Match Thread: Blackpool v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Blackpool v Lincoln City

Good God, I actually think I need to log out for the night. The state of some of the usual suspects being negative is frankly embarrassing. I genuinely think some people can't wait to post their crap after matches.
I can't wait to be happy and enjoy my evening after the game but certain person in charge of the first team can't deliver 😉

Started well, levelled out and dropped off later on. To be honest, that sounds like my Xmas day this year rather than a football game.

So we've lost away to the team with the best home record in the league- bar none.

Team of Jensen, Sorensen, Duffy (WBs) with Mitchell, Eyoma and Jackson has a solid right and centre but a poor left side.

Smith, Hamilton and Bishop looked like they played as a 3 with Adelakun and Makama up front.

First 25 mins we looked like we had some positive intent, some desire and some decent link up play. Poor free kick to give away on 29 mins, ball floated in and Mitchell lost his player- simple header. 1-0 Blackpool.

Game tapered off for next 15 mins and to be honest , apart from a spell around 70-80 mins, second half followed the last 15 of first half.

TJ losing the ball in midfield on 90+ mins allowed their player to take a late second goal.

We had 51% possession, less clearances to make than Blackpool, almost as many passes. We weren't bad, we weren't good. Blackpool could have been beaten on a different day.

14 days off after a poor December/Xmas period. Does that mean we come back to Wycombe with a back 4 not a back 5? Time to train players to play a different formation?

We will see- today was a game we were very very unlikely to win on the form guide alone. Next 2 weeks will be interesting but then again so will 2 weeks today at Wycombe.
Agree first 25 we looked strong until stupid free kick and the Sorrenson (not mitchell) losing his man for the goal. But looked to me that Jenson could have helped sorrenson and come off his line, but tbh like everyone he probably expected sorrenson to get there

Agree first 25 we looked strong until stupid free kick and the Sorrenson (not mitchell) losing his man for the goal. But looked to me that Jenson could have helped sorrenson and come off his line, but tbh like everyone he probably expected sorrenson to get there
Maybe, like Hortinballs, they couldn't remember which one of them was the keeper?

Age and infirmity are my only excuse although they hardly have the same hair colour!

I feel a liitle less concerned about are position this evening now. I have just watched the highlights program and it has cheered me up.
OK it only shows the goals and a bit of build up. And sadly confirmed both goals against were poorly defended without those gifts we might have got something today.
But what really cheered me up was the rest of our division highlights about 20% of the goals if that even came from good play. The rest were terrible defensive play and very poor goalkeeping. The really are some poor teams in our division if we can sort out our attacking play there are many teams there to be beaten.

I feel a liitle less concerned about are position this evening now. I have just watched the highlights program and it has cheered me up.
OK it only shows the goals and a bit of build up. And sadly confirmed both goals against were poorly defended without those gifts we might have got something today.
But what really cheered me up was the rest of our division highlights about 20% of the goals if that even came from good play. The rest were terrible defensive play and very poor goalkeeping. The really are some poor teams in our division if we can sort out our attacking play there are many teams there to be beaten.
There are some really poor teams in our division I agree but it will be very difficult for us to beat anyone with Mr. One shot on target in charge.
With him we are one of those poor teams too. Looking at our current form maybe even the poorest.

I think I got exactly what I expected yesterday. Against the team with the best home record in the league we were never likely to go there and get anything. What I didn't expect was not being able to fill the bench. 9 out and relying on the youth team. Not anybody's fault it is just the way it is at the moment. Watched it all unfold on IPlayer. Not happy with what I saw but not surprised either. Skubala is on a hiding to nothing at the moment and that will remain the case until we get more player availability. Tough times but we have had tough times before and come out of them although I expect the next 6 weeks or so to be a huge challenge. Just got to stick with it.

There are some really poor teams in our division I agree but it will be very difficult for us to beat anyone with Mr. One shot on target in charge.
With him we are one of those poor teams too. Looking at our current form maybe even the poorest.
Maybe you should take a ride up the A46 and support a really good team with a proven, experienced manager? You would enjoy that much more, as you obviously deserve better and I'm sure they would appreciate the type of support that you give to a team

With all due respect John, I know Scot was being a bit sarcastic but it is a puzzle why Duffy has not been starting.
Mike, in honesty I agree, when he had a 'run' he did quite well. I just am absolutely fed up with people having a go at Michael Skubala. He inherited every one of these players, the injury list is absolutely horrific, we've come up against some decent sides over the past two months, and I'm really disappointed with some of our fans' expectations. We are where we are due to an injury crisis, not because we've hired an incompetent coach. And before anyone else says it,......yes, even the brothers wouldn't get a decent result out of what we have to pick from, they'd be knocking on the Chairman's door asking for more money! Rant over Mike, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Hopefully if we persist with 5 at the back then Duffy has done enough to be first choice on the left. He did OK defensively bearing in mind he was up against CJ Hamilton and gives much more going forwards.
If Sorensen's injury puts him out then Burroughs could move to the right...unless his injury puts him out as well of course. Benn has the ability to play in a 4 or a 5 but his development must have been really affected by injuries.

Thanks very much.

I was not being sarcastic. Skubala has demonstrated a 'safety first' ethic since he arrived, preferring more defensive-minded players to attacking. Possibly due to the mounting injuries, but we look constipated and lacking ideas around the box. Hence 5 goals from open play in 10 games.
Scot, it was a throw away comment in the midst of all the doom and gloom on here at the moment, but my question to you is, who are the attacking-minded players he should prefer? Adelukan and Shodipo shouldn't be here, Makama should be at Peterborough Sports on loan to properly further his development rather than destroy him. Skubala's options are extremely limited. As I put in another post, I now go to games hoping for a draw because I don't know where a goal is coming from, but that's not a selection problem, that's an availability problem.

Why do we bring players to this club on loan and not use them, total waste of time, who the hell is responsible.??

Why do we bring players to this club on loan and not use them, total waste of time, who the hell is responsible.??

It's player (Vale) rather than players.

Why? Lots of reasons. They may be an A-Grader such as Brennan Johnson who can push the team on. They can also act as depth which is probably true in this case. Vale was brought in as a third option behind Walker and House. Vale also meant Draper could get much needed game time.

Of all the things to moan about, loans is pretty far down the list.

I haven’t the time or patience to scroll the match thread but I guess it makes grim reading this morning.
I actually enjoyed the first 45 minutes despite the softest of goals to concede. We had a better looking 5212 formation with Jovan and Haks as a 2 with Bishop behind them. We seemed in full control, had much more possession and although no real concrete openings I thought we were better than ok. It all went a bit Pete Tong with the 2nd half subs. We lost shape and control and although Bishop didn’t open up their defence he held that position dropping in to help Hamilton and Smith in midfield so we really controlled the midfield and there was little Blackpool threat. That and the bizarre decision to play Brown as the RWB rather than push Duffy forward and Brown slot in at LB meant we lost control in midfield and just looked a bit of a disjointed mess for the last 30 minutes.
Positives were we looked ok for 60 minutes with a better formation that gave us good possession and with 2 sharper strikers ( tho Jovan was ok ) we looked as if we could create openings.
Negatives were a few
From 60 minutes on when the substitutions hamstrung us, seemed very tactically naive decisions, not a lot of tactical nous on the management front.
Fans, nearly 500 was a decent turnout but some of the supposed dark humour chanting from the Neanderthals was embarrassing and not very supportive of the club.
Weather post match was horrendous, torrential rain and poor driving conditions meant a stressfull drive back to overnight stay in Manchester.

It's player (Vale) rather than players.

Why? Lots of reasons. They may be an A-Grader such as Brennan Johnson who can push the team on. They can also act as depth which is probably true in this case. Vale was brought in as a third option behind Walker and House. Vale also meant Draper could get much needed game time.

Of all the things to moan about, loans is pretty far down the list.

I agree although I think Vale was a weird signing if it was to be cover for Walker and House as I'm not really sure he's capable of playing down the middle as the main striker. May have just been a case of 'Vale is available' but he isn't really a focal point and having to wait so long for him to be fit kind of topped it off. Not been worth the wait sadly.

As an extra wide option to rat around a bit he might be alright but that he's behind Makama as the 9... who was rumoured to be off to Peterborough Sports does say a lot (that's not me criticising Makama...)

decent turnout but some of the supposed dark humour chanting from the Neanderthals was embarrassing and not very supportive of the club.

The last half an hour of chants about other players and managers from the last decade + songs about shots on target and "it's a long way to Wycombe when we're shit" did seem a little bit worrying in terms of the atmosphere going forward although I tended to agree on the latter! Was there even a (small) sacked in the morning..? :slap:

I guess it fits with the 'let's not eat ourselves' point but I fear it might get slightly worse before it gets better, with wholesale changes to style in January suggested and a tough set of games (Wycombe away isn't an easy one at the best of times although they've only had 1 win in 13 (!) and then Derby and Peterborough). Most of us can accept that's tough but we don't really want to go on losing 5,6,7 in a row... can't be good for confidence.

Yes we'll have one or two new names and the likes of Moylan available but it's a big ask to change things and do well quickly in a week or two when we've got opposition with well established ways of playing and we're on quite a bad run. A little concerned we've not really seen much in way of successful tweaks and now there's a lot of pressure on turning up in 11 days time and coming out with basically a new football team.

I fear hopes of limping to January and it turning around might be more limping to March or so, I know it's give it time etc but I think it's going to be important to see something to get behind.

Last edited:
Maybe you should take a ride up the A46 and support a really good team with a proven, experienced manager? You would enjoy that much more, as you obviously deserve better and I'm sure they would appreciate the type of support that you give to a team
And maybe you should keep your silly advices to yourself.?
Sounds like you have got a bit experience in that by the way. Who is your PL team ??

Been through thick and thin (mostly thin) with my club and I will stay here. It doesn't mean however that I have to pretend I'm happy with the crap on the pitch. Pretty far from it.

And maybe you should keep your silly advices to yourself.?
Sounds like you have got a bit experience in that by the way. Who is your PL team ??

Been through thick and thin (mostly thin) with my club and I will stay here. It doesn't mean however that I have to pretend I'm happy with the crap on the pitch. Pretty far from it.
You carry on with barbs and name calling of the head coach when he's still fairly new in post and dealing with a ridiculaous ninjury list and yoiu'll get what's coming from me.

I've also been though thin, thin and thick with the Imps for 50+ years and I know that supporting your team means just that and not taking every opportunity to repeatedly put them down

And I don't have a PL team, FYI

UTI

You carry on with barbs and name calling of the head coach when he's still fairly new in post and dealing with a ridiculaous ninjury list and yoiu'll get what's coming from me.

I've also been though thin, thin and thick with the Imps for 50+ years and I know that supporting your team means just that and not taking every opportunity to repeatedly put them down

And I don't have a PL team, FYI

UTI
First thing well done for not having PL club. Nicely surprising.

As for what I'm saying it is working both ways. When I see positives I will talk about them and be happy as I want only good for my club. I was one of the few standing by Kennedy till he got sucked for example.
On the other hand when see only tactically clueless , disorganized and toothless crap I will call it. It's so frustrating to see us moving backwards. I know it might change but as it stands I can't see even a glamour of hope from Skubala. Every department on the pitch (defence, midfield,attack even set pieces ) is not clicking. I hope he can change it but for now in our current form we are one of the worst sides in division under him.

The last half an hour of chants about other players and managers from the last decade + songs about shots on target and "it's a long way to Wycombe when we're shit" did seem a little bit worrying in terms of the atmosphere going forward although I tended to agree on the latter! Was there even a (small) sacked in the morning..? :slap:

I guess it fits with the 'let's not eat ourselves' point but I fear it might get slightly worse before it gets better, with wholesale changes to style in January suggested and a tough set of games (Wycombe away isn't an easy one at the best of times although they've only had 1 win in 13 (!) and then Derby and Peterborough). Most of us can accept that's tough but we don't really want to go on losing 5,6,7 in a row... can't be good for confidence.

Yes we'll have one or two new names and the likes of Moylan available but it's a big ask to change things and do well quickly in a week or two when we've got opposition with well established ways of playing and we're on quite a bad run. A little concerned we've not really seen much in way of successful tweaks and now there's a lot of pressure on turning up in 11 days time and coming out with basically a new football team.

I fear hopes of limping to January and it turning around might be more limping to March or so, I know it's give it time etc but I think it's going to be important to see something to get behind.

Yes, the discontent from the travelling support worries me too. While not representative of all City fans, they do represent the most dedicated supporters.

The next two or three games are crucual for Skoobs as the atmosphere could well turn toxic if there are no signs of improvement. I don't necessarily mean wins, although that would be most welcome. I'm talking more about positive signs on the pitch of improvements in the way we play.

Skoobs was always going to be in a difficult position with many fans if he did not start well. There was a big clamour for the return of the Cowleys, and therefore a lot of fans itching to say "I told you so".