League One Transfers: January 2021 | Page 4 | Vital Football

League One Transfers: January 2021

No points scoring here, I agree with you, just explaining why, which I am sure you are aware of anyway, Though of course we can now repel the Bosman rulling!

Forget any idea of that. We are not going to pass a law that says 'restrictive laws preventing someone from working should no longer be allowed in a Free Market Sovereign Country's economy'

Forget any idea of that. We are not going to pass a law that says 'restrictive laws preventing someone from working should no longer be allowed in a Free Market Sovereign Country's economy'
But we have points scoring to determine freedom (restriction) of movement incoming and of trade incoming. Confusing isn’t it.

Meanwhile, back in League One...

Swindon Town: In: 1 Out: 1
Out:
Goalkeeper: Matej Kovar, 20 (loan from Manchester United ended)

further to a post on another thread regarding the over21 rule, here’s a quick tot-up (using fingers rather than abacus) of over21s in the squads of the potential january window promotion gamblers:
portsmouth 22
ipswich 22
sunderland 21
charlton 20 (includes the new danishman)

hull 18
posh 18
(fleetwood 20; crewe 18; accrington 17; doncaster 14)

ironic really that 4 of the clubs with spending potential, appear to have little wiggle room to spend it, unless they bring in under21s, or offload a few over21s first. and, being big clubs, the players they want to offload may well be on reasonably big money. it might be difficult to find a club that will take them/afford them. or the player might not be keen to be offloaded in the first place. i wonder if some contracts may need to be paid up to create space for squad improvements?

having big money available to bring in established players might not be such a big factor this time around in L1. meanwhile we integrate our £4m under21, who has most likely costing us very little - another trump card for us?

on the horizon, is there also the issue that this is a new rule that has not yet been tested/broken. are the penalties going to be stiff enough to make those desperate for promotion stick to the rule? does the rule have exemptions? will they find a way to wriggle out of it?

topoftheleague+lovingit+uti.

scotimp post: #30
https://www.transfermarkt.com

For years many have moaned about cheap foreign imports preventing young home grown talent from flourishing. Now we have a points system which seems to have already existed for players outside the EU it is wrong and the fault of Brexit that cheap foreign imports are not going to get in. I am confused.
You are right that cheap foreign imports from Europe like Lewis Montsma won't be able to qualify in terms of the new points system but this system is completely different from the system that previously existed. You will just see foreign players from different countries now being eligible to enter whereas they weren't previously. An article I read recently for instance highlighted how players in the Venezuela U20 team would be an area worth targeting for scouts.

For years many have moaned about cheap foreign imports preventing young home grown talent from flourishing. Now we have a points system which seems to have already existed for players outside the EU it is wrong and the fault of Brexit that cheap foreign imports are not going to get in. I am confused.

The discussion grew out of the fact that from 1st January 2021 a player like Lewis Montsma would no longer be available to Lincoln City (neither would Joan Luque or Bruno Andrade - the latter would have been unlikely to qualify for QPR's Academy at 13).

The point system itself has nothing to do with Brexit. However, the application of the points system to European players is the direct result of Brexit. The points system is biased towards the large clubs, who are the ones best placed use it to import talent from outside of the UK (especially pay the wages required to attract them). This disadvantages smaller clubs (e.g. Lincoln) who now have a smaller pool of potential players available to them and increases the divide between the top 30 clubs and the rest.

Also, (to my mind at least) 'cheap foreign imports' have not prevented young home grown talent from flourishing. Whether one likes it or not, the Premiership now attracts the some of the best footballers from around the world and most of those are expensive. There is an argument that this has dragged up standards across the rest of football. Certainly, the number of young players who now have the opportunity to learn the game in Academies is greater than it has ever been and I suspect that, overall, their technical ability is greater than their predecessors. There are also more full-time professional teams playing the UK than ever before (down to step 5 and even 6) and more professional players (some of whom hardly seem make any appearances).

However, the Premiership clubs load their Academies with the cream of talent from abroad (using the point system) and release those that don't make the grade. We then see these either disappear from the game, or re-appear further down the pyramid.

The whole system is dysfunctional, except that it is designed to support the Premiership as the premium football league in the World. The changes that have resulted from Brexit (MAY) exacerbate the divide between the Premiership and the rest of UK football, since it restricts the pool of players available the smaller clubs.

You are right that cheap foreign imports from Europe like Lewis Montsma won't be able to qualify in terms of the new points system but this system is completely different from the system that previously existed. You will just see foreign players from different countries now being eligible to enter whereas they weren't previously. An article I read recently for instance highlighted how players in the Venezuela U20 team would be an area worth targeting for scouts.
Are there no limits to how far this club will go these days in our quest for World domination - providing we don’t spend heaps 😁

The discussion grew out of the fact that from 1st January 2021 a player like Lewis Montsma would no longer be available to Lincoln City (neither would Joan Luque or Bruno Andrade - the latter would have been unlikely to qualify for QPR's Academy at 13).

The point system itself has nothing to do with Brexit. However, the application of the points system to European players is the direct result of Brexit. The points system is biased towards the large clubs, who are the ones best placed use it to import talent from outside of the UK (especially pay the wages required to attract them). This disadvantages smaller clubs (e.g. Lincoln) who now have a smaller pool of potential players available to them and increases the divide between the top 30 clubs and the rest.

Also, (to my mind at least) 'cheap foreign imports' have not prevented young home grown talent from flourishing. Whether one likes it or not, the Premiership now attracts the some of the best footballers from around the world and most of those are expensive. There is an argument that this has dragged up standards across the rest of football. Certainly, the number of young players who now have the opportunity to learn the game in Academies is greater than it has ever been and I suspect that, overall, their technical ability is greater than their predecessors. There are also more full-time professional teams playing the UK than ever before (down to step 5 and even 6) and more professional players (some of whom hardly seem make any appearances).

However, the Premiership clubs load their Academies with the cream of talent from abroad (using the point system) and release those that don't make the grade. We then see these either disappear from the game, or re-appear further down the pyramid.

The whole system is dysfunctional, except that it is designed to support the Premiership as the premium football league in the World. The changes that have resulted from Brexit (MAY) exacerbate the divide between the Premiership and the rest of UK football, since it restricts the pool of players available the smaller clubs.
You may be correct but this is also a good time to re-examine why so many British youngsters are cast aside (I have posted about this elsewhere so won't repeat) and come up with a smarter model including investing in our coaches and coaching opportunities.

Perhaps the ease with which PL clubs have been able to plunder youngsters at a very young age from abroad is a big part of the problem and under tighter rules we may see more opportunities and perseverance for UK coaches and young players.

Doncaster Rovers: In: 1 Out: 0
In:
Goalkeeper: Ellery Balcombe, 21 (on loan from Brentford to the end of the season)

Gillingham: In: 0 Out: 1
Out:
Midfielder: Josh Eccles, 20 (loan from Coventry City ended)

Milton Keynes Dons: In: 0 Out: 1
Out:
Striker: Carlton Morris, 25 (loan from Norwich City ended)

...This disadvantages smaller clubs (e.g. Lincoln) who now have a smaller pool of potential players available to them and increases the divide between the top 30 clubs and the rest.

Only in very exceptional circumstances have clubs below the Championship signed players from abroad as they don't have the scouting resources, so the majority of the football league isn't disadvantaged in any meaningful way.

It will hurt Championship clubs most of all. Birmingham signed a player from my other club, Elche, during the summer - an excellent footballer who really should be playing in La Liga this season. Under the new rules he would not have gained enough points to play in England despite being one of Birmingham's best players this year.

Only in very exceptional circumstances have clubs below the Championship signed players from abroad as they don't have the scouting resources, so the majority of the football league isn't disadvantaged in any meaningful way..

There are hundreds of Europeans who have legitimately come over the UK, had trials, been signed and played for years in the lower leagues and non-league. There was no need to scout them abroad as they came over as part of freedom of movement and work. As I mentioned, Luque and Andrade are two examples in Lincoln's recent past. There were also a host of French players at Lincoln as and just after we were relegated to non-league.

There are hundreds of Europeans who have legitimately come over the UK, had trials, been signed and played for years in the lower leagues and non-league. There was no need to scout them abroad as they came over as part of freedom of movement and work. As I mentioned, Luque and Andrade are two examples in Lincoln's recent past. There were also a host of French players at Lincoln as and just after we were relegated to non-league.

Andrade is a bad example as he was a small child when he came to England with his family.

There are people of 270 different nationalities living in London alone, more than 240 of those nationalities are non EU, yet they live in the UK. The loss of freedom of movement is largely in people's minds, it's not going to have any serious affect on immigration.

As I said before, it doesn't affect things in any meaningful way. Which players, signed directly from abroad, or even from other English clubs who'd signed them, have made a significant impact at Lincoln - or similar clubs?

Doncaster Rovers: In: 2 Out: 0
In:
Winger: Elliot Simoes, 21 (on loan from Barnsley to the end of the season)

Swindon Town: In: 2 Out: 1
In:
Goalkeeper: Mark Travers, 21 (on loan from AFC Bournemouth to the end of the season)