Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

A superb, and unexpected, all round display. What pleased me most was the way virtually every player got about the pitch and supported each other. In the previous games players went missing and there were gaps at the back. Today there were none - everyone played their part and supported each other in a solid, disciplined performance. Jones & McGrandles have previously been a bit anonymous but they came alive and did everything they needed to do, and Jones was a bit of a powerhouse in midfield and going forward. Some of the quick, short passing was a pleasure to watch and they looked as though they had been doing it for months. Excellent physicality as well, this team shouldn’t be bullied by anyone. Great team selection and tactics from MA - Oxford really had no answer to us in any department. If there was one criticism it was the rashness of a couple of challenges by young Roughan and Montsma, but they will lean. 👏👏👏

Tony Scully stat.
Last 4 league starts for us 3 goals.
Needs a longer contract asap imho, don't want to lose him in the summer.

Agree he looks promising so far.

If the stat reads 30 goals in 40 games time then that would be a slightly more powerful stat!

It always takes two to tango.
The reason for an 18 month initial contract - we don't know.

If both parties want to extend they will.

If he becomes the scoring machine you think the stat indicates, but wants to leave, at least he is under 24 and we would get compensation.

I wonder what's happening with Chapman where we have the same safeguard?

After a bit more reflection, must not fall into the Lincoln trap of getting carried away and then falling into the depths of despair if we hit some bumps in the road (which I think are likely).
But one thing I was pleased with is we seem to have learned from the previous games, much better defensively & from set pieces. Also I think we had a reasonable balance playing out from the back. It definitely helps having defenders & keeper who are better with ball at feet, half the battle seems to be being able to restart quickly where you can see some space.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but not Ross yesterday? Long in to cover the home-grown rule?

I think the home grown rule is different now with the salary cap unless that aspect wasn't ratified and I missed it. I'd have thought Roughan would be classed as home grown though as well under last seasons rules as he's been with us a year now

I think the home grown rule is different now with the salary cap unless that aspect wasn't ratified and I missed it. I'd have thought Roughan would be classed as home grown though as well under last seasons rules as he's been with us a year now
Ah, has he? For some reason I thought he'd joined at some point back end of the year.

From the EFL website concerning 'Homegrown player'

A “Home Grown Player” is defined in the (Rule 33.8) as a player who:
  • irrespective of their nationality or age, has been registered with either:
    • their current club (who is a member of the EFL); and/or
    • a club and/or any other football club affiliated with the Football Association (“FA“) or Football Association of Wales (for example, EPL or non-league clubs)
    • for a period, continuous or non-continuous, of three seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which they turn 21).
However it then continues with what constitutes a Club Developed player

33.11 Club Developed Players. Subject to Regulation 33.12 each Club shall be required to nominate at least one Club Developed Player on their Squad List on each occasion that it is due for submission, or on their Team Sheet of Players for all League Competition Matches (including Play Off Matches). Where any Club does not name a Club Developed Player on the Team Sheet, that Club will only be permitted to name up to six substitutes on that League Team Sheet (rather than the seven as permitted by Regulation 33.4).
33.12 If any Club has prior to the date of the applicable League Competition Match (including Play Off Matches) transferred the registration of two or more Club Developed Players and:
33.12.1 in consideration for the transfer of each Club Developed Player’s registration, the Club receives an initial Transfer Fee, Compensation Fee and/or compensation in accordance with the Youth Development Rules on transfer of the registration; and
33.12.2 each of the transferred Club Developed Players:
(a) are, as at the date of the applicable Match registered as a Contract Player with a Club (or club) in the same division or higher (including, in the case of a Championship Club, the Premier League); and
(b) are or will be aged 24 or under on 1 January in the Season in which the applicable Match occurs,
then, the Club will not be required to comply with the requirements of Regulation 33.11.

In effect the majority of our squad would qualify under the homegrown rules. We have to name at least 7 on the team sheet.

The club developed rule is a little obscured by the bits concerning selling of an asset and we could probably identify someone somewhere within the EFL who covers this for us.

Agree he looks promising so far.

If the stat reads 30 goals in 40 games time then that would be a slightly more powerful stat!

It always takes two to tango.
The reason for an 18 month initial contract - we don't know.

If both parties want to extend they will.

If he becomes the scoring machine you think the stat indicates, but wants to leave, at least he is under 24 and we would get compensation.

I wonder what's happening with Chapman where we have the same safeguard?
Agreed he's got loads of potential , looking forward to seeing how he progresses in the next few months.

Clive explained home grown/club grown a while back. If Roughan only joined last summer then he won’t qualify from my understanding.

For those like Notty who like things simple read no further.

Although we now have a 7 home grown player requirement on the Team Sheet following the introduction of Salary Caps we still have a requirement for a club developed player. However, the club developed player rule will change from last season following a successful resolution proposed by Millwall at an EFL meeting last month.

The rule will remain the same as last season until Squad Lists are produced by clubs after the close of the transfer window in October. So until then we must have at least one club developed player in each league match day squad or we can only have 6 subs. After the Squad lists have been submitted we can either have at least one club developed player on the Squad List or on the Team Sheet.

For the game yesterday Sam Long was our club developed player. As a result of the delay in getting international clearance last year for Sean Roughan he has only qualified as a club developed player from today.

For those like Notty who like things simple read no further.

Although we now have a 7 home grown player requirement on the Team Sheet following the introduction of Salary Caps we still have a requirement for a club developed player. However, the club developed player rule will change from last season following a successful resolution proposed by Millwall at an EFL meeting last month.

The rule will remain the same as last season until Squad Lists are produced by clubs after the close of the transfer window in October. So until then we must have at least one club developed player in each league match day squad or we can only have 6 subs. After the Squad lists have been submitted we can either have at least one club developed player on the Squad List or on the Team Sheet.

For the game yesterday Sam Long was our club developed player. As a result of the delay in getting international clearance last year for Sean Roughan he has only qualified as a club developed player from today.

Whoa, I'm sorry Clive, what?!

Would you like me to forward my MA dussertation in Ancient History that is a full demographic and statistical analysis of ancient Greek Hippocratic medical records for our perusal? I got a distinction, by the way.

PhD proposal, pending.

After a bit more reflection, must not fall into the Lincoln trap of getting carried away and then falling into the depths of despair if we hit some bumps in the road (which I think are likely).
But one thing I was pleased with is we seem to have learned from the previous games, much better defensively & from set pieces. Also I think we had a reasonable balance playing out from the back. It definitely helps having defenders & keeper who are better with ball at feet, half the battle seems to be being able to restart quickly where you can see some space.

100% concur. My slant is that we should focus on performances (both team and individual) over results and accept there will be inconsistency, without prejudice.

Whoa, I'm sorry Clive, what?!

Would you like me to forward my MA dussertation in Ancient History that is a full demographic and statistical analysis of ancient Greek Hippocratic medical records for our perusal? I got a distinction, by the way.

PhD proposal, pending.

So are you saying you're actually 31% above being very simple?

And by the way, Notty, my degree included ancient Greek history too, in my case, ancient Greek mathematics. Euclid - what a guy.

My first degree was in Astrinomy & Astroohysics. Euclid was a dude but Einstein was much more useful for that. ;)