Lovells tactics | Page 2 | Vital Football

Lovells tactics

On what evidence would our youngsters surpass the ability of our current set of regulars if only they were picked ahead of them?

The evidence can only manifest if we play our best three or four youngsters. Playing them must be on the basis of looking at skill set and potential. If you`re happy that the majority of, or all of, the current first team is so high that our better young guys cannot surpass it, then fine, you carry on.

Potential is there for all to see. We have some talented young players who will get better; we have some average senior professionals who, with respect, are unlikely to get much better.

One thing for sure, do nothing and we continue on the slippery slide. I`ts disappointing that some have so little faith in the ability, commitment and potential of our young guys.

So there is no evidence to show that the current crop of youths have the talent to go beyond the talents of the current first teamers? Aside from Oldaker who we've seen enough of then who are these other three to four players?

Mbo who except for a 2 minute cameo to waste time has only been loaned out to clubs at a level suggesting he isn't near the first team?

Or do you mean people like Simpson, Chapman or Tucker who have only represented the club in the Premier League U23 trophy?

Bradley Stephenson has played a few more minutes admittedly.

The basis of your argument is that we might as well play them.as they cannot be any worse.

For the record, on an individual by individual basis I think most of our squad is good enough and the issue is more down to the way Lovell makes of those players and the way we are set up.

I don`t know what sort of "evidence" you are on about Baghdad. If I had evidence I`d be down at the bookies. As I said, any evidence will have to manifest, that can`t happen until we play the young guys regularly. I just have faith in our youngsters (I`d already specified our top 3 or 4 btw !), see the potential in them and believe that they are good enough to be in the team, get better and overtake some of what we have ; you do not. That`s fair enough, we`ll have to agree to disagree. Happy watching.

There`s little point in having academies/youth set-ups unless there is a willingness to play the best of the crop.

I'm with Lancs on this one. A youngster can't be as bad as some of the performances of Byrne and Reilly, they make huge mistakes week in week out. Zak had a very poor game yesterday and just didn't mark Cook close enough. Holy very poor
Whether a team wins or not should not necessarily guarantee a starting place in some instances for the next match. We've had some howlers and yet won. However team selection should be dictated by who we play and how we have to set up. A 3-5-2 should work but our midfield simply are just not good enough to produce week in week out. We have also got to factor in Parrot to the equation when he returns. Hes a decent player but just doesn't track back. Byrne is a real liability for me at the moment and should be rested

Any thoughts on what Parkers role was yesterday ? I assumed he'd be the central striker but he seemed to wander off all over the place. Maybe that's why he didn't appear for the second half.

Any thoughts on what Parkers role was yesterday ? I assumed he'd be the central striker but he seemed to wander off all over the place. Maybe that's why he didn't appear for the second half.
I have some sympathy for the front two yesterday they were chasing lost causes, I think for probably the last two or three home matches Cardiff aside we’ve not had an attempt at goal in the first 45 mins

I don`t know what sort of "evidence" you are on about Baghdad. If I had evidence I`d be down at the bookies. As I said, any evidence will have to manifest, that can`t happen until we play the young guys regularly. I just have faith in our youngsters (I`d already specified our top 3 or 4 btw !), see the potential in them and believe that they are good enough to be in the team, get better and overtake some of what we have ; you do not. That`s fair enough, we`ll have to agree to disagree. Happy watching.

There`s little point in having academies/youth set-ups unless there is a willingness to play the best of the crop.

Its true oldaker cannot play defensive mid on his own thats why he was dropped or withdrawn. Its because the diamond is poor, we either need to play two centre mid or a three with oldaker as one of them.
We planned to go with pace this season so we need to go back to it with at least two of Hanlon, List, Cook, Mbo starting.

Away our style picks up enough points. Home games need to be all out attack from the first second, we may not win any more points than with the current style but at least it would be more enjoyable.

Some people need to watch performances without their hate glasses on lol. Ogilvie is not as bad as some say and Byrne does more than his fair share so he will make the odd mistake.

So if not Ogilvie or Byrne then who do we blame now that Wilkinson has officially left the club?

I blame their teachers at school. In my day u came out of education with a determination to work hard, listen and follow instructions. Nowadays footballers don't like to be told what to do, don't put in the effort and seem completely uninterested. Did anyone else notice holy on his phone while the ball was up the other end.

I blame their teachers at school. In my day u came out of education with a determination to work hard, listen and follow instructions. Nowadays footballers don't like to be told what to do, don't put in the effort and seem completely uninterested. Did anyone else notice holy on his phone while the ball was up the other end.
Nice one Pledge. As it happens I'm teaching "how to stay on your phone permanently" first thing tomorrow. There are some wonderful graduates of mine who sit on the exercise machines at my gym texting all day so other people can't use them.

We've managed to teach youngsters all their bad habits over the years since you left school.

It's a shame people like you didn't take up teaching, you could have prevented all this.

:-)

Ha ha wouldn't have the patience to be a teacher. Hope u teach your ability to have a sense of humour to your students, they will need it in the world today.

I toughen them up by forcing them to watch highlights of the Gills when we win. Fortunately for them that is a rarity as we know.

Without a sense of humour all round I'd have cracked up completely, long ago.

The big perk is that I can unleash all my appalling jokes on them and rinse the plastic Prem "supporters"

Is it watching the gills nowadays instead of the cane or detention, how times have changed. Teachers used to be able to throw any item within reach at an unruly pupil . Anyway Gills 58 u should be in bed by now , u have school tomorrow.

Is it watching the gills nowadays instead of the cane or detention, how times have changed. Teachers used to be able to throw any item within reach at an unruly pupil . Anyway Gills 58 u should be in bed by now , u have school tomorrow.

Gills 58 is whooshing you over the forcing his students to watch Gillingham highlights. I have on good authority that such a punishment is against the Geneva Convention.

Last edited:
I don’t dispute that, my concern is that it is a result of the way Lovell sets us up, teams come here close us down and we have very few options when in possession as a result players just lump it long. This is why I question his tactics because I don’t see any adaption in our play.

I can see what you’re saying but I think the hoofball is more to do with the mentality of the players. This is why we often come out better in the second half (the Cardiff game a prime example), there was no change in tactics to my mind but the players suddenly started to get the ball down and play as opposed to what we saw first half. Same against Wycombe and a few other games this season.

It is extremely worrying if players aren't carrying out the manager's instructions. However it's also worrying that SL doesn't seem to be able to stop this happening. Certainly it's more easy with a larger squad where uncooperative players can just be ignored until they toe the line, but after the early part of the season when many players were out injured he's had many more options.

Other posters have commented on the lack of opportunity being given to the younger players. Surely if your nominally preferred first choice players aren't doing what they're told then players who are prepared to play to the plan should be given the opportunity.