Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic

If he is, I’ll be convinced that he has some dirt on MA. I wouldn’t say he is a liability, but he should be warming the bench rather than an automatic starter.

indeed the photos must be good. He is a waste of a player. If he is in the team to wind up the opposition I am sure there are better players who can also do this.

The two big differences between the two teams have been the difference in physicality and tactical awareness off the ball. Otherwise, not a vast difference, but I think Wigan can step up another gear if needed.

Agreed we are far too lightweight across the pitch.

Frustrating more than disappointing today. Poor referring but overall Wigan too physical and sometimes some effective use of the darker side of the game. Think we are safe and still have points to pick up in the remaining games. Have a good weekend Imps. Stay safe.

FT 1-3. There isn’t that big a gap in ability between top currently on live tables Wigan, and us in 18th. Good signings and management would give me confidence for next season. This one, well, we are just not good enough, helped by a very poor ref. Disappointing afternoon but meanwhile at home we’re having a takeaway curry and wine later. That’ll cheer me up. Enjoy the rest of your weekend imps. 🔴⚪

Fair result. Poor referee didn’t affect the outcome, as Wigan were stronger and more organised, and deserving of the points. But, if the penalty was given, who knows?

I can't see Wigan surviving more than one season in the Championship if they retain the bulk of this team. They have won this game quite comfortably and relied upon a strong physical approach but that will not be effective next season.

Well, as entertaining the first half was, the second half was a joke. There was only one team trying to play football and it definitely wasn’t Wigan. OK, they were well organised and clinical but they were thugs who mugged us thanks to a referee who was ridiculously weak and a complete and utter joke. Either he comes from Wigan or he has money on Wigan to win the league. The bulk of his decisions in the second half were a complete travesty and so one-sided it was ridiculous. There was a short period in the second half where a series of refereeing decisions went against us and I’m sure the players just lost concentration, which led to the third goal. Proud of the team for trying to win the game in the proper way - excellent performance, although a couple of players dropped off second half, mainly Maguire who seemed to play too many balls backwards or beyond the intended team-mate. Nothing else to say.

Well, we should see four worse teams occupy the relegation places. But, it’s been a close call this season (and still not mathematically certain we will be in L1).
Will be a very interesting close season.

OK. Ref was poor, but we were well beaten by a physically stronger side.

Hopefully it will show MA what he needs to add to the team next season (some strength), but I am not sure it will.

Cullen, Bishop, Robson, and Maguire were all pushed off the ball way too easily.

Garbage, how many home defeats is that now?
I think that’s a bit harsh - the performance wasn’t that bad considering we were playing the league leaders, but we were mugged and with a proper and stronger ref we might have got a point out of that game.

I can't see Wigan surviving more than one season in the Championship if they retain the bulk of this team. They have won this game quite comfortably and relied upon a strong physical approach but that will not be effective next season.
Peterborough mk. 2