Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

Beautiful Lewis - tick
Erhahon - tick (the best debut for a good whole)
Shots and goals - tick
Cleano - tick

Fantastic win. After a couple of drab 0-0s you can now spin 3 cleanos on the bounce with a win and two of those away games from home. Win at Bristol Rovers next week and the Kennedy Out thread will be offers to get Mark out to the Treaty on Saturday night.

19th November our last league win, the ultimate reason to celebrate. Maybe Lincoln were just waiting for those on dry Jan to get through the month before playing champagne football.

we have never been in league one with that few.

League One is the third tier, the same as the old Division Three. We played in the third tier for 5 seasons between 1981 and 1986. The lowest attendance in each season was lower than today's gate of 2382. The attendance of 1372 against Port Vale on 12 May 1984 was, at the time, our lowest ever home FL gate since 1925-26 when official records begin.

League One is the third tier, the same as the old Division Three. We played in the third tier for 5 seasons between 1981 and 1986. The lowest attendance in each season was lower than today's gate of 2382. The attendance of 1372 against Port Vale on 12 May 1984 was, at the time, our lowest ever home FL gate since 1925-26 when official records begin.

I am sure you are correct but I was talking about the modern game. Apples with apples not 40 years ago. What was our 1984 attendance compared to the rest of the league then?

Only caught snippets of todays game due to work, but it sounds like it was a new team with belief out there today. Bishop a revelation in his new position and Erhahon the midfield we’ve been missing. Not forgetting of course the 🐐 Lewis. It’s like having a new signing in itself. Add to that a first strike for Roughan, it’s a very happy Sat night for me and the old mojo is fully restored ready for the Gas next weekend. UTI 👊💥👏

Bishop must be the happiest man in Lincoln having someone so composed and comfortable to play with. After only a few days together to build such a good understanding is really promising. Hopefully they can both stay fit.
The five at the back made a return, it worked today and accommodated Montsma, but I hope we use it as and when and not every game again.
Montsma is such a terrific player and nearly scored the goal of the season just before his clash of heads
House had a much better game than last week but the service in to him was so much better.
The new forward looked quite lovely.
Stanley were particularly poor.

Don’t think jabbing at those who criticised last week is ideal.

It was awful last week. It was great this week.

Majority of people call it as they see it - if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.. it’s a duck!

Much needed 3 points and well done to Kennedy, the players and the fans who travelled.

Beat Rovers next week and we leapfrog them!
Agree up to a point but, some people seem to think it makes their views more credible when ‘they say it as they see it’ but, I just see it as attention seeking!

Yes, crowds of 2,160 1,980 1,824 1,908 and 1,473 in the last 5 HOME games of 1984-85 season and we finished 19th, above the relegation zone! In fact the average home league crowd for that season was only 2,512.

To be fair I would guess that Accrington Stanley were getting gates in three figures at that time in the North West Counties League.

Very good win at a difficult place to go to, its many since we had a victory there.

Clearly not the best side we will come up against between now and the end of the season but as we have seen its the likes of Accrington that we have found difficult to beat this season.

Today it was important that we saw improvement in the shape, balance and attacking wise and I think we did and there can be no argument with scoring 3 goals away from home and the amount of efforts we had at goal.

A really good foundation block laid for Kennedy to build on in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Bishop must be the happiest man in Lincoln having someone so composed and comfortable to play with. After only a few days together to build such a good understanding is really promising. Hopefully they can both stay fit.
The five at the back made a return, it worked today and accommodated Montsma, but I hope we use it as and when and not every game again.
Montsma is such a terrific player and nearly scored the goal of the season just before his clash of heads
House had a much better game than last week but the service in to him was so much better.
The new forward looked quite lovely.
Stanley were particularly poor.

Agree. It suited Lewis.

Formations can be overthought and discussed to death in modern football. Intent is key and we had plenty of that today. Five at the back isn’t inherently negative and we proved that today. Well done all

Played very well, in my opinion. Accy commentators think he had a great game.

I can understand some concerns that he was out muscled and lost the ball a few times in the first 20 mins but he caused Accy plenty of problems with his pace resulting in the third and from my angle a decent shout for pen shortly after.
Shodipo deserved the resounding applause as he walked around and behind the goal after being subbed.

Agree. It suited Lewis.

Formations can be overthought and discussed to death in modern football. Intent is key and we had plenty of that today. Five at the back isn’t inherently negative and we proved that today. Well done all

Absolutely. I thought Montsma brought the best out of Poole going forward - a real partnership showing there.

Roughan also got forward a lot more too, especially with us actually passing through midfield. Its going to be a real battle between him and Boyes for left wing back.

A pefect example today that 5 at the back does not have to be negative, as MK has been saying for months despite our criticism and some awful performances. Erhahon and Montsma could well be the keys to make it really work.

I am sure you are correct but I was talking about the modern game. Apples with apples not 40 years ago. What was our 1984 attendance compared to the rest of the league then?
1984-85 - Division Three - some very big names in there with dismal crowds:

Derby County 10,833
Bristol City 8,507
Hull City 7,550
Bradford City 6,639
Millwall 6,470
York City 5,550
Bristol Rovers 5,258
Plymouth Argyle 5,054
Bolton Wanderers 4,951
Walsall 4,812
Gillingham 4,720
Rotherham United 4,505
Swansea City 4,421
Burnley 4,177
Doncaster Rovers 4,103
Brentford 4,074
AFC Bournemouth 3,851
Preston North End 3,793
Reading 3,689
Wigan Athletic 3,265
Leyton Orient 2,640
Lincoln City 2,512
Newport County 2,412
Cambridge United 2,102

Just got back thoughts on the game thought we were superb from start to finish Montsama has come back better than ever and I thought Erhahon looked absolute class and still only 21.

Moses grew into the game and looked super in the 2nd half before he was subbed.

Listened to John Coleman on the way home he sounded absolutely beaten said 8 or 9 players were below par today and they were 2nd best throughout he now has all 6 centre backs out injured.

Thought Accy were really poor just hoofball down the field maybe this is the season they do down.

With Plange, Erhahon,Montsama and Shipodo we practically have half a new team and they all seem an upgrade.

Vernam looks good on the wing but he has to improve his end product.

All in all a lot of very happy Imps at full time.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I thought Montsma brought the best out of Poole going forward - a real partnership showing there.

Roughan also got forward a lot more too, especially with us actually passing through midfield. Its going to be a real battle between him and Boyes for left wing back.

A pefect example today that 5 at the back does not have to be negative, as MK has been saying for months despite our criticism and some awful performances. Erhahon and Montsma could well be the keys to make it really work.

Roughan’s goal too. What an unbelievable finish. Mayo-esque against Scunthorpe all those years ago.