Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United

I thought pound for pound Peterborough were the poorest side at LNER this season - yes I know Southend were atrocious but Eisa's transfer fee and wages alone probably covers their entire squad. Their midfield were dominated throughout the game. They only looked dangerous when we actually had possession near our own goal! Once we cut that out in the second half they had absolutely nothing going forward. We were the better side going forward first half and it was only some heavy touches and wrong decisions that limited us. Again once we sorted that out second half we got our just desserts. By the end Peterborough looked ragged, unfit, disinterested and well beaten and I don't think going down to 10 had that much of an influence. If I was a Posh fan I would be fuming with their team on many levels. In contrast we looked like a genuine team that grew into the game with superior fitness, tactics, team work, attitude, shape, desire and creativity. Wonderful to see and there's not much sweeter than a well deserved last minute winner against the time share mogul, spiv and wife beater.

Last edited:
Good to see Barry Fry pre kick off looking well, at 17.00 he may have aged a few years. Got talking to one of their supporters on the way back to the car, said we deserved it but Posh had a total lack of confidence over the past few games. Wished him luck !!

Looks like we now have the strength of character to come from behind. Equaliser may have been deflected but I think we earned that luck. Just wish we would shoot from distance more often. Great free kick from Grant gave us a deserved victory. Back to back wins with 7 goals scored and two 10,000 gates. More please 👍👊👏😃😃

Odd tactics by posh playing a real narrow diamond and Woodyard was completely out of his comfort zone and George Boyd really has gone downhill.

I thought Woodyard was their most effective CM. He was evidently used to try and hold back Toffolo. It didn’t work but I don’t think he played badly.

If Morrell goes and Woodyard replaces him I wouldn’t be disappointed (yes I think Morrell is better)

I thought Woodyard was their most effective CM. He was evidently used to try and hold back Toffolo. It didn’t work but I don’t think he played badly.

If Morrell goes and Woodyard replaces him I wouldn’t be disappointed (yes I think Morrell is better)

I seriously don't think there is any comparison between Morrell and Woodyard. Morrell is head and shoulders above anything we ever had from Woodyard. When Morrell goes back to BC (hopefully in the summer), replacing him with Woodyard would not be how I see MA building his team.

Testament to the players fitness - same team for the 3 games within a week, and we were still full of running. A few more options in January wouldn’t go amiss to keep things fresh.

Great second half performance, we deserved to win it. Complete moment of madness from Dembele. If I was Ferguson I would of made him walk home.

Morell started the season well and seems to be getting better every game.

Thought Bostwick was excellent in his defensive duties. Couldn’t understand trying to play it out from the back earlier when they had three high pressers.

Two great back to back wins and two 10k attendances what more could We ask for this last few days.

Special mention for big John Akinde who I can be quite critical of. I thought he was excellent today when he came on, and caused them all kinds of problems.

Last edited:
I seriously don't think there is any comparison between Morrell and Woodyard. Morrell is head and shoulders above anything we ever had from Woodyard. When Morrell goes back to BC (hopefully in the summer), replacing him with Woodyard would not be how I see MA building his team.
Morrell makes forward runs and passes it forward, Woodyard rarely does that , chalk and cheese as you rightly say.

I don't think Alex would be replacing Morrell in our midfield?
Different types of player, Morrell is developing the dynamic part of his game, much more inclined to get forward.

One common ground is lack of goals, really looked set a couple of times for Joe to open his account today, he'll have to bag the winner on Saturday instead.

Their fans are a weird lot aren't they? Well, some. They were having their own game of hooligan bingo today and ticking just about every one of them off.
couldnt make it today,what happened?i havnt read of any trouble occuring. Also, what sort of reception did Woodyard get?

Something I should mention which I didn't replay but may be visible on the highlights is that the winning free kick was taken from the wrong place.

Grant placed the ball about two yards back from where the foul was made, allowing him to put the ball at the perfect distance from the goal.

And I know it's difficult to pass judgement on players you only see a couple of times but anyone from a higher level that takes Maddison or Eisa will be taking a hell of a gamble. In fact was Eisa withdrawn at any stage (serious question) as I don't remember seeing him?

Spot on re Eisa and Maddison.

I have watched Posh four times this season and Eisa looks lightweight but does have the knack of scoring goals. Toney does the hard yards for him, I think, but clubs will take a punt on goalscorers. Conor Washington went from Posh to QPR for a rumoured £2.5/£3 milllion after a hot streak at the end of 2016. He is now playing for Hearts up in Scotland having being released by QPR and Sheffield United!

Maddison will also be a risk. He has been linked with a host of Championship clubs over the past two years but none have taken the plunge. He has a release clause of £2.5 million but his contract is up at the end of this season. I had a discussion with a League One coach at a relative's wedding two years ago who alleged that Maddison was rumoured to be bad news in the changing room. Having said that Maddison is an outstanding long passer of a football and can also score some spectacular goals.

couldnt make it today,what happened?i havnt read of any trouble occuring. Also, what sort of reception did Woodyard get?
Don't know what trouble was going on at the other end of the ground from me you will have to get somebody else's opinion on that but Woodyard was subjected to some unnecessary booing, not a lot but still audible, after all he has done for us!

There was a guy behind me shouting "******!" at him all through the game. Unbelievable.

He got quite a bit of stick for reasons unknown to me.

Left on good terms after we accepted a good offer from a team in a league above closer to his hometown. I'm not sure why any one would give him abuse.