LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 8 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

It was all shiny and new in the 1960s, and I still find it difficult to realise it's not all still there.

I used the cafe more often than I got a bus from there - it was my regular post-match port of call to have a cheese roll and cup of tea while reading the Football Echo and waiting for the train home from St Marks station.

Knowing I was a regular match-goer, occasionally someone would ask me how City had got on. Glad to say someone did after a certain Bournemouth match in 1982 and I was able to say, "We won (pause) - 9-0".

Here's another photo from me from the early 1960s. It must have seemed a long way to London on one of those:

View attachment 47243
Went to Skeggy in something similar when I was about 3 in the late 60s. Needless to say, it broke down on the way! Used to go to London from this bus station from the mid 70s to early 80s. By then the services were run by National Express buse, which were white with Lincolnshire on the side. Used to stop at Sleaford, Bourne, Peterborough and Baldock on the way down. Felt like you were never going to get to London. When you did you wished you hadn't as you ended up at the Victoria Coach Station, which was always chaotic and made St Marks look like a palace in comparison.

Went to Skeggy in something similar when I was about 3 in the late 60s. Needless to say, it broke down on the way! Used to go to London from this bus station from the mid 70s to early 80s. By then the services were run by National Express buse, which were white with Lincolnshire on the side. Used to stop at Sleaford, Bourne, Peterborough and Baldock on the way down. Felt like you were never going to get to London. When you did you wished you hadn't as you ended up at the Victoria Coach Station, which was always chaotic and made St Marks look like a palace in comparison.

Similar for me but I went in the opposite direction to Newcastle.

Little bit later posting tonight due to the weekly yoga class!

Well, I promised pubs tonight, and here is the first. The Lindum Hotel disappeared many years ago. I remember it being a fairly snug place that was one of the few that sold Batemans Beers at the time. It wasn't particularly well frequented when I went in, which was probably why its days were numbered even then. Next to it was the Broadgate Record Exchange. I got quite a few of my more obscure Heavy Rock 45s from there, including a few Black Sabbath demo discs. Next to it was the Lincoln Trophy Centre.
View attachment 47164
Next up is the equally long gone Sports Bar. It was probably one of Lincoln's first bars, as opposed to a pub, similar to what you get in Skeggy. It wasn't one of my regular haunts. It was on the High Street.
View attachment 47165
Outside Sports is one of the mobile Lincolnshire Echo sales points, now also long gone. I believe the initials of the vendor is Alan P, and I still see him occasionally, riding his bike about town. Another of the Echo vendors was Leslie B. He often used to set up his stand near the Stonebow, and was a fairly familiar figure around town.

Sports was itself established in the premises of another, and far nicer, pub called the Red Lion. I had fun New Years Eve there as a 17 year old in 1981. Great night! You can get a feel for the spaciousness of the Red Lion from the picture below.

View attachment 47166

The next picture is of a venue called La Taverna. It's hard to recognise where it is, such is the development that has gone on in the area where it used to be. Before it was the La Taverna it had also been Solomon's Palace. I think I only went in the Palace the once and I seem to recall it had a fairly rowdy reputation. Anyone like to take a guess where in Lincoln this picture was taken and what the building used to be a part of?

View attachment 47167
Thought I recognised it! Old Electric building on Brayford North, didnt realise it then became a pub before the whole area was redeveloped, quite a handsome building in a row of ugly ones then and now.

As a student I did a major project for that area.

Thought I recognised it! Old Electric building on Brayford North, didnt realise it then became a pub before the whole area was redeveloped, quite a handsome building in a row of ugly ones then and now.

Wasn't the Hovis mill a bit further on, to the corner?

Good lord, did he? How did that happen?
His ship hit some rocks in the St Lawrence River in Canada. All the sailors got off the ship pretty prompt. Rather than sink, though, it stuck fast on the rocks, so sounds more dramatic than it turned out to be. They then got paid danger money for taking the cargo off the ship. Being canny lads, once they realised the ship was in no immediate danger of sinking they took as long as possible to unload it!

wow I did not know it look like that my earliest recollection of that area is the office block the old boarded up pub and the light engineering place that had a Briggs and Stratton sign that would be mid to late 1980s. The office block is now flats!
More pics of the Brayford will follow, but not until I've had a dip in the hot tub whilst sipping on a bottle of Champers and enjoying the glorious Spring sunshine!

Whether you thought of Brayford wharf as a rat run, or as a thoroughfare, an endless source of amusement was Brayford Head bridge which lasted (probably) until barge traffic ceased in the 1970s or when Wigford Way opened.. When it had to be opened for a boat, the man who lived in the little hut had to wind a handle to turn the bridge.

Brayford head4.jpg

The first photo below shows a closer view of the old electricity works back in the late 1980s. The following views shows buildings that used to occupy Brayford Wharf North between there and Lucy Tower Street. The final views is from Brayford Wharf East looking across to Brayford Wharf North. Apart from Sam Scorers flying wing the whole area has been almost completely transformed. You can't even moor boats on Brayford Wharf East now as this picture shows you could do, although occasionally there is a tourist boat moored up there.
20210404_124923 (2).jpg20210404_124523 (2).jpg20210404_124720 (2).jpg20210404_125039 (2).jpg20210404_125234 (2).jpg

The first photo below shows a closer view of the old electricity works back in the late 1980s. The following views shows buildings that used to occupy Brayford Wharf North between there and Lucy Tower Street. The final views is from Brayford Wharf East looking across to Brayford Wharf North. Apart from Sam Scorers flying wing the whole area has been almost completely transformed. You can't even moor boats on Brayford Wharf East now as this picture shows you could do, although occasionally there is a tourist boat moored up there.
View attachment 47280View attachment 47281View attachment 47284View attachment 47285View attachment 47286

that’s the view I remember. The roof is listed the other example being the ex little chef on the a1 markham moor.