Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

We are absolutely crying out for a manager, but we have a coach. Hopefully we can ride this storm but player confidence looks pretty low.

And yes. The amount of corners and throws that hit the first man is absolutely criminal. How many sessions does he need to find an L1 player that can kick it as far as the penalty spot?
We had the opportunity to bring the messiah back but choose to over look him

Well I don’t really understand this, unless I’m wrong (I very well could be!) Skubala’s preferred formation is 4-2-3-1. Surely he would have made this clear during interviewing. Therefore, they/we should expect changes in players to meet his requirements. I think we would need 4-5 additions (oddly mainly in defence which our strength currently).

...and in the board's view and possibly the recruitment team's too, MS already has the players to play his preferred style - when everybody is fit

Even before the injured players come back, with the impending addition of Draper and Moylan he probably does have a decent pool to play 4-2-3-1 - with the exception of a left back.

However its all well and good saying you have a preferred system, but if you can't put that into practice on the field, its all talk. To be honest, I saw more signs of tactical acumen in Tom Shaw's first couple of games than I have seen so far from MS.

I think a lot would agree with this. However, how often have you seen us even try and play like that in the last 5-6 matches? That’s the frustrating thing!
Bolton, until Mandriou got 2 kicks from a lad and decided to take his Achilles out of his body. And you could see all confidence go from the team then.

I’ll admit I don’t see us often because I’m based away so a lot here will have seen us more often.

I bought a ticket for Blackpool as soon as they came on sale. I haven't bothered paying £10 to watch the last 2 games on iFollow. Why should I fork out another £50 to go to Blackpool on Monday?

Feel for the Jabara family witnessing that tonight given how much they’ve done financially to support the club
The deep pockets will need some encouragement and some honest expectations I’d guess
In one way I am pleased. The investors need to see it first hand how poor we are not from in front of their tv

Bolton, until Mandriou got 2 kicks from a lad and decided to take his Achilles out of his body. And you could see all confidence go from the team then.

I’ll admit I don’t see us often because I’m based away so a lot here will have seen us more often.
Then I’ll say we had two very different views on the Bolton game!

We were rubbish (again) but I think it's too soon to judge Skubala. He's inherited a team with no firepower or cutting edge, and a choice of strikers that a National League side wouldn't envy. He needs time, he needs a transfer window, and he needs to get some players back fit. If we still look rubbish after that, then fair enough, let's have that conversation.

We're not going to get relegated. We're still a long way clear of danger and we're still mostly good at defending. But it's a tough watch at the moment. Recruitment in January needs to be spot on and Skubala needs to make good on his promise of a more expansive style, or else it's going to be another long grind of a season.

I do disagree with a lot of the comments here. I was at the game and don’t believe we deserved to lose.

Jensen was overconfident having just made a great save and made a mistake. He’s young, he’ll learn we move on.

Skubala didn’t have the set up correct from our set piece for the counter for the 2nd and Northampton worked it very well. He’ll learn and adapt.

The turning point of the game was when Simpson cleaned out Eyoma just after our goal. It was a straight red challenge. He was late with no intention of playing the ball. He wanted to hurt the player. As soon as that happened, they kicked, tripped and time wasted everything and the ref had no control. I don’t think O’Connor threw an elbow from what I could see - but their players screamed at the ref and he crumbled. And that’s why we lost today.

We’re doing the right things, other than set piece counters I don’t think we looked troubled defensively. Going forwards, our players just need a goal. They’re young, they need confidence. We created some fantastic chances, think Adelakun 1 on 1. With confidence, the passes will be better, the first touches will work, the legs feel fresher, you get more luck and we close and push better

I still believe when it clicks, this team is capable of beating anyone in this league. I don’t think recruitment has been bad. There’s only 1 mistake I can see and that’s because we didn’t understand the extent of the injury he had. I stick with, if we had fit strikers - we would be having very different conversations, and very little about the team would have actually changed.

Northampton shat bricks when we actually attacked (I mean had the ball under proper control, not a long ball). They couldn’t handle Bishop’s running or Hamilton’s constant pressing or Adelakun dropping deep to spread the play or Lasse’s constant running.

I don’t think we’re far away at all - but I look forward to the replies saying I don’t know what I’m on about.

We were certainly better than we were against Bolton, but there was no real style of play or organisation - just throwing as many people forward as we could in response to the criticism MS had clearly picked up on about us being too defensive.

That in turn left gaping holes at the back, which cost us the second goal and a point.

Adelakun did OK, but shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. Bishop I thought was a non-entity apart from a couple of late runs. He is close to being our highest paid player - he should be running a game, not making the odd cameo run. Paudie, like Danny, doesn't seem to have a brain cell in his head - definite red card. Hamilton was wasted - out of position and no idea where he should have been playing. And as regards Jensen's distribution when we were chasing the game, the less said the better.

Albeit watching on iFollow, it looked like 16 Sunday League players on the Cowpaddle realising their coach was still in the pub and not having a clue what to do without him.

Not quite sure what the short term or long term plan is. However again tonight was pretty pathetic, and we really look a poor side.

BBC Radio Lincs after the game hit the nail on the head, we set off the season in one direction and signed solid but non spectacular players to then wanting to play a different style. Now we are doing neither, looks quite odd from the outside.

Just watched highlights - shocking call for the red card. Hope we appeal and get it repealed. Ref fell for their tricks.
It’s a harsh red but it’s not getting over turned. O’Connor had his arm raised and the fa will back decisions made by refs.

A bit of an exercise in consistently shooting ourselves in the foot at bad moments tonight. Started ok but definitely not in a dominant, controlling mode against an average to poor opponent - conceded from an error - missed 1 on 1 - getting on top, conceded from a counter - missed 1 on 1 but then scored from the corner, finally playing with the handbrake off - got a player sent off, game over.

We weren't brilliant tonight but had a glimpse of front foot football for 20 mins against a side we should be looking to dispatch at home but somehow managed to contrive a defeat of our own making.

Tonight's takeaway is, please don't wait until two down at home against average opposition before taking the initiative and going for it.

I stopped going to games just before Kennedy was sacked. I was fed up at spending my time and money to watch the dross that was being served up. When Skubala was appointed I was underwhelmed and remain so and haven’t been to a game since. If things don’t change then league 2 beckons. I don’t know if the Cowleys where interested but does anyone think they wouldn’t have got more out of the current players than Skubala has managed

Indeed and if they and Clive were to walk away now we would be in the shit. Who would underwrite the loses? We would sink like a stone back or even go out of business.

I hope the Cowleys turned us down because of they were in contention I think we have missed a trick.

I have nothing against the new chap I just think he is on a hiding to nothing

Interviewed but no concrete interest in the Cowleys.

Just got home from the match and will comment more tomorrow when I have seen highlights.
I am in the let's give Skubala a chance camp still at the moment.
But I will be critical of him and all the rest of the coaching staff whom I believe have all no doubt got FA coaching badges etc.. etc....
If any of them think that Adelukan taking his useless long throws is a viable tactic then you should hang your heads in shame. They have never been effective usually end up with the opposition breaking away with the ball. And this has been going on in every match he has used them please cop on for Christ's sake!

Little confidence in the recruitment team - we've known about the front players for over 2 seasons and done very little about it - need a experienced midfield general, couple of fast wingers and couple of strikers as starters - let's see ha JG delivery! Uti