Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City

I don’t think it’s nowhere near as desperate as some comments I have seen.
However, a midfield two of Pett and Chapman is diabolically weak for this standard.

Despite the half time changes that was my thought too, at least today. Chapman improved during the game but neither of those two are close to match-fit. The midfield needed some oomph which was simply not there.

As that's the most important area of the pitch it's no wonder nothing ever got going,

Pretty rotten stuff. At least the game I went to after this one gave me something decent to watch after all the misplaced passes and failed attempts to control the ball.

Like you say, JT, I don't see much to be overly concerned about despite that non-performance.

Can we just take time out to congratulate Bolton in getting into positive points on the League Table.
Now can the spineless EFL please deduct them at least another 14 points that they are still due to put them back into negativity so the overspending cheating twa@ts can wallow where they belong......

Can we just take time out to congratulate Bolton in getting into positive points on the League Table.
Now can the spineless EFL please deduct them at least another 14 points that they are still due to put them back into negativity so the overspending cheating twa@ts can wallow where they belong......

I'm getting the feeling that the EFL want a feelgood story out Bolton and will conveniently forget about the two games they refused to play after they have managed to finish the season in 20th place by goal difference.

I'm getting the feeling that the EFL want a feelgood story out Bolton and will conveniently forget about the two games they refused to play after they have managed to finish the season in 20th place by goal difference.

Only 4 points behind Southend and 12 behind Wimbledon and MK now with 4 games in hand (mainly because their little darlings were to tired to play midweek games after they've played on Saturdays!!!!)
They need slapping back down to earth with another large points deduction before their confidence and momentum gets to high and they avoid relegation to league 2.

Now that so much time has passed I don’t think the EFL intend to apply any further points reductions to Bolton. I think unpunished misdemeanours will be swept under the carpet in the hope the rest of us have forgotten. If the matter is raised then I think they’ll quote a compassionate supportive approach.

Completely wrong if they do, but that’s the way I see it going. All the time Bolton occupy a relegation spot they’ll get away with it. Shit will hit the fan if they climb out of the bottom three

Now that so much time has passed I don’t think the EFL intend to apply any further points reductions to Bolton. I think unpunished misdemeanours will be swept under the carpet in the hope the rest of us have forgotten. If the matter is raised then I think they’ll quote a compassionate supportive approach.

Completely wrong if they do, but that’s the way I see it going. All the time Bolton occupy a relegation spot they’ll get away with it. Shit will hit the fan if they climb out of the bottom three

Its actually totally outrageous that the League have so far failed to punish Bolton.
Every other league, whether in football or in any sport, would have automatically been deducting points off any team who intentionally missed fixtures.
Can Clive get onto the League about this with some urgency?
Utterly ludicrous and disgraceful that nothing has yet happened.

We need to stop looking over our shoulder at the strugglers and focus on picking up points ourselves as we did at the start of the season.

Completely agree. Our destiny is in our own hands and we shouldn’t be relying on those below us to fare worse.

But in the interest of fair play the Bolton fiasco needs addressing and putting to bed ASAP. Trouble is I don’t think the EFL have got the balls!

Just home after a 6:30 departure this morning. As has been said I was very worried about our team selection today. If you take O’Connor, Morrell, Bossie and even Freck out of the team we really are light weight with a half fit Pett and an 18 year old finding his way. Added to the fact that I don’t think Shackell or Eardley have reached the heights of last season I predicted a struggle today. As much as I loath Evans he knew how to set his team up and we were pressed and bullied out of the game.

It made me smile listening to the Wales game on the way back hearing that Morrell was up there for MOTM it’s not surprising that we missed him and the experience of O’Connor.

Again as usual lots of social media comments asking for Appleton’s head already.....(not so much on hear tonight thankfully) people forget that DC lost plenty of games prior to his departure.

The other thing that occurred to me looking at the table, we have only played 7 games at home and 10 away. Hopefully as this evens up we will benefit from this.

UTI

Last edited:
Just home after a 6:30 departure this morning. As has been said I was very worried about our team selection today. If you take O’Connor, Morrell, Bossie and even Freck out of the team we really are light weight. Added to the fact that I don’t think Shackell or Eadrley have reached the heights of last season I predicted a struggle today. As much as I loath Evans he knew how to set his team up and we were pressed and bullied out of the game. It made me smile listening to the Wales game in the way back hearing that Morrell was up there for MOTM it’s not surprising that we missed him and the experience of O’Connor.

Again as usual lots of social media comments asking for Appleton’s head already.....(not so much on hear tonight thankfully) people forget that DC lost plenty of games prior to his departure.

The other thing that occurred to me looking at the table, we have only played 7 games at home and 10 away. Hopefully as this evens up we will benefit from this.

UTI

For me although MA hasn’t produced miracles, he has certainly reduced the amount of goals we concede , which if we ever get to play a home league game might give us a chance of three points.

We need to stop looking over our shoulder at the strugglers and focus on picking up points ourselves as we did at the start of the season.

I agree with you but I wasn't saying for the reason that I am scared Bolton may catch us. I want justice served on them and it wants to be as soon as possible. I dont want them to believe one little bit that they could even contemplate surviving in League 1 this season. Can you imagine if we hadn't turned up at Gillingham today and said it was because it was a bit to far and we had already had a game in midweek and we have got another next Wednesday and the welfare of our players should be taken into account and it was a bit to much for them.
We as fans would of been outraged ourselves that our team hadn't turned up to play and you can bet anything that a nice big fine and points deduction would of followed pretty swiftly from the EFL. No, the only justice is to give them the points deduction as a nice little Christmas present knocking them and their fans back off their perch and hopefully ensuring they get totally what they deserve.

It’s not often after watching a game that there’s not something good to look back on or think that someone in the team performed well but today was the day. We were weak, lifeless, gutless, clueless and bloody useless. Dependable performers Eardley and Shackell were bullied, Midfield engine room of Pett and Chapman were like toddlers against men, weak and timid and together possibly the worst central midfield pair performance since the days of Josh O’Keefe and A N Other. Andrade, Payne, Hesketh and Walker offered nothing at all and should be ashamed to draw a wage this week.
How Gillingham only scored once and didn’t force Vickers into a decent save all game shows how crap they were attacking wise too.
May seem harsh but it’s a true reflection of a bloody long awful day out.

It’s not often after watching a game that there’s not something good to look back on or think that someone in the team performed well but today was the day. We were weak, lifeless, gutless, clueless and bloody useless. Dependable performers Eardley and Shackell were bullied, Midfield engine room of Pett and Chapman were like toddlers against men, weak and timid and together possibly the worst central midfield pair performance since the days of Josh O’Keefe and A N Other. Andrade, Payne, Hesketh and Walker offered nothing at all and should be ashamed to draw a wage this week.
How Gillingham only scored once and didn’t force Vickers into a decent save all game shows how crap they were attacking wise too.
May seem harsh but it’s a true reflection of a bloody long awful day out.

Sad that the words Josh o’keefe Have to be mentioned on this forum again , I hoped they were long gone as his footballing career for me deserves to be.

Not sure how many international call up weekends are still to come but good player as he is no good if he misses so many games.

Is there a case that even if you have just one player called up for International duty you are allowed to postpone your league game.
We had 2 huge players for us missing in our engine room through call ups and injury today. The rules do not take into consideration that you can have 2 of your best players taken out for International call ups, another 2 injured and maybe another suspended, that's half your team missing.
Is that fair? Yeah the injuries and suspensions are your own problem but then taking 2 other of your best players out on top of that is going to cause major issues in terms of the quality and depth of your squad.

OK, got home just over an hour ago and not looked at any highlights or what anyone else has written yet.

In recent weeks we've been playing well and not getting better results due to not taking our chances. Today we weren't creating any chances - at least not until added time when if we'd salvaged a draw it would have flattered us. It's easy to say we lost because we'd got nobody doing anything in midfield, but the fact is we just weren't on our game today for whatever reason and were just poor in all areas of the pitch.

I can hardly remember the Gillingham keeper touching the ball in the first half and apart from getting the goal they looked very limited. But after the break they were the only side going to score and it was only thanks to what from the other end of the pitch looked like some desperate defending they didn't. Then the Gillingham keeper finally had to make a save in the last minute

I can't see Gillingham doing anything else but struggle, and it was noticeable how they weren't averse to committing fouls in order to stop the few occasions when we did look like putting a good move together - but those tactics won't always work against the better sides.

Last edited:
Not sure if it has been mentioned on here, but Appleton told the waiting press that it was ‘the worst performance of any team he has ever been in charge of”, he also mentioned the word ‘rubbish’ a few times and apologised to fans who had to witness a display like that. Strong words indeed.

Sad that the words Josh o’keefe Have to be mentioned on this forum again , I hoped they were long gone as his footballing career for me deserves to be.
Indeed, I remember seeing him climbing out of a shiny new BMW or Merc on high street. Not that material things are everything, but as a young man that thought he was pretty good at his job, it made me wonder about my life choices!

I'm amazed to read that some are calling for the managers head. That really is ridiculous.