LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 10 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

Advance warning for Knotty and Plumbob. Tomorrow's pics will include those that have a railway theme to them. They do, again, though, show the massive amount of change Lincoln has gone through in the last 30 years.

I used to work for British Rail. So in your eye Merthyr and Bazzzer!

Advance warning for Knotty and Plumbob. Tomorrow's pics will include those that have a railway theme to them. They do, again, though, show the massive amount of change Lincoln has gone through in the last 30 years.
To be fair, I like trains. They allow me to get to racecourses for a good old piss-up without having to drive! If someone could make them a little cheaper I'd like them even more. I might even offer a sample of our early morning sauvignon blanc on the way 🙄

What has struck me since I started this thread is just how much Lincoln has changed in the last 30 years. The scale of the redevelopment of the city is truly mind-blowing and the level of investment in its buildings and infrastructure must mount to many millions of pounds. Today's pictures, and those of the next few days, will focus on the area to the south of Brayford Pool, where the University now is. This land used to be railway land. By the late 80s it was virtually derelict with seemingly little chance of it ever being re-developed. How wrong we all were.
20210406_163254 (2).jpg
The picture above looks north along Brayford Wharf East. No Odeon then. Instead, that area was a Sainsburys supermarket (which you can just make out to the left of the Royal William IV pub) and the National Cycle Museum.
20210406_165549 (2).jpg
The picture above looks south along Brayford Wharf East. The moorings on this side of the Brayford are no longer there. The old GC warehouse and engine shed can be seen in the distance.
20210406_164212 (2).jpg
One of the old footbridges across the Witham. Contrast that with today's footbridge over the rail line.
20210406_170851 (2).jpg
Some of the old railway buildings on the south side of the tracks. The signal box is still there, although it is no longer manned. At the time of this photo Simons Community Programme scheme was constructing the riverside walk which follows the Witham from the Brayford out of town to Boultham.
Tomorrow's pics will include the old engine shed before it was renovated.

Last edited:
What has struck me since I started this thread is just how much Lincoln has changed in the last 30 years. The scale of the redevelopment of the city is truly mind-blowing and the level of investment in its buildings and infrastructure must mount to many millions of pounds. Today's pictures, and those of the next few days, will focus on the area to the south of Brayford Pool, where the University now is. This land used to be railway land. By the late 80s it was virtually derelict with seemingly little chance of it ever being re-developed. How wrong we all were.
View attachment 47378
The picture above looks north along Brayford Wharf East. No Odeon then. Instead, that area was a Sainsburys supermarket (which you can just make out to the left of the Royal William IV pub) and the National Cycle Museum.
View attachment 47379
The picture above looks south along Brayford Wharf East. The moorings on this side of the Brayford are no longer there. The old GN warehouse and engine shed can be seen in the distance.
View attachment 47380
One of the old footbridges across the Witham. Contrast that with today's footbridge over the rail line.
View attachment 47381
Some of the old railway buildings on the south side of the tracks. The signal box is still there, although it is no longer manned. At the time of this photo Simons Community Programme scheme was constructing the riverside walk which follows the Witham from the Brayford out of town to Boultham.
Tomorrow's pics will include the old engine shed before it was renovated.

Really appreciating this thread Sigiriya. Do you have any equivalent pics to compare side by side the development that has taken place? Given the exile of some Imps, this is the Lincoln I remember most, and even though I get back every few years it would be interesting to compare the difference. Thanks again for all the pics.

Really appreciating this thread Sigiriya. Do you have any equivalent pics to compare side by side the development that has taken place? Given the exile of some Imps, this is the Lincoln I remember most, and even though I get back every few years it would be interesting to compare the difference. Thanks again for all the pics.
I don't as of yet, but am happy to take some at some time and post.

It's not just the content, but the colour-balance of the pics is very 80s. Almost a classic technicolour feel.
My dodgy photo editing! Most photos were processed by Bonus Prints. Funny to think that even they don't exist now, as far as I am aware. How things change with you hardly being aware of it.