Lovells tactics | Vital Football

Lovells tactics

Gills93

Vital Squad Member
Does he have any? It’s the same every week, no movement off the ball, not enough chasing, no unselfish running to create space for others just the long hopeful punt upfield.

Doesn't matter what the tactics are on a day like today when individual errors bugger them up after twenty minutes and kill the game off straight after half time.

Doesn't matter what the tactics are on a day like today when individual errors bugger them up after twenty minutes and kill the game off straight after half time.
But it’s the same performance most weeks at home, when did we last dominate a team?

Alderman is right. So many individual errors today buggered up any game plan. The substitutions started earlier but despite Holy doing little but pick the ball out of the net we managed our first shot on target in the 76th minute.
Still, nice to see Matty Jarvis back.
We'll probably beat Swansea now!

You get days like this unfortunately. Just listened to SL's interview and he's right. The players gets nervous, the crowd get annoyed and it all sparks back and forth getting worse and worse. He sounded very hoarse, so he'd obviously been administering a bollocking to the culprits.

Let's put it behind us and look forward to the next match.

Just too many of them Alderman, the last few seasons at home seem to have lots of days like today and very few happy days.

Thank god for the away form or we would be adrift at the bottom .

Totally agree with the comments. If you leave their big striker unmarked he will score and your game plan is over. I would be interested to know who was supposed to mark him at set pieces because it was impossible to tell. Roll on next week!

Totally agree with the comments. If you leave their big striker unmarked he will score and your game plan is over. I would be interested to know who was supposed to mark him at set pieces because it was impossible to tell. Roll on next week!

Perhaps we should play with four centre backs in the next game if three centre backs aren’t able to mark a player between them.

Doesn’t matter how many are marking if the attacking player can read the cross better and jump higher and hold off any challenges.

Get Max back into the team and let`s have 4-4-2 with Oldaker back on the park. All well and good going with five at the back if the wing backs can do an effective job week in week out but, I`m afraid, we don`t have the consistency to set up that way.

SL has his job to preserve, I get that, and I can understand his transition from up and at `em to a tad more conservative. From a fan perspective, though, I`d like to see him have the confidence to move away from team-won-last-week-team-stays-the-same, to let`s keep the core but this is the best team to win.

We really must have more confidence in our better youngsters. It seems that we cannot afford to buy in quality to up-skill our line-up so surely we should be regularly playing our best 3 or 4 younger players on the basis that they will inevitably get better and surpass what we have to raise our overall skill level.

Get Max back into the team and let`s have 4-4-2 with Oldaker back on the park. All well and good going with five at the back if the wing backs can do an effective job week in week out but, I`m afraid, we don`t have the consistency to set up that way.

SL has his job to preserve, I get that, and I can understand his transition from up and at `em to a tad more conservative. From a fan perspective, though, I`d like to see him have the confidence to move away from team-won-last-week-team-stays-the-same, to let`s keep the core but this is the best team to win.

We really must have more confidence in our better youngsters. It seems that we cannot afford to buy in quality to up-skill our line-up so surely we should be regularly playing our best 3 or 4 younger players on the basis that they will inevitably get better and surpass what we have to raise our overall skill level.

Oldaker is too lightweight in midfield defensively and we would be seriously over run if we played with him and another. Since Martin and Wågstaff left we don't have any proper wingers in the squad.

If Lovell did change the team weekly and we failed to win then people will moan about how he tinkers too much and he should he playing a more settled side.

How much of the youths have you seen to believe they are up to the standard? On what evidence would our youngsters surpass the ability of our current set of regulars if only they were picked ahead of them?

Oldaker is too lightweight in midfield defensively and we would be seriously over run if we played with him and another. Since Martin and Wågstaff left we don't have any proper wingers in the squad.

Baghdad, your post suggests to me you were't there yesterday, we were seriously over run.

My main moan is that when Reilly , Byrne and Parker dont show up we really struggle. So far they have a one game wonder then go missing for the next 5 games. God knows what happened with our centre backs yesterday !

What purpose was Byrnee serving in playing about 3 yards in front of the back line? I can't believe that was SL's tactics

Baghdad, your post suggests to me you were't there yesterday, we were seriously over run.

Yes I was there yesterday.

If we struggled with 3 midfielders then how would it be improving matters by then only going with 2 central midfielders including a player with no defensive instinct and is still learning the game? Right now if you start with Oldaker then you need to play him with a least a couple of solid midfielders behind him to give him the freedom to experiment and make mistakes.

Oldaker might well be talented, but he is not consistent enough to warrant a starting spot. He had a mini run earlier this season, looked decent for the first but then I thought he looked slightly lost for the others and made mistakes. Sometimes a player's value is boosted when they aren't playing and while Oldaker undoubtedly has a good future ahead of him, Lovell should be starting him for some types of opponents but have him on the bench for others.

If Lovell did change the team weekly and we failed to win then people will moan about how he tinkers too much and he should he playing a more settled side.

How much of the youths have you seen to believe they are up to the standard? On what evidence would our youngsters surpass the ability of our current set of regulars if only they were picked ahead of them?

I don`t accept your argument Bagdad, and don`t agree that DJ is in danger of being seriously overrun. He`s a smart player who sees a quick pass, an asset any decent team needs to have in the side.

I`m not talking about wholesale changes in the team week in week out. I said keep a core. My point is that SL shouldn`t be afraid to make a change or changes, as opposed to the unimaginative tactic of letting the previous result totally dictate our team selection.

On what evidence would our youngsters surpass the ability of our current set of regulars if only they were picked ahead of them?

The evidence can only manifest if we play our best three or four youngsters. Playing them must be on the basis of looking at skill set and potential. If you`re happy that the majority of, or all of, the current first team is so high that our better young guys cannot surpass it, then fine, you carry on.

Potential is there for all to see. We have some talented young players who will get better; we have some average senior professionals who, with respect, are unlikely to get much better. We can`t afford to buy in quality, so we are left with few alternatives other than to have some faith in young skilled guys and play them. Playing them will improve them and even if that "journey" has some lumps and bumps, it would be an investment and no worse than the position we`re in at present. No good saying that we`re hovering around relegation so can`t risk playing youngsters as we`ve been in this position for years, we can`t wait forever to get the younger guys on the pitch.

One thing for sure, do nothing and we continue on the slippery slide. I`ts disappointing that some have so little faith in the ability, commitment and potential of our young guys.

Last edited:
Oldaker and Stevenson are both 20 years old now. Not youths anymore. Should be given a chance as our first team midfielders are not up to it.

Oldaker has talent and believes in it but he can linger on the ball and lose possession. His passing catches the eye but if you look more carefully he is sometimes careless and lightweight in dangerous areas. I agree with those, who would like to see him alongside a stronger performer. I'd hope that one of the two signings is just that player.

As to playing the youngsters wholesale, definitely not. Starting in a side lacking in confidence with a downbeat crowd is no way to bring them on. Careful management with game time in less pressured moments. Look at Walsall's last sub, looked very young and came on with the game won and no pressure.