising team mates.

We definitely need stronger more-physical players next season, especially in midfield, but I'm not at all sure that is MA's style.

He has spoken of bringing in more experience. If that means another two or three like Maguire, players who are guaranteed a place however they perform, next season could be very similar to this!

Maguire does not suit the way we are trying to play at all, which makes it all the more mystifying why the person responsible for us trying to play that way keeps putting him in the side.

When he gets it our forward momentum usually comes to a halt and had I been counting the number of times his possession allowed the other team to get players back behind the ball.... then I would have lost count by now.

There is only one position on the field where I think he might suit the team and that is the one Bridcutt occupies in the six weeks of the season when he's not injured.

That sounds counter-intuitive for a player like Maguire, but Grant did a job there very well at times last season against all the odds.

Maguire does have very good instant control, he's able to shrug off a challenge and he can, at least, pass without panicking, so that might be a better position for him.

As he's been tried in every other position outside the back four, I think it's worth a go.