Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City

Ma has come in steadied the ship without getting the results. I like the guy comes across honest and knowledgeable he has taken over somebody elses team so will have to get them to change to his way of playing . I think long term he will be a success .

Last edited:
Can’t believe that MA is being judged harshly on his record here thus far. In my eyes, given the condition of the squad he has inherited, he has a free hit through to early next season. Let him steady the ship, tweak as necessary over January, rebuild over the Summer, and we’ll see where we are in 11-12 months. His hands are tied at the moment.

I'm amazed to read that some are calling for the managers head.
Really?

Here's some facts: under Michael Appleton, despite the lack of wins, we have conceded only 9 goals in 10 games. We conceded 8 in the previous 3 games under Jamie McCombe. That run includes SIX away games including Blackpool, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Peterborough; we have also played Sunderland at home in that time. We have also conceded just 4 in our last 6 games, which is far from catastrophic. In fact, that is promotion standard. Following major upheaval, that is genuinely impressive.

We have been missing some key players: Bostwick (our Player of the Season) hasn't kicked a ball since 14 September; Frecklington (our captain) has played 60 minutes; Pett (finished third in Player of the Season) has appeared in three games and is not fit; influential O'Connor is now injured; we keep losing Morrell and Lewis to international duty without being permitted to postpone a game. If those players had been available, Ellis Chapman would not be anywhere near the first team. He isn't good enough to play regularly in League One, not by a long way; that is not his fault - he is only 18.

Never underestimate how much Cowley's departure knocked us sideways. Personally, I think Appleton is doing a great job under the circumstances he has been handed: he said he would make us hard to beat in the first instance, and he has done that despite the lack of wins. We are not a bad team, the problem lies in the loss of key players and the (partly related) inability to score. Appleton has not said he can do anything about that at the moment, but I suspect we will score more goals - and possibly concede even fewer - once those key players return. We also have the January transfer window imminent, whatever that may offer, and we have money available for the right player(s). Appleton has already stated that he is 'crystal clear' about what is required in January, so give the poor guy a chance.

Really?

Here's some facts: under Michael Appleton, despite the lack of wins, we have conceded only 9 goals in 10 games. We conceded 8 in the previous 3 games under Jamie McCombe. That run includes SIX away games including Blackpool, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Peterborough; we have also played Sunderland at home in that time. We have also conceded just 4 in our last 6 games, which is far from catastrophic. In fact, that is promotion standard. Following major upheaval, that is genuinely impressive.

We have been missing some key players: Bostwick (our Player of the Season) hasn't kicked a ball since 14 September; Frecklington (our captain) has played 60 minutes; Pett (finished third in Player of the Season) has appeared in three games and is not fit; influential O'Connor is now injured; we keep losing Morrell and Lewis to international duty without being permitted to postpone a game. If those players had been available, Ellis Chapman would not be anywhere near the first team. He isn't good enough to play regularly in League One, not by a long way; that is not his fault - he is only 18.

Never underestimate how much Cowley's departure knocked us sideways. Personally, I think Appleton is doing a great job under the circumstances he has been handed: he said he would make us hard to beat in the first instance, and he has done that despite the lack of wins. We are not a bad team, the problem lies in the loss of key players and the (partly related) inability to score. Appleton has not said he can do anything about that at the moment, but I suspect we will score more goals - and possibly concede even fewer - once those key players return. We also have the January transfer window imminent, whatever that may offer, and we have money available for the right player(s). Appleton has already stated that he is 'crystal clear' about what is required in January, so give the poor guy a chance.
Someone mentioned it in an earlier post. Brendan Bradley also mentioned "fickle". I guess point 2 proves point 1.
The guy can't make any signings and has the majority of his senior players injured.
It's like asking for a divorce because your mates wife if shit in the sack.

Spot on Scotimp - he has inherited an unbalance squad and that added to injuries and International call ups has left us very vulnerable - judge him after the January window when he will have some chance to adjust the squad. Also worth mentioning that we have played far more away games than home games from my calculation we have played 11 of the 17 games away from home.

To add some historical perspective: the last time City played at this level and avoided relegation was 1984-85, which is 35 years ago. The last two seasons at this level (1985-86 and 1998-99) we were relegated, so survival this season would represent a significant achievement. The current position is considerably better than 1998-99 after 17 matches:

1998-99
P17 W3 D2 L12 F16 A32 Pts 11 Pos 24/24

2019-20
P17 W5 D3 L9 F18 A22 Pts 18 Pos 17/23

Reading some FB posts is very depressing. Im also completely satisfied with MA and have no concern about relegation.. fixtures have been a bit unkind and losing Morrell 3 times in 3 tough away games really hasnt helped at all. I guess supporting a team with constant success for 3 years has affected peoples reality.

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here, but Appleton told the waiting press that it was ‘the worst performance of any team he has ever been in charge of”, he also mentioned the word ‘rubbish’ a few times and apologised to fans who had to witness a display like that. Strong words indeed.

Obviously speaking as a very frustrated manager. He, along with the rest of us would be totally perplexed as to why we can turn in a performance like we did on Tuesday night then basically just dont show up on the following Saturday. Granted it was virtually two different teams in different competitions but you can only beat what's in front of you coupled with the fact all the players will be drilled on how the team should play no matter who the starting eleven are.
What a club needs from whatever level you play at is a good squad with consistency on selection and consistancy of performance. All the teams at the top of any league have this as we have just experienced for the last 3 years. It's easier said than done though as we all know and as MApp has clearly stated in our case it will probably get a little worse before it gets better.

Really?

Spot on with this.
To be fair I've not seen such comments on this forum where I suspect most of us live in a land of reality based around in my case nearly half a century of being an Imp and others who can boast longer than that. Such comments are likely from those who have jumped on the train in 2016 and have known nothing other than good times.

Absolutely 100% spot on Scotimp. We just need to get behind him on Wed and future games to do what we can to help.

And to be fair, I've not read a single comment criticising Appleton, let alone calling for him to go.
We all know we are currently weaker as well as missing some key players as well as not having other key players anywhere near their best.
At least Appleton is seeing where our strengths and weaknesses are. The more he learns from the matches up to January, the better he'll be able to judge who should stay and who should go and what he needs to bring in.
It may well take him 2 or 3 transfer windows to really change the squad to what he would like. We all know that and we'll be patient.
Doesn't stop moaning on any given match day of course, but moaning is all part of being an Imp !

I disagree that MA has inherited an unbalanced squad. We have really good alatetrnatives in every position bar striker.

GK - Vickers, Smith
RB Eardley, Lewis
LB - Toffolo, Coker
CB - Shackell, Bolger, Connolly, Bostwick, Melbourne
Midfield - Morrell, O'Connor, Chapman, Pett, Frecklington
Wingers - Andrade, Anderson, Grant
2nd Striker - Payne, Hesketh
Striker - Walker, Akinde

Unlike past seasons, when the squad was filled out with loanees that were not up to scratch, every one of the above is a genuine first teamer. 23 players!

Yes, we need a goalscorer, but if we are to make several signings in January as many people are asking for - who of the above would you release and be confident new additions would be better?

I firmly believe there is a decent team amongst those 23, maybe with the addition of a goalscorer. If I'm right, I would have the same opinion of MA as I would if DC was still here - that is, the directors have given you a decent squad - the rest is down to your coaching ability.

Saturday worries me. I hope it was a one off, but it had signs of the players not wanting to play for the manager. I truly hope I am wrong.

I disagree that MA has inherited an unbalanced squad. We have really good alatetrnatives in every position bar striker.

GK - Vickers, Smith
RB Eardley, Lewis
LB - Toffolo, Coker
CB - Shackell, Bolger, Connolly, Bostwick, Melbourne
Midfield - Morrell, O'Connor, Chapman, Pett, Frecklington
Wingers - Andrade, Anderson, Grant
2nd Striker - Payne, Hesketh
Striker - Walker, Akinde

Unlike past seasons, when the squad was filled out with loanees that were not up to scratch, every one of the above is a genuine first teamer. 23 players!

Yes, we need a goalscorer, but if we are to make several signings in January as many people are asking for - who of the above would you release and be confident new additions would be better?

I firmly believe there is a decent team amongst those 23, maybe with the addition of a goalscorer. If I'm right, I would have the same opinion of MA as I would if DC was still here - that is, the directors have given you a decent squad - the rest is down to your coaching ability.

Saturday worries me. I hope it was a one off, but it had signs of the players not wanting to play for the manager. I truly hope I am wrong.

The directors give you the finance but the manager recruits the squad.
DC recruited the squad. It has good players but not many big powerful athletes.
I think out of the whole squad only Harry Anderson and Bolger are both under thirty and a reasonably big powerful athlete. It does not mean we have not got some good players but we don’t get many points without playing pretty well.

If DC were still here you could question his recruitment but not sure you can blame MA for selecting the best available and reasonably fit midfield. Pett and Chapman
are fair players but in tandem are not exactly enforcers.

Spot on Scotimp - he has inherited an unbalance squad and that added to injuries and International call ups has left us very vulnerable - judge him after the January window when he will have some chance to adjust the squad. Also worth mentioning that we have played far more away games than home games from my calculation we have played 11 of the 17 games away from home.
Here he goes again. Unbalanced, blah blah blah. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

And the squad is unbalanced. We all know there is a lack of forward options. But the midfield is overloaded with similar players. We are missing powerful athletes, strong in the tackle and good headers of the ball, box to box type players. We needed a grafter or two like this, such as O'Hara.