Major PL/FL Shake Up? | Page 10 | Vital Football

Major PL/FL Shake Up?

ITV news reporting premier league clubs have voted against Liverpool and Man Utd’s proposal for a £250m bailout for the football league...

A little bit more complicated than that, ITV.

ITV can't do "complicated" with their audience mate.

I know mate, I’m a viewer. But talk about telling half the story... you’d be surprised how many plastics “haven’t read much about it” and only go off the headlines. I bet sky weren't summing it up like that

Were they really so arrogant that they thought they were too big to be denied fucking wankers and they want to boot that Parry right out the game fucking prick.

I don't agree with it but I think it was simply a wish list. This isn't dead, it'll manifest in another way and it'll be much more tempting for some clubs. This was probably just the teaser, see how clubs react and what it would take to flip them.

They could easily go from a 6 club closed shop to an 8 to 10 club closed shop. Thats a lot of momentum, think about if they flip us and Everton with our history. Then Newcastle and West Ham with their length of time in the EPL. Suddenly then only need 4 more teams. Who do they work then? Leeds? Leicester? Wolves? Southampton. Bam, 14 teams and the 14 most likely to vote this through IMO.

Does anyone else think that Clarke bloke who resigned has blew the whistle on this before they have had chance
I don't agree with it but I think it was simply a wish list. This isn't dead, it'll manifest in another way and it'll be much more tempting for some clubs. This was probably just the teaser, see how clubs react and what it would take to flip them.

They could easily go from a 6 club closed shop to an 8 to 10 club closed shop. Thats a lot of momentum, think about if they flip us and Everton with our history. Then Newcastle and West Ham with their length of time in the EPL. Suddenly then only need 4 more teams. Who do they work then? Leeds? Leicester? Wolves? Southampton. Bam, 14 teams and the 14 most likely to vote this through IMO.
I think maybe this Clarke bloke or someone has seen this and released into the public domain before they could put the sheeps clothing on it and they have been caught with their trousers down.

But flip us for what? We’re not going to sign up to a new league, where we have to work on getting the brand and the business up to scratch to agree to a 25% poorer deal. We know and underhand the real objectives and it isn’t to help us out. It’s to make the rich stay rich, I get the risk if we say no but Southampton is Burnley say yes and they enter a new top flight but in that instance they are mugs so the lower EPL clubs need to stick together.

The simple solution to me, is a few concessions for the top clubs in terms of letting them tour Asia pre season and removing them from the league cup or something.

I do think there’s a real conversation the league needs to have with the top 2 on their medium terms ambitions for a European league. If they’re serious about it, we need to plan for it as clubs like us will need to halve our operating expenses I.e. player wages. I’m quite happy to see a much poorer Villa (although ironically more profitable), in an English league pushing for the title, and not being part of a European wide league that takes the “Big 6” away. I’d love it actually, would be great!

Last edited:
Personally I would just kick them out of the league anyway. Do you think we would lose sleep not having to play Man U and Liverpool? Nope. The European cups are on BT Sport now. I have BT Sport and I never watch it. I would give them an open invitation to f*ck off to a Euro super league if they want, see how that works out for them.

Lets not forget 5 years ago Liverpool had won nothing for decades. Man Utd have a strong possibility of never winning a cup again. And they want to give up the League Cup? Cheeky bastards.

Is it just coincidence, or am I sinking into conspiracy theory land but, three of the so called big six, got handsomely beat.

Liverpool 7-2, Aston Villa.
Man Utd 1-6, Tottenham Hotspur.
Man City 2-5, Leicester City.

The idea of this project couldn't be because they are scared their run at the top is coming to an end, could it.

Is it just coincidence, or am I sinking into conspiracy theory land but, three of the so called big six, got handsomely beat.

The idea of this project couldn't be because they are scared their run at the top is coming to an end, could it.

That's exactly what this is about.

Errr.................Aston Villa 7!!!

Donkey :lol:

But flip us for what? We’re not going to sign up to a new league, where we have to work on getting the brand and the business up to scratch to agree to a 25% poorer deal. We know and underhand the real objectives and it isn’t to help us out. It’s to make the rich stay rich, I get the risk if we say no but Southampton is Burnley say yes and they enter a new top flight but in that instance they are mugs so the lower EPL clubs need to stick together.

I don't disagree with any of that but this is Rev. 18 and essentially Rev. 1 for the rest of the league. When you enter a negotiation it is isnt surprising to see it stacked completely one way. Now the rest of the league should not entertain it one bit. The transparency around what they really want should make everyone balk. In all honesty, I am fully with anyone who would back kicking them out of the league altogether. IMO they have put the integrity of the league in the spotlight and IMO is grounds for expulsion.

What I am trying to get at is for us to still be a little wary of our owners. Purslow is a banker at the end of the day and his grand plans sound great but what's going to really line his pockets? That is really what I was saying. We don't know what sort of carrots they might offer. The fans are the only people who can maintain the integrity of the sport. This isnt just going to go away.

I like Martin Samuel's articles. Some gems in today's column.
"It was his concern for the little guys, apparently, that drove John Henry towards a proposal that would divert more money to the EFL- although not necessarily more of his, once the many strings were attached- and all he wanted in return was to seize control of every element of English football, across four divisions, in perpetuity.
If he didn't get this, Henry was so anxious for the wellbeing of the pyramid that he was going to lead his club, and several others, away from it to form a European Super League, taking large swathes of revenue with them.
Because they care."

There's more of this stuff in his column. Well worth a read.