Major PL/FL Shake Up? | Page 9 | Vital Football

Major PL/FL Shake Up?

I have memories of the old salary cap. It was obscene. Players paid a pitance so that club owners could keep their wallets shut. I'm against caps. FFP is much more effective, that and good management.

Most EFL games are played on a Saturday at 3pm, which I like as these games work best for me to be able to get to Villa Park and also home pretty efficiently.

However, there’s enough repeats on Sky or the other channels to get more games in, or even stream games perhaps. Last night it was the Paul Ince Years or something, but surely each club could move one or two games to a midday Saturday, a Friday evening or Sunday midday to get on the box? I know there would be a clash with a bigger game probably from the Championship, but it would at least generate some revenue. The likes of sky wouldn’t make loads of money if any, but that’s where the power of the elite can use leverage as part of the contract for the top flight they need to support the game further down and we effectively subsidise through our tv contract, the contract for the smaller clubs. That way, they’ve earned it with a helping hand.

A lot of smaller clubs are streaming games already, why not come together and figure out a one stop shop for streaming where fans say purchase a season ticket online for £30-40 or individual matches for a tenner. I’m talking non Saturday 3pm games only. The hardcore fans of championship clubs who own season tickets would do both, so it’s new revenue largely.

Perhaps another way to help out is for all transfers to have a sell on clause so big clubs can’t abuse power and say no, if that happens. Loans were mentioned before where patent clubs pay half the wages which seems like a good idea.

I’d be happy to see say a fraction of the revenue of the top flight - talking fractions of a percent - go to a special pot where clubs can claim subsidies for training equipment for youth or ladies teams such as kits or travel.

If the intentions of the “Big 2” are genuine (LOL I know), along with this potentially being a PR own goal for the other 14, let’s explore ways to help and support equally, but within very tight means that don’t overly impact us (because we deserve our revenue from this league) but help clubs out a little.

Most EFL games are played on a Saturday at 3pm, which I like as these games work best for me to be able to get to Villa Park and also home pretty efficiently.

However, there’s enough repeats on Sky or the other channels to get more games in, or even stream games perhaps. Last night it was the Paul Ince Years or something, but surely each club could move one or two games to a midday Saturday, a Friday evening or Sunday midday to get on the box? I know there would be a clash with a bigger game probably from the Championship, but it would at least generate some revenue. The likes of sky wouldn’t make loads of money if any, but that’s where the power of the elite can use leverage as part of the contract for the top flight they need to support the game further down and we effectively subsidise through our tv contract, the contract for the smaller clubs. That way, they’ve earned it with a helping hand.

A lot of smaller clubs are streaming games already, why not come together and figure out a one stop shop for streaming where fans say purchase a season ticket online for £30-40 or individual matches for a tenner. I’m talking non Saturday 3pm games only. The hardcore fans of championship clubs who own season tickets would do both, so it’s new revenue largely.

Perhaps another way to help out is for all transfers to have a sell on clause so big clubs can’t abuse power and say no, if that happens. Loans were mentioned before where patent clubs pay half the wages which seems like a good idea.

I’d be happy to see say a fraction of the revenue of the top flight - talking fractions of a percent - go to a special pot where clubs can claim subsidies for training equipment for youth or ladies teams such as kits or travel.

If the intentions of the “Big 2” are genuine (LOL I know), along with this potentially being a PR own goal for the other 14, let’s explore ways to help and support equally, but within very tight means that don’t overly impact us (because we deserve our revenue from this league) but help clubs out a little.
The problem with the above though dan as I see it is that you would get these people paying season tickets whilst this virus is with us, who knows how long for, and it would be very difficult to then get them back out of the armchair and back into EFL grounds.

The problem with the above though dan as I see it is that you would get these people paying season tickets whilst this virus is with us, who knows how long for, and it would be very difficult to then get them back out of the armchair and back into EFL grounds.

On the above, I only meant your league 1 or 2 team would be on the box say a couple of times per season max, so if I’m understanding you correctly and you’re saying people might choose to watch all games on the box - it shouldn’t in theory stop the real fans going to games.

It certainly isn’t lucrative for Sky to invest in the lower leagues, and our EPL subsidies would have to pay for it. It would be a couple of years to help raise the profile of the EFL, and may just help the local economy a little. If the EFL wants to make more money it’s going to take some entrepreneurship and ultimately TV money to get there, not relying on big donations from the clubs that ultimately contribute to the success of the best league in the world, because we need that money to keep it the best and most entertaining league in the world.

If the government care about the EFL clubs, subsidise their highlights to get them on Bbc2 on a Sunday afternoon or something, not a pixelated Quest at midnight.

Last edited:
I read today that the PL will threaten to kick out plop and manure from the CL if they carry on with their plan.

On the radio last night it was reported that The FA had stated it is they who are given the European places from UEFA and they allocate them to the clubs who qualify. A clear threat that if Premier clubs continue with this they may find themselves without European football next season (Although in Arsenals and Man Utd's case that is highly probable anyway through their football!)

On the above, I only meant your league 1 or 2 team would be on the box say a couple of times per season max, so if I’m understanding you correctly and you’re saying people might choose to watch all games on the box - it shouldn’t in theory stop the real fans going to games.

It certainly isn’t lucrative for Sky to invest in the lower leagues, and our EPL subsidies would have to pay for it. It would be a couple of years to help raise the profile of the EFL, and may just help the local economy a little. If the EFL wants to make more money it’s going to take some entrepreneurship and ultimately TV money to get there, not relying on big donations from the clubs that ultimately contribute to the success of the best league in the world, because we need that money to keep it the best and most entertaining league in the world.

If the government care about the EFL clubs, subsidise their highlights to get them on Bbc2 on a Sunday afternoon or something, not a pixelated Quest at midnight.
Sorry mate, yes that is what I thought you meant televising their games on a red button type platform.
Sorry.

Well done Purslow for Voting against it.
I wouldn’t say “ well done” to him for voting against something completely against the clubs interests as that’s what he gets paid to do. This plan was a total disgrace and voting against it was the least he could do, at least he did criticise it in public too.

I reckon the reason why liverplop and manure backed down is due to the fact that starting up a European league in times of Covid would be virtually impossible.

Just wait for when it ends. I have no doubt that they will try again.

Yup - nothing's gonna stop them floating this sh*tshow on the market - they'll be back ...