Lovells tactics | Page 3 | Vital Football

Lovells tactics

It is extremely worrying if players aren't carrying out the manager's instructions. However it's also worrying that SL doesn't seem to be able to stop this happening. Certainly it's more easy with a larger squad where uncooperative players can just be ignored until they toe the line, but after the early part of the season when many players were out injured he's had many more options.

Other posters have commented on the lack of opportunity being given to the younger players. Surely if your nominally preferred first choice players aren't doing what they're told then players who are prepared to play to the plan should be given the opportunity.

I don’t think it’s that the players are being uncooperative, they just don’t have the mental fortitude collectively.

They are playing in front of under 4000 in a library. Looks like none of them would be able to play in front of a big noisy anti crowd then.

Seems like a convenient excuse to me.

Pathetic really especially as crowd is silent most of the time.

It is extremely worrying if players aren't carrying out the manager's instructions. However it's also worrying that SL doesn't seem to be able to stop this happening. Certainly it's more easy with a larger squad where uncooperative players can just be ignored until they toe the line, but after the early part of the season when many players were out injured he's had many more options.

Other posters have commented on the lack of opportunity being given to the younger players. Surely if your nominally preferred first choice players aren't doing what they're told then players who are prepared to play to the plan should be given the opportunity.

It could easily be a side effect of morale and confidence. If a player is lacking confidence then rather than short quick passing that Lovell seems to be asking, people will kick it long so ball retention is someone else's problem. If we start well then we tend to pass it well. If we start slowly or concede a soft goal then the confidence goes and we start to go long all the ti

They are playing in front of under 4000 in a library. Looks like none of them would be able to play in front of a big noisy anti crowd then.

Seems like a convenient excuse to me.

Pathetic really especially as crowd is silent most of the time.

Don’t think it’s about big noisy crowds. We’ve done okay at Portsmouth for example last two seasons. Getting groans and personal insults from your own ‘supporters’ must be hard to take though - but we’re not unique in that respect and other teams seem to cope better than we do.

Unfortunately we’re in danger of getting into a vicious circle of poor performance; moan; worse performance; more moaning.

Don’t think it’s about big noisy crowds. We’ve done okay at Portsmouth for example last two seasons. Getting groans and personal insults from your own ‘supporters’ must be hard to take though - but we’re not unique in that respect and other teams seem to cope better than we do.

Unfortunately we’re in danger of getting into a vicious circle of poor performance; moan; worse performance; more moaning.

If we were talking about untried youngsters then I might get it but the more experienced players like Byrne, Zakuani, etc. should be able to rise above it. Its hardly a baying mob at Gills is it. This lot are lucky they aren't players at Millwall or Sunderland. They might then truly experience the wrath of supporters who are unhappy with watching another insipid home performance.

It is a convenient excuse for them to hide behind though. " I lump it forward because there are twenty people in the Rainham end who might tut loudly if I give it away".

The best caller last night was the once who said there is an air of total resignation throughout the whole club. That's nailed it. We should be absolutely furious at that Walsall performance but instead people starting wandering home with 20 minutes to go just saying "oh well another shit home performance, see you at the Accrington game".

Nibbles is spot on with his comment "Unfortunately we’re in danger of getting into a vicious circle of poor performance; moan; worse performance; more moaning.". That cycle is linked to lower quality players season on season and it will get worse unless something changes. I like Lovell but maybe a different manager wouldn't tolerate the sort of home performances we have seen over the last few seasons. Lovell has nailed his away formation and its getting better than expected results on the road. At home he has never got hold of it and saying I will keep doing the same things until the players get it is crazy. We need a different set up at home, one with creativity to break down those who just sit back. He can then make changes for the away games and go back to his preferred style - it works away from home.

If a semi comatose 4000 crowd is truly holding these players back from performing then they are in the wrong game and they certainly won't cope with going higher in the game. Every crowd moans at poor play, most a hell of a lot louder than Gills !

Once again someone suggested (in the phone in) have you considered a sports psychologist to help the players. "that's the job of me and patto" came the response. Once again an amateurish Gills response. We will do it on the cheap.

Anyway rant over. Roll on the Accy home game :-)

Yup, still keep turning up. Little changes, defensive players still run 'backwards' with the opposition, from one penalty box to the other. One minute we are potentially attacking, then within no time we are defending.

Last edited:
So back to the question, what are Lovells tactics? Another shocking performance and again no attempt to approach the game differently. Time to go Lovell