LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 12 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

The period in question (80s/90s) is that interim period as the old industrial Lincoln was in decline and eventually swept away before the renaissance of recent years. So it did look very tatty in places especially derelict factories and budleia covered ex-railway land.

The period in question (80s/90s) is that interim period as the old industrial Lincoln was in decline and eventually swept away before the renaissance of recent years. So it did look very tatty in places especially derelict factories and budleia covered ex-railway land.

Precisely this. Along with no cinema, no place to watch a gig and very, very little in the way of career opportunities (no BBC here to make tea at..) I couldn't get out of the place quickly enough...

Today's pics are of the Great Central Warehouse, which is now the Uni Library. At the time the pictures were taken it was occupied by Harcros, a builders merchant. It would have been easy to have demolished this building and the old engine shed when all this area was redeveloped. Credit to the Uni for having the vision to retain these buildings as a nod to its past and in so doing retain some of the character and history of this part of Lincoln.
20210406_164358 (2).jpg20210406_164451 (2).jpg20210406_170420 (2).jpg20210406_170516 (2).jpg20210406_170735 (1).jpg

Precisely this. Along with no cinema, no place to watch a gig and very, very little in the way of career opportunities (no BBC here to make tea at..) I couldn't get out of the place quickly enough...

We left in 1971 after I got a job in Sheffield. Unemployment in Lincoln then was twice the national average due to all the mergers/closures.

I think the university has made Lincoln.

the steep hill, the castle and cathedral have always been there but not many people knew.

the university stirred the genetic pot, created a property boom which stimulated developed and renovation and brought fresh money to the city.

I think the university has made Lincoln.

the steep hill, the castle and cathedral have always been there but not many people knew.

the university stirred the genetic pot, created a property boom which stimulated developed and renovation and brought fresh money to the city.

Undoubtedly. For a small city, it's economic impact has been huge. It has actually scaled its way up the rankings, as well (if that matters). It opened the first new engineering school in England for 50 years and has recently opened a medical school, as well, I think.

Going for STEM helps those rankings, I imagine, but it's arguably what we need. I have no problem with "soft" degrees, but a few more engineers and doctors won't go amiss.

Undoubtedly. For a small city, it's economic impact has been huge. It has actually scaled its way up the rankings, as well (if that matters). It opened the first new engineering school in England for 50 years and has recently opened a medical school, as well, I think.

Going for STEM helps those rankings, I imagine, but it's arguably what we need. I have no problem with "soft" degrees, but a few more engineers and doctors won't go amiss.

The university itself has also improved as it was one of the worst when it first opened!

The university itself has also improved as it was one of the worst when it first opened!

When I worked there, it improved from about 60 in the rankings to about 40 (out of around 120). I think it's even higher now. As I say, if the rankings really reflect much at all in terms of "value".

When I worked there, it improved from about 60 in the rankings to about 40 (out of around 120). I think it's even higher now. As I say, if the rankings really reflect much at all in terms of "value".

indeed in less then 25 years they have really improved.