Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crawley Town | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crawley Town

We simply got what we deserved today. Credit to Crawley I thought they were decent. Couple of tricky players. Thought 28 was v good. Not enough energy and passion from us until we went down to 10. These things happen. Forgotten about already . Still top, move on to next game

Tough watch today at SB from our point of view but also the match generally. Difficult with a swirling wind and rain.

We were better with 10 than we were with 11. Crawley were happy to sit in and didn't touch the ball in our box until the 80th minute or something.

The life of a lower league football fan where your team churns out a 90 minute performance a week earlier and you wonder what on earth happened the next game!

First half we didn't get going at all. Crawley saw most of the ball but didn't really threaten bar Palmer somehow missing from about 2 yards, albeit a ball fired in across a very wet surface and Akinde had a similar misfortune at the other end.

Andrade(?) seemed to get caught in the build up to their first and looked a clear foul but they played on down that side.

Second half and on first viewing, it looked a red card for Frecklington and that kicked us into some sort of action, really. With losing O'Connor to injury and Freck within 10 minutes, we had two number ten type of players in CM and couldn't really get enough quality into Akinde who was isolated having moved from 4-3-3 to 4-4-1.

Mensah missed a good chance at the end but given the quality on show from both sides, a 0-0 was probably about right. The game summed up by Bostwick's OG, which seemed to deflect and get sliced in.

Crawley were decent enough. Decent at the back and in midfield with a couple of lively players i forward areas but poor final balls. They'll be a good bet for top half with an outside chance of the PO's.

Ref was baffling in some of his decision makings. Got the big ones correct, not that there were many to make, but inconsistent in his fouls. Shackell gets penalised for hand ball and their player does exactly the same thing, pretty much in the same position only two minutes later and gives nothing. To give him some credit, he booked 3 Crawley players in quick succession for bringing down Pett, Anderson and Andrade in almost identical challenges as they were countering.

Just re-watched the 2nd half again. Thought we deserved a goal for the effort, pity it didn't quite come off. Creepy didn't threaten much.

The Jolley boys outing didn't go so well. Some Cods are revolting...LOL!

Bad result, worse atmosphere. Frecklington meant no malice with his challenge but he could have snapped the other guy's leg and it was the clearest red card you'll ever see. The abuse the Crawley player and the ref got was really toxic, as were the shouts of "snap his legs!" every time there was a challenge after that.
Wouldn't do that myself but to be faie I thought he had broken his leg the way he was after the foul, and I think it was the miraculous recovery that probably wound people up

Tough watch today at SB from our point of view but also the match generally. Difficult with a swirling wind and rain.

We were better with 10 than we were with 11. Crawley were happy to sit in and didn't touch the ball in our box until the 80th minute or something.

The life of a lower league football fan where your team churns out a 90 minute performance a week earlier and you wonder what on earth happened the next game!

First half we didn't get going at all. Crawley saw most of the ball but didn't really threaten bar Palmer somehow missing from about 2 yards, albeit a ball fired in across a very wet surface and Akinde had a similar misfortune at the other end.

Andrade(?) seemed to get caught in the build up to their first and looked a clear foul but they played on down that side.

Second half and on first viewing, it looked a red card for Frecklington and that kicked us into some sort of action, really. With losing O'Connor to injury and Freck within 10 minutes, we had two number ten type of players in CM and couldn't really get enough quality into Akinde who was isolated having moved from 4-3-3 to 4-4-1.

Mensah missed a good chance at the end but given the quality on show from both sides, a 0-0 was probably about right. The game summed up by Bostwick's OG, which seemed to deflect and get sliced in.

Crawley were decent enough. Decent at the back and in midfield with a couple of lively players i forward areas but poor final balls. They'll be a good bet for top half with an outside chance of the PO's.

Ref was baffling in some of his decision makings. Got the big ones correct, not that there were many to make, but inconsistent in his fouls. Shackell gets penalised for hand ball and their player does exactly the same thing, pretty much in the same position only two minutes later and gives nothing. To give him some credit, he booked 3 Crawley players in quick succession for bringing down Pett, Anderson and Andrade in almost identical challenges as they were countering.

Good summary. The Shackell hand ball was crazy. Arms by his side. Quite literally all he could do to get his arms out of the way in time was to not have any.

I thought we looked a bit clueless in the first half. Nothing into Akinde was well directed and we couldn't seem to adapt to the fast skiddy conditions
I have seen Freck go into a few on those challenges before and he usually wins them but they aren't pretty if not timed perfectly
Thought Crawley were up for it as is often the case for a new manager. They defended well especially the one who was fouled by Freck. Their 28 also looked decent although he made some mistakes to go with the quality touches
We have ridden our luck in some games this season, there are some half decent teams in the league and losses are inevitable.

Here's the thing though. Winning is a habit. We didn't really try to win in the FL cup and we didn't really try to win in the checkatrade. Now we lose in the league.

Coincidence?
Well after the FL Cup we beat Exeter away ? So no coincidence.

Or to put it another way. Losing is a habit too.

Good point well made. My late father used to say a similar thing. Aim for a Grade C in your GCSEs and you may get it, although don't be surprised if you fail to get what you want. Work hard, put your best efforts and aim to get the highest grade possible, and you will surprise yourself as to the level you can excel to.

It's all down to mindset. If you try your hardest and are determined to succeed, invariably you will succeed at the highest levels.

You find ways to win, instead of finding ways not to.

Good point well made. My late father used to say a similar thing. Aim for a Grade C in your GCSEs and you may get it, although don't be surprised if you fail to get what you want. Work hard, put your best efforts and aim to get the highest grade possible, and you will surprise yourself as to the level you can excel to.

It's all down to mindset. If you try your hardest and are determined to succeed, invariably you will succeed at the highest levels.

You find ways to win, instead of finding ways not to.
My Dad used to beat the crap out of me and find lots of different ways to tell me what a useless waste of space I was. That's why I need tablets.

We were like the weather today, drab!
Very complacent we just expected to win.
Akinde getting the usual abuse elsewhere actually did OK and tried to link it up but the others were too far away from him, yes he missed an absolute sitter.
The midfield three were our biggest problem just weren't in the game enough for me. Two subbed and one sent off enough said!
Still top and life could be a lot worse, the pies or the cods!

We were like the weather today, drab!
Very complacent we just expected to win.
Akinde getting the usual abuse elsewhere actually did OK and tried to link it up but the others were too far away from him, yes he missed an absolute sitter.
The midfield three were our biggest problem just weren't in the game enough for me. Two subbed and one sent off enough said!
Still top and life could be a lot worse, the pies or the cods!

It was the timing of subs vs sending off that was a problem. There's no way we would have planned Pett and McCartan as a CM pair - they're both listed on the OS as forwards.