Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crawley Town | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crawley Town

Good question. We turned him into a decent footballer. Should be pleased he's doing well. Short memories.

We turned him into a more efficient, unpredictable footballer and the first thing he did on his return was dive. I'd boo that.

Beginning to see all the messages about how Rhead is better than Akinde, best forward etc. This is just madness. 'He won more headers' - yes that's because he's built like a brick privy, has elbows and is very tall.

Try playing him in the channels. Try playing to feet so he can skin players. Try have him pressure defenders with his pace, nick the ball and score. Try him as a lone 'complete' forward and watch us never hit the net again.

It's a crazy assertion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perspective. Yes, yesterday we were complacent, lacking energy, intensity and quality, but we were a competitive League 2 club that probably deserved a point, playing in front of 8000 odd supporters. I enjoyed it. Not the losing of course. Just the fact we are a competitive League club at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. I raced from work at 1pm, arriving in my seat at 3pm (2 hours door to door just manageable) not taking anything for granted. 3 years ago I wouldn't have bothered. I'd have stayed at work and gone to the next game that didn't mean driving, parking and running like a loon to make kick off. 3 years ago we had crowds of 2200 and were un the cusp of losing to Whitehawk and Bradford Park Avenue. UTI and I very much look forward to being competitive against MK Dons in a couple of weeks. A day I can finish work at midday and not have to rush. And we know DC will not allow a low energy performance again (for a while).

Beginning to see all the messages about how Rhead is better than Akinde, best forward etc. This is just madness. 'He won more headers' - yes that's because he's built like a brick privy, has elbows and is very tall.

Try playing him in the channels. Try playing to feet so we he can skin zero players. Try have him pressure defenders with his pace, nick the ball and go on to score.

Try him as a lone 'complete' forward and watch us never score a goal.

It's a crazy assertion.

Just cos they're both built like brick outhouses, some people (not on here, BTW!) seem to be thinking they're the same product :blah:

I'd really like to see, as others have said, Rheady and Akinde starting as a pair up top. Either is a threat alone, they'd be a nightmare to mark and wear the defenders out early and Akinde would lap up Rheady's layoffs and flick-ons. Gives us an aerial threat again too.

Maybe this is a partnership which might take some time to gel, but I can see it happening sooner rather than later.

Yesterday showed us that we miss green. Partnered with a fully fit akinde (Rhead is still a good squad player) we will be dangerous. Akinde in full flight is like watching men v boys.

Whilst it was £10 down the swanny from a result point of view it was good to get the visual compared to the audio I normally get on a Saturday. Andrade looks like a spoilt child who throws a wobbler when it doesn’t go his own way. Still a decent footballer who is making the step up nicely.

Anderson looks like a million pound player in the making - I think he will go to a championship club in a year or two, where he will benefit from better resource and peers. From there I can see him signing for a premiership team a couple of years later. He has the speed, the build and the motivation to succeed. He just needs composure.

I know we lost, but yesterday showed why it was good to flog Palmer. The sitter he missed I should imagine he will be having nightmares about that for a while. Perhaps he is a frustrated defender at heart as it was an excellent clearance.

On another day we would have got 1 or 3 points yesterday. Crawley we good for first 30 mins then ran out of ideas. Perhaps they were doing a Grimsby and playing up for the occasion as the very continental manager in waiting was sitting in the stands.

Dangerous and out of control worse than anything mansfield did but no doubt danny will find a way to defend tackle & performance , this was coming because altho results been great our performances have been less than that exeter apart , think andrade listened to danny post mansfield went down far too easily , could have been worse if ollie sticks sitter away & why boo him dont get it , better when down to ten men strangely enough , rheady did more than akinde in his cameo as well
Did you listen to Danny post match then?

I think next week we may revert back to 5-3-2 that way we can bring in Wharton and Green and it fits the balance.

I just think with 4 at the back Wharton/Shackell wont play together as both left footed.

‘Anderson looks like a million pound player in the making - I think he will go to a championship club in a year or two, where he will benefit from better resource and peers. From there I can see him signing for a premiership team a couple of years later. He has the speed, the build and the motivation to succeed. He just needs composure.’

That’s interesting. I don’t see that at all. For me he’s limited...great in a straight line foot race, but has no real tricks to use if he can’t just run past someone. Not consistent in his final ball and his finishing is average at best. He’s not ‘that’ young...think the composure would be showing by now. Has he really improved that much since we first had him on loan. Hope I’m wrong though and a big fat cheque will be swelling the bank account in the next year or 2.

Last edited:
‘Anderson looks like a million pound player in the making - I think he will go to a championship club in a year or two, where he will benefit from better resource and peers. From there I can see him signing for a premiership team a couple of years later. He has the speed, the build and the motivation to succeed. He just needs composure.’

That’s interesting. I don’t see that at all. For me he’s limited...great in a straight line foot race, but has no real tricks to use if he can’t just run past someone. Not consistent in his final ball and his finishing is average at best. He’s not ‘that’ young...think the composure would be showing by now. Has he really improved that much since we first had him on loan. Hope I’m wrong though and a big fat cheque will be swelling the bank account in the next year or 2.

Shackle Eardley Akinde and Anderson looked like higher league players - the rest looked league 2. O’Conner looks decent but looks like he lacks match fitness.

Just cos they're both built like brick outhouses, some people (not on here, BTW!) seem to be thinking they're the same product :blah:

I'd really like to see, as others have said, Rheady and Akinde starting as a pair up top. Either is a threat alone, they'd be a nightmare to mark and wear the defenders out early and Akinde would lap up Rheady's layoffs and flick-ons. Gives us an aerial threat again too.

Is it worth pointing out that Akinde's headed flick-on set up Andrade's cross into Akinde for his narrow miss, and that Akinde's knock down via his chest gave Mensah the chance of the game? Nah, probably not.

Dangerous and out of control worse than anything mansfield did but no doubt danny will find a way to defend tackle & performance , this was coming because altho results been great our performances have been less than that exeter apart , think andrade listened to danny post mansfield went down far too easily , could have been worse if ollie sticks sitter away & why boo him dont get it , better when down to ten men strangely enough , rheady did more than akinde in his cameo as well

Sorry but if beating Swindon 4-1 and Notts County 3-1 are not great wins with solid, strong performances then I don't think Lincoln will ever meet your expectations.

The Exeter game was an even contest until 45th minute and then we bossed the second half.

One poor performance (Crawley), two low end of average (Northampton and Grimsby), one average (Bury) and three good (Swindon, Exeter and Notts County)

Even Crawley second half we were by far the better team and the one who looked like scoring...we just didn't manage to.

Is it worth pointing out that Akinde's headed flick-on set up Andrade's cross into Akinde for his narrow miss, and that Akinde's knock down via his chest gave Mensah the chance of the game? Nah, probably not.

Thought Ankinde was a threat all game- a little off pace on occasion but constant threat.

His heading is improving and his aerial battles were won more often than lost on Saturday as well.

Onwards to Macc...

I felt sorry for Akinde on Saturday.

He was playing as a lone striker against a back 3 and a midfielder in front, so 4 on 1 at times.

Service into him was poor/non-existent and was feeding off scraps. Anything that got into him was neck/head height, which is no good for him despite his size. He needs the ball worked into him so he can pin defenders like when their CB got booked in the second half.

People were shouting for him to run the channels more in the second half but being down to 10 men, if he chased those, who did that leave in the box? And are we really going to cross it in for McCartan or Pett i.e. lack of height? No. When you're trying to be a bit more of a footballing side, you need a focal point up front who plays the width of the 18 yard box, not so much a running the channel type.

But even though his performance wasn't as as people were expecting, he still had our best chance of the game (through his good play earlier in the move) and created our other best chance in the game (Mensah).