Match Thread: Grimsby v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Grimsby v Lincoln City

Honestly looking through the fishy forum you would think they had just reached the quarter finals of the FA cup as a non league side or something. And yet all they did manage was a draw at home to a local rival. Apparently on that one performance their fans can deduce that we and our management team have been found out and are destined for failure while their man is the footballing equivalent of Albert Einstein.

Oh and don't even get them started on the ref and how this Hull native cheated them out of the biggest upset since...well Lincoln beat Burnley at home ???

Honestly looking through the fishy forum you would think they had just reached the quarter finals of the FA cup as a non league side or something. And yet all they did manage was a draw at home to a local rival. Apparently on that one performance their fans can deduce that we and our management team have been found out and are destined for failure while their man is the footballing equivalent of Albert Einstein.

Oh and don't even get them started on the ref and how this Hull native cheated them out of the biggest upset since...well Lincoln beat Burnley at home ???
We ought to let them enjoy winning drawing their cup final

What happened to the hammering you spice loving, 6 fingered, Sloth (Goonies) looking handsome toss pots were promising us???

Thanks for clarifying the Sloth reference. I'd never have understood such high Cod culture had you not. It would have gone by me, like a Grimsby keeper dealing with a back pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought the ref handled it well the only surprise he didn’t book there guy for blocking Anderson running through which was similar to the MCartan foul 5 minutes before.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year will have no problem picking the team of the year now. This Cod team could have stormed the Winter Palace and helped change the course of history. Fought the Battle of Britain without the aid of Spitfire s & Hurriccanes. Pushed on to assist the Spams to crack the atom bomb. Brought about social change in the UK...........and still have been home for tea and crumpets
........with a slightly fishy odour!

If anyone was still wondering if we will miss Alex Woodyard, I think we got our answer today.
The way the first 45 went, Bossie should have been moved in there at ht, possibly even before that. Once he did, the tide did get halted a little. At times, we looked like we were playing with 10, such was the space they were finding.
Not sure why DC didn't use Wilson or the other lad to replace Wharton (if injured), but losing Bossie from midfield usually makes us a little less solid in there.

No one has won all three games which is a mark of what the division is like. It's a shame that the game we didn't turn up to was them lot but we're still very much going to be alright. And we didn't lose the game.

No one has won all three games which is a mark of what the division is like. It's a shame that the game we didn't turn up to was them lot but we're still very much going to be alright. And we didn't lose the game.

Spot on-this league will not have a runaway winner this season. Many clubs have some strength in depth and quality. We are in the mix to battle with the rest this season.

DC was very clear on the radio yesterday (post game) around the squad and where we are at and this league rarely has runaway winners-in some ways sounded very similar to his interview after the Crewe game, sounded quite dejected.

4 points from next two games will see us on 11 points after 5 games and I doubt many others will be any higher than that.

If you lose a player with Alexs' energy you better make sure that you up the possession stats dramatically as you cannot expect to keep winning it back.

We drew 0-0 last season and 1-1 this. Same outcome.

Alex wanted out, so there's no point in raking over old ground.

Spot on-this league will not have a runaway winner this season. Many clubs have some strength in depth and quality. We are in the mix to battle with the rest this season.

DC was very clear on the radio yesterday (post game) around the squad and where we are at and this league rarely has runaway winners-in some ways sounded very similar to his interview after the Crewe game, sounded quite dejected.

4 points from next two games will see us on 11 points after 5 games and I doubt many others will be any higher than that.

He said it before the game as well, ie, we're in transition, the same as Grimsby.

The way the first 45 went, Bossie should have been moved in there at ht, possibly even before that. Once he did, the tide did get halted a little. At times, we looked like we were playing with 10, such was the space they were finding.
Not sure why DC didn't use Wilson or the other lad to replace Wharton (if injured), but losing Bossie from midfield usually makes us a little less solid in there.

Yep I agree about Bostwick, he shoukd have ben moved to CM at half time. We were overrun in midfield and that allowed them to really take the game to us, and i too said during the game it seemed like they had an extra player. I thought we overplayed it far too much when a hoof up for the wingers to run on to is much higher % way of starting an attack.

Did not go to game today, but listened keenly on radio. Been
supporting the imps since 1974, through good and lots of bad. The start to this season has been exceptional, but PLEASE lets not get carried away! Any point at Grimsby is a good point, and for anybody that thinks we deserve to walk this league are in for a disappointment. It's a long, long season, with joy & disappointment to follow. But today's point will be vital come the end of the season. We have the " Minerals" to succeed, but will never be perfect. Come on guys glass half full than empty.

Thanks for the advice, but I reserve the right to be optimistic ??

Really don't like how Akinde takes penalties.
Whilst they HAVE gone in, they are eminently saveable if the keeper gets it right (and both should have been saved)
Thats what he does and how he takes them and is successful.Anyone got any stats on his penalty taking record?

I must admit they don't fill me with confidence either, but as long as they go in I can live with it

I tend to agree, if the keeper goes the right way they look like terrible penalties. That said, if he's able to read the keepers movement before he kicks it, all he needs to do is roll it the other side.

Last edited:
How did Freck perform yesterday?

It's difficult to tell from behind the goal, but our 2 in midfield seemed so overran. Whenever we got the ball there was no space to do anything. Without the ball, the amount of attacks they had, and the space they had, was a concern for me. I don't think the formation helped, if you play with 2 wingers they really have to perform well to outweigh the bodies you sacrifice in spinal areas, and ours didn't yesterday.

Thats what he does and how he takes them and is successful.Anyone got any stats on his penalty taking record?

Well after posting my comment, i did try to look up his penalty stats.
I found something that said he had scored 31 pens and seemed to list 37 pens taken.
It wasnt clear which pens were successful or not, but possibly he has scored 31/37.
Yesterday not included so that would now be 32/38, 84%.
Someone might be able to find definitive stats but that's what i came up with anyway.

Also having now seen pen on tv, Grimsby keeper was very close to saving yesterday's pen.