Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm | Page 36 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm

And what if you couldn't use your car?

I'd be dead or very ill, I've had a car since I was 17, take my car away would be like losing my arms and legs.
I did go to Villa Park on the Number 11 bus twice but it wasn't for me, full of dirty grubby filthy people and takes the scenic route through Handsworth a scary place indeed.

Done the train a few times it's alright for 3 pm kick offs but for 5.30 kick offs like when we played the Albion in the cup under Sherwood I missed my train from New Street and the last train to Newcastle leaves York at 9pm which I obviously missed then a great day became horrendous.Ended up having to get a taxi from York to Newcastle never again I can tell ya.

That is one of the reasons I turned down a few seats offered to me, when my legs are bad, I simply can't be getting up and down. The ones that leave early when the game is still close also confuse me, you wouldn't leave a film 10 mins before the end would you!? And films are cheaper than the footie.

Speaking of seats, how did you get on in corporate?

That is one of the reasons I turned down a few seats offered to me, when my legs are bad, I simply can't be getting up and down. The ones that leave early when the game is still close also confuse me, you wouldn't leave a film 10 mins before the end would you!? And films are cheaper than the footie.
Spot on ! Dead right! Would never do it!
Er, ahem, did Steve McQueen get over the barbed wire in The Great Escape?

Decided to rewatch the match and take note of everything that happened, including screenshots of the various chances if people want to see what I'm referring to, so I could give a proper analysis of the action.

I'd be happy to do a proper write up including said screenshots if Mike/Fear want, but for now will give a few summary points:

The Penalty:
This all starts as a result of a positive high press by Villa, forcing the ball back to Ramsdale who then clears it just past the halfway line. The header is won by Wilson, leading to a couple passes between King/Fraser, before Fraser playing a hopeful through ball that really isn't dangerous at all. Mings has position to herd Wilson towards the corner, but Heaton decides to challenge and bring down Wilson. Blaming anyone for this play besides Heaton is wrong, and this is a classic example of the blood rush a player can experience during their home debut in a big atmosphere.

Time between Bournemouth Goals:
A lot of people were commenting that Villa were completely outplayed until Bournemouth went 2-0 up and decided to sit back, but that just isn't the case. Bournemouth's second goal is scored in the 11th minute, and there are 5 opportunities during that time period, 4 from Villa and 1 from Bournemouth. Unfortunately for Villa, the story of the day was wasted set pieces, horrible crossing, and poor finishing.

The Douglas "Dummy":
Deano said it himself in the post-game comments, but to blame Douglas for this goal is incredibly harsh. He does a good job of stopping a cross from a corner and setting Trezeguet away down the right. At this point Trezeguet has 3 options, continue the run down the right and have Fraser likely tackle the ball out of bounds, play a ball down the line for someone to run on to which probably results in Bournemouth playing all the way back to Ramsdale, or cut inside and a play a square ball towards Douglas. He plays the square ball to Luiz who has 3 Bournemouth players around him, with Lerma closing him quickly. You can see why he doesn’t try and control the ball, as that would have immediately created a turnover. Instead, he thinks Grealish is behind him for the dummy, but Jack had continued his run upfield leaving Harry Wilson there to collect the dummy. Even at this point you wouldn’t expect Wilson to score, taking a pot shot from 30 yards out. Mings gets his body on the shot about 20 yards out from the goal, taking an otherwise routine catch from Heaton and turning it into a Roberto Carlos style curving rocket which moves from 3 feet outside the post back off the inside of the post for a goal. You just have to chock that up as horrendous luck. I'll also reinforce that it’s completely against the run of play with Villa mostly bossing the first 10 minutes of this match.

The Mings "Hoof Ball":
Mings played 5 or so long balls in the first half, but it was clearly a directive from the coaching staff as they caused a number of problems for the Bournemouth defense. Specifically, right after the goal there is a long ball up to Wesley which causes Cook all kinds of issues, with Wesley being in on goal if not for the ball getting caught up in Cook's legs as he lies on the ground. A similar event happened in the 22nd minute, as another over the top ball from Mings causes a poor first touch from Daniels and allows McGinn to run onto the ball and strike uncontested from 18 yards out. Unfortunately McGinn puts it straight down the chest of Ramsdale and another great scoring chance goes by the wayside

The Phrase "wastes the chance with a poor ball":
Believe it or not, this phrase occurs in my notes for Villa in the 7th, 13th, 16th, 19th, 25th, 30th, 32nd, 46th, 51st, 52nd, 59th, 64th, 67th, 68th, 73rd, 78th (twice here actually as Elmo crossed it over everyone only for Jack to run onto it and cross it out of bounds), 82nd, and 88th minutes. This is only wasted crosses or set piece deliveries, and doesn't include poor finishes (of which there are many)

Wesley:
The man has taken a ton of flack on here for not doing anything, particularly his poor hold up play. Rewatching the match, there are a number of great passages of play starting with Wesley holding the ball up and releasing someone down the wing. In the 3rd minute he takes down a Mings long ball before spreading it wide to Trezeguet who runs down the right, drops the ball to Elmo for a cross which El Ghazi heads over the bar. In the 16th, he receives the ball just inside Bournemouth's half, get's fouled as he releases the ball to an onrushing McGinn who plays to Grealish at the top of the box where he wins a free kick 20 yards from Bournemouth's goal. In the 26th, he gets a ball into feet with two defenders on his back, rolls it a bit in front of him enough to turn and shoot (although it is ultimately deflected into a tame shot at Ramsdale).

Grealish's Curler:
In the 53rd minute, McGinn is taken down from behind, but stays aware and quickly passes to Grealish in space from the free kick. He dribbles towards the goal and tries to curl a shot from 22 yards out, but just doesn't wrap his foot around it enough. Worth mentioning that the only reason Grealish gets the space is a great bit of movement from Wesley to move both Bournemouth center backs away from Grealish's path. This is one you'd expect to hit the back of the net

Jota:
Another one who I feel is getting some undeserved flack. He comes on in the 75th minute, and his first touch is a brilliant piece of vision to spot Wesley making a run over the top. Unfortunately, he does play the ball slightly too heavy and Ramsdale beats Wesley to it, but it's clear those two have chemistry. Additionally, in the 80th minute, Wesley holds the ball up and plays Jota down the right. Jota then cuts inside and plays a beautiful ball to the middle of the Bournemouth area, which unfortunately finds the head of Neil Taylor for a quality defensive header away from the goal. Only a minute later, a passage of play finds Douglas playing Jota down the right. He dribbles down the wing before cutting inside, drawing in two Bournemouth defenders, and opening up the space for a through ball which Douglas runs onto just inside right of the Bournemouth area. Douglas attempts to cut the ball back to Trezeguet at the top of the box, but wastes the chance with a poorly hit pass. Bottom line: Jota created a lot in a little amount of time.

I realize this post has become enormous, so I won't go into more depth on things like Bournemouth's ridiculous number of shot blocks, Billing's 3 late challenges while on a yellow for persistent fouling, or Heaton's save on Harry Wilson just before the half to keep Villa in the match.

All the above said, if you rewatch the match and separate emotion from fact, you'd come to the conclusion that Villa were desperately unlucky not to win that match. Yes they didn't win and the points are all that matter, but the performance gives me confidence Villa will be fine this season.

Decided to rewatch the match and take note of everything that happened, including screenshots of the various chances if people want to see what I'm referring to, so I could give a proper analysis of the action.

I'd be happy to do a proper write up including said screenshots if Mike/Fear want, but for now will give a few summary points:

The Penalty:
This all starts as a result of a positive high press by Villa, forcing the ball back to Ramsdale who then clears it just past the halfway line. The header is won by Wilson, leading to a couple passes between King/Fraser, before Fraser playing a hopeful through ball that really isn't dangerous at all. Mings has position to herd Wilson towards the corner, but Heaton decides to challenge and bring down Wilson. Blaming anyone for this play besides Heaton is wrong, and this is a classic example of the blood rush a player can experience during their home debut in a big atmosphere.

A lot of people were commenting that Villa were completely outplayed until Bournemouth went 2-0 up and decided to sit back, but that just isn't the case. Bournemouth's second goal is scored in the 11th minute, and there are 5 opportunities during that time period, 4 from Villa and 1 from Bournemouth. Unfortunately for Villa, the story of the day was wasted set pieces, horrible crossing, and poor finishing.

The Douglas "Dummy":
Deano said it himself in the post-game comments, but to blame Douglas for this goal is incredibly harsh. He does a good job of stopping a cross from a corner and setting Trezeguet away down the right. At this point Trezeguet has 3 options, continue the run down the right and have Fraser likely tackle the ball out of bounds, play a ball down the line for someone to run on to which probably results in Bournemouth playing all the way back to Ramsdale, or cut inside and a play a square ball towards Douglas. He plays the square ball to Luiz who has 3 Bournemouth players around him, with Lerma closing him quickly. You can see why he doesn’t try and control the ball, as that would have immediately created a turnover. Instead, he thinks Grealish is behind him for the dummy, but Jack had continued his run upfield leaving Harry Wilson there to collect the dummy. Even at this point you wouldn’t expect Wilson to score, taking a pot shot from 30 yards out. Mings gets his body on the shot about 20 yards out from the goal, taking an otherwise routine catch from Heaton and turning it into a Roberto Carlos style curving rocket which moves from 3 feet outside the post back off the inside of the post for a goal. You just have to chock that up as horrendous luck. I'll also reinforce that it’s completely against the run of play with Villa mostly bossing the first 10 minutes of this match.

The Mings "Hoof Ball":
Mings played 5 or so long balls in the first half, but it was clearly a directive from the coaching staff as they caused a number of problems for the Bournemouth defense. Specifically, right after the goal there is a long ball up to Wesley which causes Cook all kinds of issues, with Wesley being in on goal if not for the ball getting caught up in Cook's legs as he lies on the ground. A similar event happened in the 22nd minute, as another over the top ball from Mings causes a poor first touch from Daniels and allows McGinn to run onto the ball and strike uncontested from 18 yards out. Unfortunately McGinn puts it straight down the chest of Ramsdale and another great scoring chance goes by the wayside

Believe it or not, this phrase occurs in my notes for Villa in the 7th, 13th, 16th, 19th, 25th, 30th, 32nd, 46th, 51st, 52nd, 59th, 64th, 67th, 68th, 73rd, 78th (twice here actually as Elmo crossed it over everyone only for Jack to run onto it and cross it out of bounds), 82nd, and 88th minutes. This is only wasted crosses or set piece deliveries, and doesn't include poor finishes (of which there are many)

Wesley:
The man has taken a ton of flack on here for not doing anything, particularly his poor hold up play. Rewatching the match, there are a number of great passages of play starting with Wesley holding the ball up and releasing someone down the wing. In the 3rd minute he takes down a Mings long ball before spreading it wide to Trezeguet who runs down the right, drops the ball to Elmo for a cross which El Ghazi heads over the bar. In the 16th, he receives the ball just inside Bournemouth's half, get's fouled as he releases the ball to an onrushing McGinn who plays to Grealish at the top of the box where he wins a free kick 20 yards from Bournemouth's goal. In the 26th, he gets a ball into feet with two defenders on his back, rolls it a bit in front of him enough to turn and shoot (although it is ultimately deflected into a tame shot at Ramsdale).

Grealish's Curler:
In the 53rd minute, McGinn is taken down from behind, but stays aware and quickly passes to Grealish in space from the free kick. He dribbles towards the goal and tries to curl a shot from 22 yards out, but just doesn't wrap his foot around it enough. Worth mentioning that the only reason Grealish gets the space is a great bit of movement from Wesley to move both Bournemouth center backs away from Grealish's path. This is one you'd expect to hit the back of the net

Jota:
Another one who I feel is getting some undeserved flack. He comes on in the 75th minute, and his first touch is a brilliant piece of vision to spot Wesley making a run over the top. Unfortunately, he does play the ball slightly too heavy and Ramsdale beats Wesley to it, but it's clear those two have chemistry. Additionally, in the 80th minute, Wesley holds the ball up and plays Jota down the right. Jota then cuts inside and plays a beautiful ball to the middle of the Bournemouth area, which unfortunately finds the head of Neil Taylor for a quality defensive header away from the goal. Only a minute later, a passage of play finds Douglas playing Jota down the right. He dribbles down the wing before cutting inside, drawing in two Bournemouth defenders, and opening up the space for a through ball which Douglas runs onto just inside right of the Bournemouth area. Douglas attempts to cut the ball back to Trezeguet at the top of the box, but wastes the chance with a poorly hit pass. Bottom line: Jota created a lot in a little amount of time.

I realize this post has become enormous, so I won't go into more depth on things like Bournemouth's ridiculous number of shot blocks, Billing's 3 late challenges while on a yellow for persistent fouling, or Heaton's save on Harry Wilson just before the half to keep Villa in the match.

All the above said, if you rewatch the match and separate emotion from fact, you'd come to the conclusion that Villa were desperately unlucky not to win that match. Yes they didn't win and the points are all that matter, but the performance gives me confidence Villa will be fine this season.

Don't come round here with your dispassionate, in-depth analysis Yank. You'll upset the locals ?

The Penalty:

The Douglas "Dummy":

The Mings "Hoof Ball":

Wesley:

Grealish's Curler:

Jota:

Great summary!

I'm game mike@vitalfootball.co.uk :utv:

I agree with

The Penalty:

The Douglas "Dummy":

The Mings "Hoof Ball":

Wesley:

Grealish's Curler:

Jota:

I agree with a lot of what you said there, but their 2nd goal is Douglas Luiz’ fault. You play a dummy if you know it’s going to a teammate, not if you think it will. He should have taken a touch and played a percentage ball down the right hand channel. Having said that he grew into the game and was excellent in the 2nd half. I like the look of him

I agree with

I agree with a lot of what you said there, but their 2nd goal is Douglas Luiz’ fault. You play a dummy if you know it’s going to a teammate, not if you think it will. He should have taken a touch and played a percentage ball down the right hand channel. Having said that he grew into the game and was excellent in the 2nd half. I like the look of him

I think as a manager you sign up for a team taking shots 30 yards away from your goal 10 times out of 10, so in that sense it isn't Douglas' fault. Additionally, he had a very low percentage opportunity to take a touch a play a percentage ball given the position of Lerma rushing onto him. The only option besides the dummy would have been to hoof it out of bounds, which I'll admit would have been the smarter play.

All that said, if Trez had just played the percentage ball down the right hand channel, or continued a run down the right hand channel, Douglas never has to make the choice of Dummy/turnover/hoof out of bounds.

No sorry, if I’m
I think as a manager you sign up for a team taking shots 30 yards away from your goal 10 times out of 10, so in that sense it isn't Douglas' fault. Additionally, he had a very low percentage opportunity to take a touch a play a percentage ball given the position of Lerma rushing onto him. The only option besides the dummy would have been to hoof it out of bounds, which I'll admit would have been the smarter play.

All that said, if Trez had just played the percentage ball down the right hand channel, or continued a run down the right hand channel, Douglas never has to make the choice of Dummy/turnover/hoof out of bounds.
No sorry, if I’m the manager I’m not happy for Harry Wilson to take a pop shot at goal. Even from 30 yards. It was Douglas Luiz fault. If he really had no time he should have just cleared the ball