Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

I don't know how we managed to get this one over the line. Barely could have watching last 10 mins..
Oxford is a really good team. Better than their place in the table for sure.
We didn't play well. We were worse than against dons last Tuesday but got all the three points this time. Football.

You have to admire our attitude and character. That's why we're still unbeaten at home.

Great three points 👏👏

Ah come on now, I’m sure that’s not the only thing. I’m sure you can find other things to whinge about, from the comfort of your settee.

I'm still paying money to watch wherever I am sat, which I assume you are too, and this is getting close to not being value-for-money any longer.

And, after 58 years of following LCFC, I find that very difficult to say.

I'm still paying money to watch wherever I am sat, which I assume you are too, and this is getting close to not being value-for-money any longer.

You should try being just behind the dugouts most matches. Worth every penny. Especially hearing Kennedy coaching the players from the sidelines. Just got to be patient and wait for him to have 100% his own side.

You should try being just behind the dugouts most matches. Worth every penny. Especially hearing Kennedy coaching the players from the sidelines. Just got to be patient and wait for him to have 100% his own side.

I agree Jules. I'd find that far more interesting than listening to Hortin and Gordon! :)

Slightly longer than me. And league 1, comfortable mid table, unbeaten at home? I'd have bitten your hand off for those heady heights.

After the NL years and nothing seasons in League 2/3/4, there's some entitled narks about.

They weren’t too bad were they, bar poor finishing and outstanding goalkeeping by our custodian …. no chance of them going down.

Looked good up to our 18 yard box didn’t they, but had zero cutting edge. I know Matt Taylor is a massive shithouse but not sure why they got shot of him based on that showing?

An interesting comment by MK in Hully's press conference summary:

"MK certainly does not shut up shop when the side goes ahead but is very clear with the players that they are not to chase the game either and reassures them that with patience a second goal may come."

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/mk-i-think-weve-created-clear-cut-chances-to-do-that/

That explains ultimately why we draw so many games. That second goal that MK believes 'may' come actually seldom does, and 'may' is also a bit unconvincing. Only once in the last 14 games have Lincoln scored more than one goal (Accrington away), which suggests the philosophy is a bit flawed.

I think we should take that interview in the round with other interviews- he has said he doesn't want as many loanees next season (which implies, whilst he respects their abilities), some of them haven't worked out this season. I think his view also reflects how he sees the abilities of the team as a whole this season. I'm not sure we will see a similar ongoing approach as the team is shaped around his philosophy moving forward.

I am still very excited at the prospect of what MK will achieve once he has his own squad. To be 11th in League One, still unbeaten at home in March, with one of the best defences in the division, with someone else's unbalanced, misfiring squad is incredible regardless of how the points are being accumulated. He clearly knows how to organise a team, no question at all about that, and I think he knows exactly where the remaining problems are and how to fix them. Let's get over the safety line (looking likely to be 49 points at the moment) and look forward to next season. This is just for now, that will be then.

Unbeaten at home all season
Unbeaten in the last 9 (in fact unbeaten in the last two months)
6 clean sheets in the last 9
11th in L1
2nd double this season (after Brizzle)

Football is such a funny old game- I think we were better than Tuesday night (others may disagree). Oxford certainly were far superior to MK Dons in all but their finishing.

Defensively today was solid - O'Connor, Poole, Montsma- what a central three! Sorensen re-appraising the role at right wingback he took up yon Tuesday night and Roughan at LB. Another clean sheet- Oxford threw a lot at us, particularly second half (which was almost an exact replay of the away game earlier on this season.

First half we showed intent and endeavour- penalty was not in question when Mandriou was hacked from the back and had the confidence to bury the penalty. I don't think Rushworth really had anything to do first half. We looked comfortable, Oxford looked ok with the ball but didn't really create too much until the last 5 mins or so when Roughan cleared off the line.

Half time 1-0....and no boos this time!

Second half saw Oxford come back into it- from where I was sat, for the first 15 mins of 2nd half their No 14 found space in the pocket in front of our back 3 (MK says their No 8 was creating too much - he's the coach!). Whatever it was, Shodipo subbed for Diamond on 60 mins and a formation change to a back four with Sorensen moving back into his more familiar midfield holding role. Whether it was 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 (looked more like the latter until BIshop went off) who knows but Oxford created a couple of chances 2nd half and 1 good save from Rushworth and 1 worldie from Rushworth kept us in it (Eushworth being a worthy MOTM).

Nail biting last 10, hung on for a decent win, 3 points and up to 11th.

Enjoyed today, crowd seemed to enjoy with a decent atmosphere today. MK commenting on the crowd singing Sorensens name when he was subbed.

A season is a marathon not a sprint and 11th after 33 games....what's not to like!

Although the entertainment value is very low at present, I do have hopes for MK for next season.

He has terrific defensive players, but equally he know he is seriously short on creativity.

Of the non-defenders who played today, I have a feeling only House and Erhahon will be here next year. Not even sure about Mandroiu to be honest, who I think struggles to cope with the physicality of this level. However a full pre-season may benefit him in that respect.

I am still very excited at the prospect of what MK will achieve once he has his own squad. To be 11th in League One, still unbeaten at home in March, with one of the best defences in the division, with someone else's unbalanced, misfiring squad is incredible regardless of how the points are being accumulated. He clearly knows how to organise a team, no question at all about that, and I think he knows exactly where the remaining problems are and how to fix them. Let's get over the safety line (looking likely to be 49 points at the moment) and look forward to next season. This is just for now, that will be then.
I'm not sure it'll be as high as 49. It's on for 43 at the minute, but even allowing for the odd run of form towards the end of the season, I'm not sure 4th bottom are going to win half their games and make it to 49.

I was watching him from the GBM stand and he was getting quite irate at one point with our players. I'm sure he's not happy with our overall performances even if the results have us 11th in the league. Keep going Mark - most of us are 100% behind you and looking forward to the future.

Not sure whether this checks out or not, but does it feel a fairly low scoring bottom half of the table this season compared to previous ones? We obviously have issues scoring, but you read around the forums and Vale, Cheltenham, Portsmouth (to a lesser extent), Fleetwood, Oxford, Accy, Morecambe, MK, Cambridge and FGR are all saying the same thing having the same conversations.