Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wigan Athletic

Reasonable performance and competitive game until their 3rd goal.
They are a strong side and are going to be Champions. They played the high line we have struggled against all season and we coped with it quite well.
I don't think they out muscled or out battled us. First two goals were badly defended. The first in particular. There was a time when the tackle for the third would have been really appreciated but these days they are almost always given as a foul.
BNC and Whittaker make us stronger down the right. Apart from those changes that is the team I would like us to play as often as possible.
One thing though, our defending from corners was bizarre. I presume we were so concerned about the delivery into the box that we deliberately encouraged them to take a short corner by not marking correctly. I don't think they could believe it and they nearly scored from it twice but we got away with it so I guess it worked.

He’d be an absolute liability at the base of midfield. I found his shithousery quite entertaining at the start of season, now it’s getting quite tedious with nothing to back it up.
Same here. I was at the match at Wigan and effectively gave him 2 separate marks with and without the ball, but since then apart from Sunderland he been a liability.

A few have mentioned that he was a sort of replacement for Grant. But listening to commentaries recently, the number of times "the ball bounces up on him" ( he fails to control first touch);ambitious passes miss their target; or square passes get cut out; factor in the tats and attitude, and he's basically Alan Power.

Good points but in the balance of fairness I imagine we are better resourced then both Cheltenham and Cambridge who have done exceptional well

Maybe so? But how has that helped this season with everything that has gone against us? (You know, those things I pointed out in the post you quoted)

Maybe so? But how has that helped this season with everything that has gone against us? (You know, those things I pointed out in the post you quoted)

i am not really following you but my point was we can’t blame lack of financial level playing field for any lack of progress as teams less resourced have done better then us.

i am not really following you but my point was we can’t blame lack of financial level playing field for any lack of progress as teams less resourced have done better then us.

Have all of those "less resourced" team's had a delayed start to transfer dealings due to making a play-off final? Did their managers spend the first few weeks off pre-season away due to treatment? Have they actually had to put up with an injury list like ours?

Wigan are an ugly one dimensional side who out muscled us, were very street savvy and had a massive break with the non penalty decision. They will have to make massive changes to survive in the championship but that's not our problem.

Until we inject some more pace and physicality into the side (over the Summer now obviously) we will continue to struggle in certain games and there will be a fair few of that ilk.

Next on the list will be to have more luck on the injury front and try to field a settled side. As a team trying to play passing football it must be incredibly tough on fluency, not being able to establish consistent patterns of play and on field partnerships, with all the chopping and changing forced on us this season.

Must say, I really don’t understand Maguire’s role.

It was evident today that we were going to contain Wigan then hit them on the counter. Which means pace.

So who plays on the wing? One of our slowest players.

Wouldn’t be sad to see Maguire go in the summer.

Why we persist in letting Maguire take all the freekicks and corners is a mystery to me as his delivery is poor. Surely we can hand this role on to another player for the remainder of the season as it cannot be much worse.

Have all of those "less resourced" team's had a delayed start to transfer dealings due to making a play-off final? Did their managers spend the first few weeks off pre-season away due to treatment? Have they actually had to put up with an injury list like ours?

your right but I am sure all team have their own points of bad luck

It's a funny old game - we get back our 'first choice' CBs, Walsh & Jackson, who then turn in a Keystone Kops performance for the first two goals. Just as we get them back, we lose our two form players in BNC and Bramall. The there's the appartition of Briductt which appears at Charlton and evaporates again just as quickly as it appeared.

Yes Wigan made us look lightweight but once again, the whole season needs to be looked at in the continual injury crisis context.

The less said about the 'ref' the better and yes, I reckon it was a penalty. IF that had been given and IF we had scored, might there have been a different outcome?

Fine margins, as someone once said!

Same here. I was at the match at Wigan and effectively gave him 2 separate marks with and without the ball, but since then apart from Sunderland he been a liability.

A few have mentioned that he was a sort of replacement for Grant. But listening to commentaries recently, the number of times "the ball bounces up on him" ( he fails to control first touch);ambitious passes miss their target; or square passes get cut out; factor in the tats and attitude, and he's basically Alan Power.
Including the pirouette!

I think they will, but they will spend untold money to support staying up, like they have done this season.

Enjoyable game yesterday, obviously being a Wigan fan helps.
There's quite a lot of respect from the Wigan fanbase for you following one of the best performances of the season from a visiting side at the DW when we were well beaten. Your league position is a bit of a mystery to a lot of us.

With respect to the "spend untold money" comment. clearly we've offered significant wages to players this season (although nowhere near the highest in the league) but the boards strategy has been to spend on player wages and not transfer fees and given that we started with a squad of 4 contracted players last June our season has been a minor miracle, irrespective of where we finish in the league.

Good luck to the Imps for the rest of the season.

Yesterdays starting X1
Amos Free
Darikwa Free
Watts Loan
Watmough Free
Kerr £630,000
Bennet Free
Naylor Free
Power Free
Lang Academy product
Keane Free
Magennis Undisclosed

Also signed on "Frees" were Wyke, Edwards, Cousins and McClean who have all featured a lot this season.

Enjoyable game yesterday, obviously being a Wigan fan helps.
There's quite a lot of respect from the Wigan fanbase for you following one of the best performances of the season from a visiting side at the DW when we were well beaten. Your league position is a bit of a mystery to a lot of us.

With respect to the "spend untold money" comment. clearly we've offered significant wages to players this season (although nowhere near the highest in the league) but the boards strategy has been to spend on player wages and not transfer fees and given that we started with a squad of 4 contracted players last June our season has been a minor miracle, irrespective of where we finish in the league.

Good luck to the Imps for the rest of the season.

Yesterdays starting X1
Amos Free
Darikwa Free
Watts Loan
Watmough Free
Kerr £630,000
Bennet Free
Naylor Free
Power Free
Lang Academy product
Keane Free
Magennis Undisclosed

Also signed on "Frees" were Wyke, Edwards, Cousins and McClean who have all featured a lot this season.
No disrespect, but do you know the wage bill? I very much doubt Wyke, McClean et al are on minimum wage.
You have a very good side. The money subject is based purely around the administration and cheap clearing of debt quickly followed by what must be a hefty wage bill. Maybe the local small businesses stuffed by administration might share the feeling. We've been there ourselves. The key difference? We then followed with a side made up of non-league players and outcasts, we didn't sign the Sunderland top scorer.
Anyway good luck next season. If you could just oblige and let Rotherham (an administration playing regular in the past) win the league for my hefty treble, I'll be happy.