Match Thread: Lincoln City v Carlisle United | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Carlisle United

Just done so
And seen you were compiling the full list too!
Hope my list tallies fully
It does.

What I did notice is that Rheady scored in all four games against Woking (6 in total). No wonder Garry Hill (now at Ebbsfleet) called him a dog.

Strange thing. I have n’t read any criticisms of Akinde tonight but plenty only a few days ago and yet the only difference I can see, compared to his recent performances (which I think have been good), is he stuck his leg out and touched the ball once two yards from goal.

It’s a funny old business being a striker.

Have to admit Spurs away at the new ground 4th or 5th round would be superb.I think the 3rd round might be abit to early for it opening,i did a facebook ground tour the other day it looks a fantastic new ground!
My maths is ropey but I think there is a 1 in 63 chance of getting Spurs in the 3rd round and 1 in 126 of it being at their place. The latter would almost definitely be at Wembley with a very large number of tickets available. The odds for the 4th round would be half that or a big fat zero. Current new ground progress and the need for trial/ gradually ramped-up attendances I wouldn't bet any money on your hopes and ticket availability.

Rhead's first fa cup goal since the Whitehawk game wow!
Sadly Vickers did leave the pitch in tears and straight off for an ice bath, poor guy hope he's OK, not good at all as I don't trust Slocombe at all.

also, spurs played a 'home' efl cup game [v watford] at mk dons' place ...
and the odds of getting spurs in the fourth round also depends on both teams getting through the third round.

Sadly Vickers did leave the pitch in tears and straight off for an ice bath, poor guy hope he's OK, not good at all as I don't trust Slocombe at all.
oh dear, is that official news?
+ smith is cup-tied for the fa cup

Hope Vickers injury is n’t as serious as it sounds. But in the same way Akinde ,a proven performer at this level, has started to win over some of his critics, Slocombe, a proven performer at this level ( 2 promotions from league 2 in recent seasons), may also get enough games to prove his critics wrong.

Let's hope for the best. Anyone know if we have a recall clause for Smith for the league games at least

You may be right that the assessor would be unhappy with the referee’s performance.

Unwittingly you may have put your finger on what is wrong with refereeing or more accurately the laws and how they are interpretted.

The Carlisle game for most people (judging by comments on here) was “well refereed” from a spectators point of view and I imagine this would also be the view of the participants.

In contrast the referee for Tuesday’s match (Ben Toner) for instance, would no doubt be in the assessors good books, for knowing the laws (but not the game), waving numerous yellow cards and having an undue influence on the game.
Yet certainly from a spectators point of view, he was easily the poorer referee.

Don't understand anyone saying let's get the weakest possible draw and keep the run going. Smacks of arrogance, thinking we can beat them before the draw's even made.

Yes and no.

No it's not arrogance because first of all, this is just pure speculation in the context of how we can make money. Second, let's face it the big boys don't take it seriously until the 4th or 5th round and their fans know it. So the idea of getting a share of a large attendance in the third round is fanciful these days. Also the arrogance argument is diminished by the fact we are asking for the weakest team, not a mediocre one, or even someone of a similar status to ourselves.

Yes, because you always want to take your first opportunity, others may not come, and yes it does suggest a degree of hubris to suggest we will beat another team in this competition.

All that said, I would like to beat the weakest team all the way to the final. That's not going to happen and the balance lies somewhere in between. To dream of the 4th round is not unrealistic in my opinion, especially given our exploits two years ago.

No, we made the third round in 1964-65 (beat Tranmere and Hull in replays before losing 1-5 at Rotherham), 1963-4 (beat Hartlepool and Southport before losing 0-4 at home to Sheffield United) and 1962-63 (beat Darlington and Halifax before losing 1-5 at home to Coventry in the infamous delayed tie (third round tie played on 6 March).
I cannot believe that we actually made the 3rd round three seasons running whilst a lower division team never done that since, well spotted Scotimp.

Thoroughly enjoyed today- first 25 minutes we looked extremely strong, smooth, cohesive and worked really hard, created chances.

They came back into it during last 15 of first half and first 10 mins of second half and we resorted to more aerial balls which didn't work well for us and gave them possession back.

McCarten and Akinde coming on brought the game back under our control- thought Akinde was the best I've seen him and you could see how much the goal meant to him and DC.

Atmosphere wise- was absolutely top notch. Has been mentioned on the Carlisle forum too but was one of the best this season. Cracking game, good win.

Wonder if the pressure of the league affects players? The two cup games (FA Cup), when we have a full team out, have been amongst our best this season. Players seem to play with more freedom and less constraint? The players know we are expected to be promoted and seem to play within themselves more than I have seen in the FA Cup?

David, I remember you posting you wouldn’t be at the game, how do you know he left the pitch in tears and straight off for an ice bath?

This may be a controversial statement, but I believe Akinde is more closely marked than Rhead, and that is due to their respective styles of play. Everyone in the lower divisions knows how dangerous Akinde is if he is given space to run at you. Therefore defenders stay tight on him, and they usually double up. That makes life very hard for him. Rhead is given more space because most defenders know he is never going to run at them in the same way. Further, defenders also know they can't beat him in the air so they pretty much let him win the ball and try to mark the pass instead. That is why we became ineffective last season because defenders were standing back and mopping up Rhead's flicks and passes.

That may be an over-simplification, but they are very different players and will be marked differently as a result.

It’s s fair point Scotimp, I think that’s part of the answer. We’ve said a few times Rhead plays in the hole broadly where McCartan plays. McCartan doesn’t get marked by CBs and nor does Rhead other than restarts. CBs have the advanced forward to worry about (Akinde / Green).