Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United

Following the sending off the game was exciting because of the relentless pressure, but in all honesty this side can play better than that.

I was watching on ifollow but I also had Soccer Saturday on in the background. I agreed with Bianca Westwood when they went to her after our fortunate equaliser that it had been a nothing-game till then.

Obviously can't fault anyone for effort and commitment, but a lot of the football in the match was mediocre.

Great, and important, win though.

Have you heard the Jona Lewie hit "You'll always find me in the kitchen at parties"?

Yes we played better last Sunday but that was a typical blood and thunder League 1 match. We were trying to be inventive throughout I thought and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but I wouldn't use a term mediocre at any point

You getting spoiled by La Liga????

Ha ha, no.

I'm just saying if you look back on the first hour we did not play particularly well. Lots of aggression and endeavour, but lots of miscontrol and misplaced passes.

The last half hour made up for it.

Anyway looking forward to Sunlan and doing a league double over them. I'm guessing that would be a rare event....

If somebody had said to me - whilst losing to North Fucking Ferriby not so very long ago - "Don't worry, in just a few short years you'll be watching us play Sunderland at the Stadium of Light having just beaten Ipswich and Peterborough", I probably wouldn't have believed them.

Happy days!

Great stuff - as we were coming out of the ground my mate turned to me and said ...' I think that I hate effing Posh more than I do Grimsby' ....now that's saying something as my mate is a really quite and measured person - but I have to agree with him and Notty's comments about 'shithouses'

Well I’ve had worse weeks supporting the Imps.
Nothing much in it 1st half, despite giving the balk away still seemed like a quality finish from Toney, which was the difference up to that point.
When Dembele came on (for the anonymous Eisa who looked very poor) I remarked how he changed the game in the away match. And he did again, but not in the same way. Looked clear from where I was he moved his head towards Joe’s.
Then one off the inside of the post and a flying save before Grant added his name to that of Habergham, Shack & Eardley as scorers iff great free kicks in recent times.

What a way to start the new year. Wasn't much between the two teams but we bossed the second half, particularly after they went down to 10. One of the most effective performances you'll see against 10 men. We stretched them, created space and were churning out chance after chance. I thought it was going to be one of those days where just couldn't find the winner, but Grant steps up and produces a magnificent strike.

The Appleton style of football is really starting to shine. It is very effective going forward and gets the ball in to dangerous positions. The flip side of that is the number of times we gave the ball away cheaply in defence. It happened 4 or 5 times before it ultimately cost us a goal. When there are players like Tony on the pitch you can't afford to do it that regularly. Other than that, I thought Peterborough created very little and we defended them well.

Toney is some player. Fast, strong, good in the air and with the ball at his feet and, as we saw, an excellent finisher he'll go for some big money.

That said, Morrell was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. It was a magnificent performance. I was sat in the perfect seat to watch his cross field passes time and time again. He bossed the midfield and carried the ball forward at will. We must try and keep him until the end of the season.

All the lads played well, but quick mention for Akinde who had a very good impact on the game when he came on, gave the peterborough defenders something extra to think about.

Peterborough are a decent side and defend their box very well (including the keeper). They have a good forward line to, but struggled to create much. If they are up there, we should be able to push up the league a bit. Nice to be closer to play offs than Relegation.