Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
After Spurs away in a tough opener, we return to Mecca on Saturday against Eddie Howe's Bournemouth. This game will give us a better indication of where we are I think, and I fancy us to take the points.

Who's with me?

:utv:

This is a must win game there's no two ways about it. We need to get at least 30 points from home this season to stay up and this is one of the easier ones. I'll be absolutely terrified if we go up against everton three games in with no points or one point.

There is a world of difference from what we saw on Saturday away to Spurs and Bournemouth at home. We wilted due to the physical consistency of Spurs attacking and trying to defend all the second half.

At home you would like to think we will be far more in the front foot even with Bournemouth’s style of keeping the ball.

Mings to have a blinder and a 2-0 win!!

Clearly a Villa win :utv:

Certainly the level here that we have to test ourselves against and compare ourselves with. The top 5 are a shut out, barring a miracle, right now. But 12 down, got to be looking to pick up points.

I watched Bournemouth vs Sheff UTD the weekend. Bournemouth looked very ordinary.

I do worry however that Howe will be very aware that 1 point (should we win) from two of the newly promoted sides will be a bit of a stinker.

We'll be ok though. 2-0 Villa

Firstly I can't wait to get back to Villa Park.

I hope that the guys have learned from the Spurs match and have another week of integrating the newer players into Deano's system.

Also hope that Wesley has not been reading some of the overly negative comments on here and is ready to apply himself and has realised that he is going to get neither time nor space, and that playing up front on his own will be a heck of a physical battle every week. Would be great to see him score his first goal for Villa in front of the Holte End.

Fancy a win but think it will be the hard way after going a goal down. 2-1 to the good guys.

must win 6 pointer ,lose this we are down

Really worried about Wesley, he's clearly not a goal scorer and it would appear that the full backs can't be trusted. Douglas Luiz looked out of his depth too during his 8 minute appearance.

Should have signed proven Prem experience like Welbeck, Defoe or Austin up front. Really worried that Deano didn't make the right substitution when Erikson came on.

Just got to hope for the best.

Bournemouth have been reported as being poor on the road since being in the PL. However, when they do get a result, they tend to be big/emphatic (eg. 3-0 at Watford & 5-0 at Brighton last season). I personally don't think their record is all that bad:

2018/19: 5 away wins & 1 draw = 16 points.
2017/18: 4 away wins & 6 draws = 18 points.
2016/17: 3 away wins & 6 draws = 15 points.
2015/16: 6 away wins & 4 draws = 22 points.

It certainly won't be easy but a similar amount of effort as displayed at Spurs will ensure we are contenders in most games this season I'd think.

You would think Villa Park will be electric too. Real opportunity to be a 12th Man!

I would like to inform the powers that be that someone appears to have temporarity hacked my VV account.
Is everyone taking the piss nowadays? :shrug:

View attachment 34509

Harmless fun or childish nonsense, the choice is yours :yes: Merely consulting my crystal balls and predicting one possible future for some. Sometimes a bit dull on Monday isn't it. :detective:

Remember computer says #nowinsinten, #bottomatchristmas Could happen.

Are our new signings going to take to the Premiership like ducks to water or have we bought a bunch of donkeys?

If we can't beat a bunch of no marks who play in a shed, in front of a bunch of retired pensioners, then surely we should start planning for next season in the Championship :slap:.

Lets ask 80's Brummie icon Toyah what she thinks. "Sometimes it's so far away, sometimes it's so near." :whist:

Last edited:
If we go out with the same intent as at Spurs (we will), we stand a good chance of winning. I'm going for a win. I won't be unduly worried if we lose; football's like that. But we do need some useful points from the first half dozen matches.

The Bournemouth fans will certainly be giving Mings some stick. Hopefully he can quiten them down with a bullet header from one of Conor's set pieces. Big Wes to take them by surprise by riding a couple of crunching tackles before sticking one in as well