Match Thread: Lincoln City v Hull City | Page 35 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Hull City

I think Eyoma is better defensively and in the air but the attacking angle just doesn't work, he has had basically zero output (bar a header from a corner while playing CB which is not exactly the same thing).

I really don't think Poole and even more markedly Bramall were signed to be out and out defenders, whether people agree with that or not.
From their defensive performances, I for one , wholeheartedly agree with you. Now there's a rarity!
While I'm on, Eardley/Toffolo or Poole/Bramall, which pairing would you choose for Tuesday? Purely hypothetical of course.

The question now is: do we fancy our chances of winning the play-offs, with our key players returning from injury and in theory well-rested?

I hope Portsmouth make it.

From their defensive performances, I for one , wholeheartedly agree with you. Now there's a rarity!
While I'm on, Eardley/Toffolo or Poole/Bramall, which pairing would you choose for Tuesday? Purely hypothetical of course.

Poole and toffolo probably haha

Sadly I think eardley's legs gone a bit hence being on loan at barrow.

Also for all of Neal's enormous quality I'm not sure he's winning that header at the back post either against a six foot 4 striker

Joe is absolutely correct. When we have two other centre halves fit, TJ is a much better right back than Poole. Both going forward and defensively.

His lack of decent forward passing has been evident for weeks, but his defensive frailties are now starting to show too.
Of course Eyoma is a better player than Eyoma, he has a new contract at one of the 12 greatest clubs in Europe. A little sarcasm with a bit of realism!

Any quotes from Appleton? Not had any of the post match on

Re their first goal, if it had been us scoring like that he would have been disappointed if it had been disallowed.

No complaints about their penalty, except up to that point he couldn't see us losing the game.

Walsh and Jackson will both be missing for Tuesday night. Walsh closer than Jackson for a return after that.

Im talking about his interplay with the midfield... not so much crosses into the box. Eyoma spots a forward pass, plays it quickly and accurately has a good understanding with the right sided players and gets them on the ball... by comparison Poole dithers and often the ball goes backwards. Since Poole has played RB the attacking right has been much quieter.

Really don't agree with this at all and it's not evidenced by any metrics either. I think one of the reasons Poole has more touches and passes it backwards noticeably is that they trust him more with the ball into feet and someone pressing.

He was a bit more wayward today though tbf

Indeed, he wouldn't have gone for it.

Not sure a free header for a number 9 6 yards out at the back post is the zinger you think it is haha

A few thoughts on the game which we didn't deserve to lose - they were better in the first half, we were better in the second.

Grant disappointing in the first half but seemed back to his best in the 15 minutes or so of the second. Scully couldn't get into the game in the first half, and although Rogers could he didn't do much - in fact not one of his better games overall.

Re their first goal, if it had been us scoring like that he would have been disappointed if it had been disallowed.

No complaints about their penalty, except up to that point he couldn't see us losing the game.

Walsh and Jackson will both be missing for Tuesday night. Walsh closer than Jackson for a return after that.

Sounds about right to me, although they played much better in that period of 1-1 than they did at 1-0

Poole and toffolo probably haha

Sadly I think eardley's legs gone a bit hence being on loan at barrow.

Also for all of Neal's enormous quality I'm not sure he's winning that header at the back post either against a six foot 4 striker
Bare in mind that we are at a much higher level in terms of quality of football and League position than when Toffs and Eards played. It rather points to the fact that our current fullbacks are retrograde and that MApp has not signed best well in that dept.
I like the guy, a good manager, but that does not mean that he is incapable of mistakes. He now makes positive substitutions, unlike early season when he scarcely made a single one. What do you think, or are you going to constantly jump over each side of the fence?

Bare in mind that we are at a much higher level in terms of quality of football and League position than when Toffs and Eards played. It rather points to the fact that our current fullbacks are retrograde and that MApp has not signed best well in that dept.
I like the guy, a good manager, but that does not mean that he is incapable of mistakes. He now makes positive substitutions, unlike early season when he scarcely made a single one. What do you think, or are you going to constantly jump over each side of the fence?

Let's be realistic though, full backs the quality of toffolo don't grow on trees. Not the kindest comparison. If we could go out and pay someone 10k a week I'm sure we'd have replaced like for like.

Not sure what you're on about with fences tbh, if you can't work out which side of the argument I've been on then god help us all haha

Last edited:
I know it’s not fashionable to question Michael Appleton’s decision making. But the first time we score from a corner in months is one taken by Scully. We then get another corner and Scully prepares to take it only to see the 4th official holding up the board for him to be subbed. Surely Mr Appleton should have delayed the decision until after the corner was taken.

I know it’s not fashionable to question Michael Appleton’s decision making. But the first time we score from a corner in months is one taken by Scully. We then get another corner and Scully prepares to take it only to see the 4th official holding up the board for him to be subbed. Surely Mr Appleton should have delayed the decision until after the corner was taken.

Fair point and good spot although wasn't Scully's best game (nor Rogers') and I think generally you would rather have Hopper in the box for one to either get on the end of it or block someone off. Probably thought about it at the time.

We also scored from a corner routine on Tuesday

A few thoughts on the game which we didn't deserve to lose - they were better in the first half, we were better in the second.

Grant disappointing in the first half but seemed back to his best in the 15 minutes or so of the second. Scully couldn't get into the game in the first half, and although Rogers could he didn't do much - in fact not one of his better games overall.

Agreed re Rogers- he sometimes doesn't get in the game so much but then pops up, wasn't really his game today. He got back and put a few decent challenges in but was slack for their first goal unfortunately - which wasn't defended well all round.