Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

Erhahon is a good player, with athleticism, vision and determination....he is 21 and already worth his place.

I thought he has done well in all his games.
He will get stronger and better and probably quite quickly.

Really promising.

I agree 100% he is a good player. However he has not been as good in the last two games as he was in the others, most likely due - as you say - to our lack of possession overall.

He really struggled to get into the game today, but then the whole team struggled in that middle area of the field - with long crossfield balls to the opposite flank being preferred many times to playing through midfield.

I'm looking forward to seeing Erhahon with Virtue alongside him. Then I think we would have far more possession in the midfield than we are getting at the moment.

I agree 100% he is a good player. However he has not been as good in the last two games as he was in the others, most likely due - as you say - to our lack of possession overall.

He really struggled to get into the game today, but then the whole team struggled in that middle area of the field - with long crossfield balls to the opposite flank being preferred many times to playing through midfield.

I'm looking forward to seeing Erhahon with Virtue alongside him. Then I think we would have far more possession in the midfield than we are getting at the moment.
It doesn’t matter who we have in midfield Mike, if we persist with 2 we will always be outnumbered and have less possession. As has been said before 523 is a defensive and negative formation, any team playing like that will continually have less possession. Of course more possession doesn’t mean you win the game but in most cases over a season you create more chances, score more goals so pick up more points, also it’s usually a better watch

I'm still paying money to watch wherever I am sat, which I assume you are too, and this is getting close to not being value-for-money any longer.

And, after 58 years of following LCFC, I find that very difficult to say.
Cheer up Mike. It must be better to grind out points in L1 for the sake of building something better in the future than playing nice to watch football against North Ferriby in NL.. 😊✌️

Great to get three points but arguably the wrong team won today. They were quicker, more purposeful and better in most areas apart from centre backs and goalkeepers. That is probably unfair on their keeper as he didn’t have a meaningful save to make and barely a cross to gather. Rushworth on the other hand was busier and made one decent and one brilliant save.

Some of our players were so anonymous you had to remind yourself they were on the pitch. It was a hard watch, seldom could we put five passes together. It’s ok having a good defence but today we had almost nothing up front and a midfield that was regularly swamped.

Afterwards MK admitted Oxford were probably the better side. There is still a lot to do, but up to 11th, three points and unbeaten at home are big positives.

It doesn’t matter who we have in midfield Mike, if we persist with 2 we will always be outnumbered and have less possession. As has been said before 523 is a defensive and negative formation, any team playing like that will continually have less possession. Of course more possession doesn’t mean you win the game but in most cases over a season you create more chances, score more goals so pick up more points, also it’s usually a better watch
He's getting us to the end of the season, John, that is patently obvious; he is getting us over the line, no more, no less; this is all about what happens next season and thereafter, but we have to be there first.

Good god, did you never see us under Holdsworth or Buckley?

He's getting us to the end of the season, John, that is patently obvious; he is getting us over the line, no more, no less; this is all about what happens next season and thereafter, but we have to be there first.
We are as good as over the line, I think 45 points will see survival this season. 13 games left to see if we can be more flexible and adventurous than the current pragmatic style. It’s a chance to see if MK can be adaptable to change and can coach a more front foot approach, next seasons ST income could well be influenced by how we finish and how we setup to play.

What I will remember from today is the stunning save from Rushworth, a long time since I can recall anything like it. If it was in the premier league sky would be showing it on the top of the hour continuously.

I think we deserved to win today because of how hard we worked in defence and kept our shape. The other lot especially second half had most of the forward play, but so what, they were not allowed to create many clear cut chances because of how well we stuck to our task and a superb keeper who gives confidence to that defence. When the Ref blew at full time, 44 points thank you and relative safety , for the past few weeks that has been our aim and almost there now, and prepare for next season. Just listened to the Fans Forum and more reason to think our Club are in safe hands, nothing I would want to change there.
UTI.

Great to get three points but arguably the wrong team won today. They were quicker, more purposeful and better in most areas apart from centre backs and goalkeepers. That is probably unfair on their keeper as he didn’t have a meaningful save to make and barely a cross to gather. Rushworth on the other hand was busier and made one decent and one brilliant save.

Some of our players were so anonymous you had to remind yourself they were on the pitch. It was a hard watch, seldom could we put five passes together. It’s ok having a good defence but today we had almost nothing up front and a midfield that was regularly swamped.

Afterwards MK admitted Oxford were probably the better side. There is still a lot to do, but up to 11th, three points and unbeaten at home are big positives.
You can argue all you like who is the better side....what I can guarantee is if we had played like Oxford, there would have been posting saying we need a plan B.

Oxford have played 2 more games than us and are 8 (eight) points behind us

If you look at the 10 teams above us they will all have a bigger budgets than us I reckon....

Our recent record
D D W W D D D D W

notice anything missing?

If you can put together a record like that with the players you describe....someone must know what they are doing!

We have a board looking to move us forward....

The only gripe anyone seems to have is how....

...well perhaps Oxford need to ask Mark Kennedy how because our how is much more successful than their how.

Last edited:
You can argue all you like who is the better side....what I can guarantee is if we had played like Oxford, there would have been posting saying we need a plan B.

Oxford have played 2 more games than us and are 8 (eight) points behind us

If you look at the 10 teams above us they will all have a bigger budgets than us I reckon....

Our recent record
D D W W D D D D W

notice anything missing?

If you can put together a record like that with the players you describe....someone must know what they are doing!

We have a board looking to move us forward....

The only gripe anyone seems to have is how....

...well perhaps Oxford need to ask Mark Kennedy how because our how is much more successful than their how.

Just stated what happened Chimp, and mentioned the positives. It’s not pretty, or particularly entertaining but the results show it works well enough to keep us in League 1. End of.

Just stated what happened Chimp, and mentioned the positives. It’s not pretty, or particularly entertaining but the results show it works well enough to keep us in League 1. End of.
For neutrals yesterday you could argue there was not much for them, but, for us Imps supporters there certainly was. A great organised hard working defensive display, especially second half, backed by a superb keeper. We had belief that we could win, the other lot maybe didn't. I am sure when MK has the players he wants the style will change but until then he is making the very best of what he has got. The records show we are hard to beat and are top of the mini Table of the 'rest' in Div 1. Braintree away seems a long time ago now !!, the Club through appointing the right people has made huge strides forward, the Fans Forum the other night reinforced that. Long may it continue.
UTI.

Erhahon is playing well in a get stuck in and win the ball then a quick pass kind of way. It's what Bridcutt was lauded for doing a couple of seasons back. Watching via IFollow you don't see how he reads the opponents attacks and positions himself to make those interceptions. Not exactly sexy football but effective. Bit like the rest of the team in many ways.

I agree - our own 21 year old player we can develop next seasons midfield around. It’s a brilliant start to this Summer’s recruitment. In House, Erhahon, Jackson, O’Connor, Montsma we have the makings of a formidable spine. Rushworth and Poole will be the big challenges to replace but I feel like we’re in a really good place for next season.

It's a very stretched division this year and one that seems to be going to 'likely' budgets. Look at the ten above us bar Shrewsbury and then contrast with those below.

It's nice to see Peterborough hitting a relative wall, and us above the likes of Oxford, Charlton and MK Dons.

Yesterday was pragmatic, realistic and functional. MK's intelligent and grounded approach is building a solid base and putting us in good position to jockey next season.

I can quite happily tread water until the crucial summer recruitment. That and next season is where my expectations lie. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a more expansive game next year but looking at L1 competition that may well still only lead to a mid table finish - just in a different manner.

I wonder if fans who are not happy with the current style of play would take 11th but with more 'entertaining' football. I expect some would, but there may still be others that demand exciting football plus the play offs.

It's a diverse fan base and we all have different views on how we should be playing and what our league position should be. I see a shrewd coach who isn't being distracted by all the noisy 'diversity' and is resolutely developing something that with the continued backing of the board may pleasantly surprise us all over the next year or two.

It’s a fair point Hully. Personally I would happily take 11th place in this division alongside a more progressive and entertaining playing style.
I find it quite strange that most people think we will be better next season when MK has the summer window to bring his own players in, it doesn’t automatically follow that this will be the case. We have some excellent defenders and a brilliant keeper who have been superbly well organised by MK to secure most of our points to practically secure safety this season. We will lose Rushworth and Poole definately and possibly even Walsh, Jackson and Roughan. Replacing that defensive quality will be hard so will we have the same sound secure defence so that we can play a more adventurous attacking game which will require a big tactical tweak and mindset from the management and players. If MK doesn’t trust his team to attack as a unit with Poole, Montsma, O’Connor and Rushworth behind them I can’t see much changing next year.
It’s pretty well accepted that it’s easier to coach good players to stop a better team playing than it is to teach good players to be a strong attacking unit.

It’s a fair point Hully. Personally I would happily take 11th place in this division alongside a more progressive and entertaining playing style.
I find it quite strange that most people think we will be better next season when MK has the summer window to bring his own players in, it doesn’t automatically follow that this will be the case. We have some excellent defenders and a brilliant keeper who have been superbly well organised by MK to secure most of our points to practically secure safety this season. We will lose Rushworth and Poole definately and possibly even Walsh, Jackson and Roughan. Replacing that defensive quality will be hard so will we have the same sound secure defence so that we can play a more adventurous attacking game which will require a big tactical tweak and mindset from the management and players. If MK doesn’t trust his team to attack as a unit with Poole, Montsma, O’Connor and Rushworth behind them I can’t see much changing next year.
It’s pretty well accepted that it’s easier to coach good players to stop a better team playing than it is to teach good players to be a strong attacking unit.
Fair point with losing few key players. I was talking last night after the game about replacing Rushworth. That'd be like a mission impossible almost..

On the other hand if we were able to bring players like Carl or Erhahon let's hope we'll be able to bring few more players of that quality again.

Not sure if we'll be better or not next season but I can see a manager (head coach) who deserves bit of credit.

Walsh will be no loss, he has hardly played for two years and is unlikely to. I cannot see a queue forming for Roughan yet, he is certainly nowhere near Championship standard for instance; Jackson is almost 29, I cannot see him being high on many wish lists elsewhere - he may move for a final payday somewhere (like Salford); Poole is only an asset when he plays at centre-back, there are lots of right-sided wing-backs available who offer more in that position than he does. And on the flip side, we would not need so much strength in defence if we were a more effective attacking unit. So there are many ways of looking at this. There are lots of good players out there, it is foolish to believe that we cannot replace our better players. How did we acquire them in the first place?

That's football though, nothing is a sure thing...