Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

What a shame it took us going 0-2 down to get some fire into our play. TJ Eyoma tried his best to get us going. January is now make or break for Michael Skubala and we need to back him to get it right.

Well. Maybe an improved performance, but that was expected against a lesser side and unfortunately we still came out with nothing. Another game with few moments of quality from Lincoln. Thought the red card was harsh and realistically kills the game, though we had a reasonable stab at it. We need to do away with the long throws, it’s a waste of time (and that is saying something given how desperate we are to create chances). Corners are frustratingly inconsistent. Although the performance didn’t seem so bad, the only real positives I can think of are TJ and a good work ethic (particularly when down to 10).

The festive period could not have gone worse; zero points, poor performances, 2 red cards resulting in a combined 8 match ban and an unknown injury to arguably our best player (fingers crossed it’s not too bad for Erahon).

MS getting a good dose of the high pressure career of football management now. The need for a good January window grows with every game.

interesting comments about leonard being their top player and too good for league 1. he is on loan from brighton.
yet we decided to reduce our dependence on loans. always thought that was a big mistake for a club with our finances. i wonder how many l1 teams are running with just three loans, and none from prem teams. naive imo
I think a lot of our issues are recruitment. We took a player on loan who was injured when he comes on the pitch he has done nothing. We have changed to our own goalkeeper and we have lost points because of it.

We have a lot of players who are not good enough or not available enough we are better off having fewer but better players who are available to play

Hopeful pinball mostly, but lots of effort, and entertaining. Lasse up front didn't work unfortunately. Another hot-headed lunge to do harm to the team. Imps have advisers, but do they have anyone who teaches players that losing your head is bad for everyone? Maybe it's just part of the game that enthusiasm, drive and aggression can go either way. Applause or a red.

Cant see where the next point comes from. Yes we need forwards, but the tactics and motivation is seriously lacking. Not sure Skubala knows what to do next.
is it even in his gift? Does he get a say in his signings? Or does he get an email from the director of football or CEO saying here is your new signing?

Set up with little attacking intent and probably got what we deserved. Players out of their natural position and discipline is lacking. The slide has to be stopped in its tracks otherwise we could easily be dragged into the relegation dog fight.

I am not sure about that, should we back Skubala?

We are getting worse by the game, and in no way can that be attributable to losing Hackett, Walker and House.
That’s tellingly negative from you Scotimp…
Maybe expand?

TJ back to his best at least.
O'Connor a bit of a liability - if we go back 4 he is not in it.
Probably overdid the subs at the end. Makama did alright - has tended to when coming on as sub.

Wasn't a bad game to watch despite the result.

Oh well... season just about rebuilding now anyway.

Happy new year everyone! UTI.

We are getting worse by the game, and in no way can that be attributable to losing Hackett, Walker and House.
Can only comment from watching iFollow but nothing’s changed? Set pieces at both ends are terrible, we’re not exactly difficult to beat, there doesn’t appear to be any real team spirit re red cards and Erhanon storming down the tunnel last week etc etc. Terrible stuff that a few forwards won’t change I suspect. Skubala needs some experience assisting him or he needs to reconsider.

Sorry but Skubala has been terrible so far. Exact same tactics as Kennedy (until going 2-0 down tonight). He can carry on saying we can't change things too quickly all he wants but he needs to be keeping these players behind for longer sessions instead and sorting this crap out. We were, what, about 4 or 5 points off the playoffs when he joined and now we're 11 away. Kennedy spoke about attacking, high pressing football when he joined and delivered the opposite. Skubala's supposed to be about possession but we've had less than our opponents in all of our last 7 league games. Sort it out and stop being an even poorer version of our boring previous manager.

We are absolutely crying out for a manager, but we have a coach. Hopefully we can ride this storm but player confidence looks pretty low.

And yes. The amount of corners and throws that hit the first man is absolutely criminal. How many sessions does he need to find an L1 player that can kick it as far as the penalty spot?

Very true. I see no signs of any tactical style at all so far, just like under MK.

We played a little more football when we switched to two up front, which was then ruined by pointless panic substitutions.

My only hope is that from Wycombe we play Draper and Moylan up top, switch to four at the back, and MS shows some tactical acumen to provide us with some entertainment.

While the board have been incredible with their financial support, this is the third consecutive season of total dross. I watch because I can do so from my couch. If I was still living in Lincoln, I would seriously consider whether it was worth leaving the house for.

Set up with little attacking intent and probably got what we deserved. Players out of their natural position and discipline is lacking. The slide has to be stopped in its tracks otherwise we could easily be dragged into the relegation dog fight.
Unless things change dramatically, and soon, being dragged into the relegation dog fight is odds on. There is much more wrong than just the lack of a couple of forwards.