Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

In order to add some balance to the wall of positivity being shown on here today, I think the substitutions made caused us some issues. Sorensons swap for Bishop and subsequent move of ethan further forward instantly made our midfield weaker and we lacked composure in the middle of the park. Vernam for shadipo seemed odd as shadipo had just seemed to finally warm up to the job during the game. Vernam had a lot of blind alley runs and weak weak shots. Boyes for Rougham was a fair substation as the lad looked knackered after working hard all game and in truth I thought he looked one more block / tackle away from a card.

I am not blind to the positives, ethan was outstanding in the midfield, montsma coming back into the team was excellent and gave us a focus in attacking set pieces. Bishop in his natural role works really well. I think if we need to replace Bishop we could drop house further back and bring plange on, or do a attacking midfield swap with Mandroiu, rather than bringing on the hard working yet utterly unsettling influence of lasse.

A good result against a poor side and we can't say that too often, 3 points closer to safety but still some work to be done in terms of shape once the starting 11 is changed

Personally loved the Vernam sub. His shooting was poor (again) but I didn't see any of these "blind alley runs", he seemed to be successfully cutting inside repeatedly. Definitely feel nervous whenever Sorensen is on though

In order to add some balance to the wall of positivity being shown on here today, I think the substitutions made caused us some issues. Sorensons swap for Bishop and subsequent move of ethan further forward instantly made our midfield weaker and we lacked composure in the middle of the park. Vernam for shadipo seemed odd as shadipo had just seemed to finally warm up to the job during the game. Vernam had a lot of blind alley runs and weak weak shots. Boyes for Rougham was a fair substation as the lad looked knackered after working hard all game and in truth I thought he looked one more block / tackle away from a card.

I am not blind to the positives, ethan was outstanding in the midfield, montsma coming back into the team was excellent and gave us a focus in attacking set pieces. Bishop in his natural role works really well. I think if we need to replace Bishop we could drop house further back and bring plange on, or do a attacking midfield swap with Mandroiu, rather than bringing on the hard working yet utterly unsettling influence of lasse.

A good result against a poor side and we can't say that too often, 3 points closer to safety but still some work to be done in terms of shape once the starting 11 is changed

I can understand the Bishop one as we need to manage his game time and at that point the game was won. From that point we did feel less creative, though players did start to coast at that point.

Roughan’s goal too. What an unbelievable finish. Mayo-esque against Scunthorpe all those years ago.

Very impressive. Superb control with the outside of his left foot, on the volley, on the stretch.

There are two points.

One the team is being built and isn't built. MK has said Erhahan is his first real signing in his style and mold. It will take 3 or 4 transfer windows for the squad to reflect the manager.

The game was already won after 50 mins or so and the game changed. Sorensen wasn't brought on to continue the same pace and intensity. Accrington didn't score, Sorensen did his job and saw the game out.

I'd really point everyone to MK's open and honest post match interview- I'll keep saying this, we have a real young management talent here.

There are two points.

One the team is being built and isn't built. MK has said Erhahan is his first real signing in his style and mold. It will take 3 or 4 transfer windows for the squad to reflect the manager.

The game was already won after 50 mins or so and the game changed. Sorensen wasn't brought on to continue the same pace and intensity. Accrington didn't score, Sorensen did his job and saw the game out.

I'd really point everyone to MK's open and honest post match interview- I'll keep saying this, we have a real young management talent here.
Fair to say Erhahon is the first player MK has signed in his style and mould but….
We won’t be signing many players of his quality and price tag so any manager has to use the tools he has and coach them to be better. I guess MK would like to sign
Wes Burns ( for example) as he may say he fits his preferred style but his job is to mould a player we have to play in that style because we can’t buy a ready made Wes Burns. The coaching is definately improving certain players, Ben House certainly, but Sorenson, Sanders and T.O.B to mention 3 show no sign of stepping up consistently. Motivation and inspiration as well as coaching are vital elements especially for limited lower league players. TJ, Ted Bishop and Mandy you could possibly question that they need more motivation and mental inspiration from the management team.

Fair to say Erhahon is the first player MK has signed in his style and mould but….
We won’t be signing many players of his quality and price tag so any manager has to use the tools he has and coach them to be better. I guess MK would like to sign
Wes Burns ( for example) as he may say he fits his preferred style but his job is to mould a player we have to play in that style because we can’t buy a ready made Wes Burns. The coaching is definately improving certain players, Ben House certainly, but Sorenson, Sanders and T.O.B to mention 3 show no sign of stepping up consistently. Motivation and inspiration as well as coaching are vital elements especially for limited lower league players. TJ, Ted Bishop and Mandy you could possibly question that they need more motivation and mental inspiration from the management team.

We’re talking about L1 players and a manager who’s been in post for 27 league games. Players develop at individual rates and some (probably most) won’t fulfil the potential the recruitment team identified. Feels a little early to judge - but yes absolutely our model is recruit develop sell repeat - I think success / failure is a multi-season judgement. There are isolated but promising early signs.

That is where the rebuilding and recruitment are going to have to be very smart- whether Sorensen and Sanders (as contracted players) will be able to step up and play in a way that Erhahan appears is, I agree, looking less likely and, the key word, consistently.

Bishop looked a different player yesterday to last week and, if we can keep him fit and in his preferred role, may be the missing gap for this season,...again, you're right that consistency is key and for TJ, Bishop etc- consistency is what makes the difference.

I can't see how we can buy many players at the cost of Erhahan (or compete for many players in a competitive market place with some clubs in L1) but maybe two or three in key roles can make a difference to those around them.

Summer will be interesting- the back five except Montsma (Poole, Roughan, Jackson, Walsh and possibly TJ) are all up for contract renewal. On the assumption Poole will leave, it may be we have a very new back line up next season which may give MK the chance to build the line how he wants it.

There is absolutely no way motivation or "mental inspiration" whatever that is, are problems at Lincoln at the moment.

We have been awful according to many experts, yet have only lost 7 games. You don't get that lack of losing games from a team that has an attitude problem...

Technically good players need the ball in the right areas and options around them. They use their intelligence and technical ability to create chances and goals.....

....but for that they need the opportunities to do that

... early balls, space, runners around them and like minded team mates.

Bishop played well yesterday because their was more of those things because of a greater number of players on our side able to provide that ....Ehrahon and Montsma etc

....and a lower level of competition from Accrington.

For my money
TJ will be a reasonable centre half but he doesn't see the options there are, as early as better players say Montsma (he reacts rather than anticipates) and you can't coach that much....

...and swap Sanders for TJ and the same issue applies... Sorensen is a bit less technically gifted ...

...all are improving .... but have a certain limit to their development.....

It will be harder to play as well as we did yesterday because sides will be better at stopping us than Accrington....but the addition of 2 or 3 better level players like we had yesterday will bring the best out of other intelligent players like Mandroiu, when they get their chance.

MK is doing most things right as far as I can see

I don't listen too much to what he says (it's mostly flannel just as it was from say DC) but I do like what I see.

Pragmatic, hard headed, intelligent and usually right.
He will make wrong choices, he is human but I have seen nothing to think he's not going to be here for a good long time.

An excellent win and three clean sheets in a row.

I have only seen the highlights but as soon as you see Montsma on the team sheet you know you've got half a chance of being able to get the team up the pitch and likewise with Erhahon who, based on the Youtube video and yesterday's highlights, spots a pass fairly early. It won't click like yesterday all the time but when you've got a couple of players like that who can break the lines in one pass, it doesn't half open the game up all of a sudden, which is what the front three have lacked for most of the season.

I really like House, is he on 10 or so for the season now? He's a pretty decent all round player isn't he? Technically decent, has a footballing brain, can finish, mobile etc and one who's jumped up two steps fairly easily from the NL. He'll be one we'll struggle to keep come summer 2024 if he keeps developing as he is.

I don't think Earahon was signed by Kennedy John.

This is what people are mixing up.

Kennedy is the COACH, his job is to coach players brought in by the recruitment team,
headed by Jez George. It is the recruitment team who are making the signings.

I would say we may have been trying to sign Erhahon since before Kennedy was appointed and we bagged him in this window. I also think this is also the case for Kendall. I'm not sure Kennedy rates him at all. We know how coaches/managers are about players they have had no input into them coming into the club and I personally don't see Kendall being offered a new contract....unless he starts getting in the Bromley team and banging a load of goals in.

Going forward and in the summer window, yes Kennedy will have to have a level of input into some potential signings but it will be Jez George, his team and the board who are identifying and signing players for the club.

The coach, present incumbant being Kennedy, will have to coach and mould those players into a team of how he wants them to perform tactically and physically and that's how it works.

The upside for the coach (whoever it may be) is that if he is successful he may be offered a better opportunity and position higher up the food chain which is where his ambition would be....and for the club, if he is not successful or they reach the point where the club feel he is not getting the best out of the players we have got he is simply jettisoned out of the club and the next coach on the list is brought in.

Don't get to attached or feel you have to defend the coach at every opportunity ,they really won't be around for more than 2 or 3 seasons whether they are successful or not, experience tells us that.

I will give the coach credit and criticism where its due but I won't ever treat them as if they were my best mate and nobody is ever allowed to say a word against them.

These people are doing their job...just like the rest of us. Do it right expect praise, do it wrong, expect criticism it's as simple as that.

Yesterday was a good day but some people have gone way over the top. It's one game against a very poor team on the day.

We saw what adding some quality new blood into the team does for the other players around them ,now we can begin to judge Kennedy as a coach and tactician.

Yesterday the signs were good and hopefully that can be built on and we can get a level of quality and consistency that sees us safely up this league rather than just having to peek over our shoulders to see where we are.

I don't think Earahon was signed by Kennedy John.

This is what people are mixing up.

Kennedy is the COACH, his job is to coach players brought in by the recruitment team,
headed by Jez George. It is the recruitment team who are making the signings.

I would say we may have been trying to sign Erhahon since before Kennedy was appointed and we bagged him in this window. I also think this is also the case for Kendall. I'm not sure Kennedy rates him at all. We know how coaches/managers are about players they have had no input into them coming into the club and I personally don't see Kendall being offered a new contract....unless he starts getting in the Bromley team and banging a load of goals in.

Going forward and in the summer window, yes Kennedy will have to have a level of input into some potential signings but it will be Jez George, his team and the board who are identifying and signing players for the club.

The coach, present incumbant being Kennedy, will have to coach and mould those players into a team of how he wants them to perform tactically and physically and that's how it works.

The upside for the coach (whoever it may be) is that if he is successful he may be offered a better opportunity and position higher up the food chain which is where his ambition would be....and for the club, if he is not successful or they reach the point where the club feel he is not getting the best out of the players we have got he is simply jettisoned out of the club and the next coach on the list is brought in.

Don't get to attached or feel you have to defend the coach at every opportunity ,they really won't be around for more than 2 or 3 seasons whether they are successful or not, experience tells us that.

I will give the coach credit and criticism where its due but I won't ever treat them as if they were my best mate and nobody is ever allowed to say a word against them.

These people are doing their job...just like the rest of us. Do it right expect praise, do it wrong, expect criticism it's as simple as that.

Yesterday was a good day but some people have gone way over the top. It's one game against a very poor team on the day.

We saw what adding some quality new blood into the team does for the other players around them ,now we can begin to judge Kennedy as a coach and tactician.

Yesterday the signs were good and hopefully that can be built on and we can get a level of quality and consistency that sees us safely up this league rather than just having to peek over our shoulders to see where we are.
MK has said he got much more input into the recruitment than he did in the summer.

If you believe the club's pronouncements, they have lots and lots of players who they monitor and keep in contact with. They identify all the possibles and then get the head coach or manager to decide who he wants and then they try and get them.

Yes, we will have been following nearly every player we sign for some time.

That's quite consistent with having the head coach saying who we bring in.