Match Thread: Blackpool v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Blackpool v Lincoln City

No miracle and happy end then unfortunately.

I thought we started positive but it counts for nothing.

We managed again only one shot on target which is hardly any front foot football. On top of that we can't defend for shit under Skubala neither so writing was on the wall.

At the moment it looks like we got rid of manager who was on the boring side but knew how to grind results. Instead we appointed one that is even more boring and can't get results. Brilliant decision ....

Relegation is very much an option with this man in charge I'm afraid.
A little harsh Jay imo, I'm not bored with Skoobs at the wheel and feel for the predicament he finds himself. Many people on this site bang on about the budgets of other clubs, so yes we are a smallish club trying to aspire to better things with investors who have an affinity with the club. I'd far rather be where we are now as opposed to 13th in the Conference and looking where the next Chairman will come from.

Seeds of change will be forthcoming but patience and realism is required.

Fine words from Liam butter no parsnips - we need at least half a dozen players in with at least 3 or 4 going in the opposite direction - and of those that come they need some experience - today we just needed to get the game played without any notable injuries so ẁe have time to sign some new players and bring some of those on the injured list back so the Manager has time to work with them!!

We lost a game I expected us to lose. To be frank, out of the last 4 games, I expected us to lose 3 of them.

Defeatist? Pessimistic? Nope, realistic.

The one that’s a shame is Northampton, obviously. But they weren’t just going to come and roll over either.

I don’t think much vitriol, frustration and/or abuse can truly be aimed at Skubala. I mean, just look at the players we have available.. and look at the players we have unavailable!

The only thing I think he got wrong today was when Sorensen went off. Perfect time to go to 4 at the back. You might be slightly more open, but you’re already 1-0 down. Should’ve just taken the game to them.

As has been said already, this period from now until the Wycombe is going to be an indicator of how the rest of our season will shape up.

We should have 3 players back from injury (Burroughs, Roughan and Hackett), we should be absolutely smashing the training sessions with Skubala’s tactical input, and we should be seeing a handful of ins and outs.

Sit tight.

A season is a very long time.

Beating Blackpool 3-0 was this season. Honest.
(f&a) = fit and available that day and now

Jensen (f & a)
Sorensen
O'Connor
Jackson(f &a)
Roughan
Burroughs
Hamilton (f&a)
Erhahon
Hackett
Mandroiu
House

Bench
Wright (f&a)
Brown (f&a)
Mitchell (f&a)
Smith (f&a)
Bishop (f&a)
Duffy (f&a)
Walker

Long way to go.

Something might start going our way eventually.

Last edited:
Can I just offer my opinion that we were not totally decimated by injuries today. Quite badly affected I agree, but this is the team that started

Jensen
Mitchell Jackson Eyoma
Soresen Bishop Smith Duffy
Hamilton
Makama Adulakun

Of course, Erhahon, House and Reeco would have been definite starters for Smith, Makama and Adulakun. But the other 8 players have all had their supporters on this forum the past five months that they should be playing regularly.

Would O'Connor and Roughan have improved the back three? Would Mandroiu have made any difference in an away game? Would Burroughs have been better than Duffy?

Yes, we were again short up front, although I thought Makama had a much improved game, and Haks did some good things (along with the usual bad). And we were unlucky to lose Sorensen, although he wasn't having one of his better games when he went off.

But to me it wasn't a much weaker line-up than in any of Skoobs' games so far, apart from the absence of Erhahon. So I'm not sure why today's average performance can be totally excused by absent players. A contributory cause yes. But not the entire cause.

And when you've nothing sensible to say, resort to sarcasm......
Thanks very much.

I was not being sarcastic. Skubala has demonstrated a 'safety first' ethic since he arrived, preferring more defensive-minded players to attacking. Possibly due to the mounting injuries, but we look constipated and lacking ideas around the box. Hence 5 goals from open play in 10 games.

We lost a game I expected us to lose. To be frank, out of the last 4 games, I expected us to lose 3 of them.

Defeatist? Pessimistic? Nope, realistic.

The one that’s a shame is Northampton, obviously. But they weren’t just going to come and roll over either.

I don’t think much vitriol, frustration and/or abuse can truly be aimed at Skubala. I mean, just look at the players we have available.. and look at the players we have unavailable!

The only thing I think he got wrong today was when Sorensen went off. Perfect time to go to 4 at the back. You might be slightly more open, but you’re already 1-0 down. Should’ve just taken the game to them.

As has been said already, this period from now until the Wycombe is going to be an indicator of how the rest of our season will shape up.

We should have 3 players back from injury (Burroughs, Roughan and Hackett), we should be absolutely smashing the training sessions with Skubala’s tactical input, and we should be seeing a handful of ins and outs.

Sit tight.
I came on here to say pretty much what you have said.
When Jayden Brown came on, instead of putting a square peg in a round hole, we should have made him LB, put Eyoma RB, left Jackson and Mitchell in the middle.
Push Duffy higher up on the left, playing to his obvious strengths. Play Shodipo on the right. Hamilton and Smith in the middle with Makama and Vale up front.
No square pegs in round holes. A solid foundation. Two up front to at least give us a fighting chance of grabbing something!

A little harsh Jay imo, I'm not bored with Skoobs at the wheel and feel for the predicament he finds himself. Many people on this site bang on about the budgets of other clubs, so yes we are a smallish club trying to aspire to better things with investors who have an affinity with the club. I'd far rather be where we are now as opposed to 13th in the Conference and looking where the next Chairman will come from.

Seeds of change will be forthcoming but patience and realism is required.
I understand your point but I think I'm talking only about facts here. And these are : Bloke is losing fourth in the row, can't defend, can't attack, can't improve set pieces WTF ? I mean is he actually good at anything football wise or just at talking about it ??

If one weak shot on target is entertaining enough then we should have kept Kennedy. At least we would have few more points

Finally because of him I need another drink which isn't very good 😉

Happy New Year by the way. Hopefully we won't go down. This is the only thing that we can hope for with Skubala...

Possibly up there with one of the worst Xmas periods in a long time.
January does not look too cheery either. We just need some good experienced loans, no choice now, and get a few of the crocks back. When MS was asked when House was back, he said the end of February ! Seems a long way off in the current circumstances. The two daft beeps who got banned for 3/4 games is really hurting.

January does not look too cheery either. We just need some good experienced loans, no choice now, and get a few of the crocks back. When MS was asked when House was back, he said the end of February ! Seems a long way off in the current circumstances. The two daft beeps who got banned for 3/4 games is really hurting.
Well at least we now have a manager that knows what the injury situation is.

A season is a very long time.

Beating Blackpool 3-0 was this season. Honest.
(f&a) = fit and available that day and now

Jensen (f & a)
Sorensen
O'Connor
Jackson(f &a)
Roughan
Burroughs
Hamilton (f&a)
Erhahon
Hackett
Mandroiu
House

Bench
Wright (f&a)
Brown (f&a)
Mitchell (f&a)
Smith (f&a)
Bishop (f&a)
Duffy (f&a)
Walker

Long way to go.

Something might start going our way eventually.

Now without the rose tinted glasses for some parity.

We’ve been able to play 9 of that 11 (minus Hackett & House) most of the time in the last few weeks.

Hackett & House are big losses but I would expect enough of the remaining 9 plus the 2 replacements to show more.

Started well, levelled out and dropped off later on. To be honest, that sounds like my Xmas day this year rather than a football game.

So we've lost away to the team with the best home record in the league- bar none.

Team of Jensen, Sorensen, Duffy (WBs) with Mitchell, Eyoma and Jackson has a solid right and centre but a poor left side.

Smith, Hamilton and Bishop looked like they played as a 3 with Adelakun and Makama up front.

First 25 mins we looked like we had some positive intent, some desire and some decent link up play. Poor free kick to give away on 29 mins, ball floated in and Mitchell lost his player- simple header. 1-0 Blackpool.

Game tapered off for next 15 mins and to be honest , apart from a spell around 70-80 mins, second half followed the last 15 of first half.

TJ losing the ball in midfield on 90+ mins allowed their player to take a late second goal.

We had 51% possession, less clearances to make than Blackpool, almost as many passes. We weren't bad, we weren't good. Blackpool could have been beaten on a different day.

14 days off after a poor December/Xmas period. Does that mean we come back to Wycombe with a back 4 not a back 5? Time to train players to play a different formation?

We will see- today was a game we were very very unlikely to win on the form guide alone. Next 2 weeks will be interesting but then again so will 2 weeks today at Wycombe.

After 4 months sans-house/Walker I would have expected the head coach (Kennedy, shaw, now skubala) to realise adelakun, vale, shodipo and makama are not forwards that will get on the end of fizzed high crosses. I don’t see them winning headers anywhere on the pitch, it is not their game. It would need to be a prem level delivery to pick one of them out near a goal filled with league 1 brute defenders.
wondering why we haven’t worked alternative ways (for instance, a few of the midfielders Duffy, Hamilton, bishop, smith even sørensen have a decent shot from the edge of the box) to work the keeper.

Second half was really really bad. First half we played a bit but forgot to defend a set piece, second half other than Shodipo going past someone once was absolutely abysmal.

I felt pretty irked by it to be honest... just never looked like scoring again and incredibly predictable. And if it's like, well we've had to spend 95 per cent of the time doing match prep rather than anything interesting tactically then why are we letting them queue up for a free header from a set piece, why when we get two set pieces in more dangerous areas than theirs are our two attempts Duffy sending one towards Preston and then Ted Bishop hitting one into the wall that would have hit a wall of three year olds in the chest.

The second goal summed it up really. I don't really mind us going away to a side with a good home record and getting beat but at least make them play some decent stuff to win the game. I think with every mitigation included and the massive caveat that he needs time, I'm still disappointed with the impact Skubala has had. I don't really buy the 'we could have won on another day' idea I'm sure we will see - we wouldn't have scored if we were playing until next new years day. Sometimes you have to call a turd a turd and that's where our last few performances have been imo.

I also think the Sorensen injury was a time to shuffle the pack and just find it weird that we'd rather play Brown (who can't even get in the squad on some days) as a right wing back than shift the pieces around at all. The idea that this team can't do anything other than Kennedy ball in any circumstance is going to wear pretty thin soon...

Said a lot that the song book today was pretty early into a "shot on target and we're on the pitch" and then for the second half included odes to Harry Toffolo, John Akinde, Luke Waterfall, Bruno Andrade and the Cowleys.

Edit: realise this is miserable, just don't think there was much to cheer about at all or a performance to get behind. Beaten by a team who didn't get out of first gear.

Last edited:
Thanks very much.

I was not being sarcastic. Skubala has demonstrated a 'safety first' ethic since he arrived, preferring more defensive-minded players to attacking. Possibly due to the mounting injuries, but we look constipated and lacking ideas around the box. Hence 5 goals from open play in 10 games.
Wouldn't mind him packing the team with defensive minded players if we were grinding out results and a point here and there. Trouble is even with all these defensive minded players the opposition seem to be able to score at will, and as we know one goal down and we're finished.

Haven't seen the match or any highlights been busy with family today.
Looking at the available players due to injuries and suspensions didn't expect a lot and feel that Skubala and the team would struggle to get a result today.
A lot of people being slated on here for negative comments and yes with a decent break and the January window now here perhaps we can try and be more positive. Let's face it Skoobs isn't going anywhere soon so we need to get behind him and the team.
However we cannot also be complacent we are mid table but showing bottom table form that's 4 losses on the trot and Skoobs has to do something to address this and soon. 4 losses can soon become 7 or 8 losses then players and fan morale hits rock bottom.
This window is now crucial. Looks like one of our options has been severely put in doubt by Drapers injury. It is currently obvious that even if we had the best defence and midfield in the League we would still struggle as we have nothing up front. I hope we do not restrict our recruitment purely on age looking for youngsters re the model. I personally think we need some players with more experience and who will be more savvy playing against some of these experienced defenders we come up against.
But I suppose it all comes down to money in the end and that may be the stumbling block. A pretty big dilemma at the moment Hope we have the people to solve it.