League One Transfers: January 2021 | Page 6 | Vital Football

League One Transfers: January 2021

Striker Carlton Morris, who was recalled by Norwich from his loan at MK Dons yesterday, has been sold to Barnsley.

Morris made an astonishing 179 appearances on loan to other clubs while at Norwich, and only 1 for his own club.
Sean Raggett must have clocked up a few

The loss of Carlton Morris is a blow to MK Dons, but rumours suggest that Norwich are set to supply a replacement (Sebastian Soto, who is currently on loan to an American club).
according to this, Soto is an american currently on loan in the netherlands. the level montsma came from. also norwich had an amazing TWENTY players out on loan up until the morris recall.
which raises another question... under the post-brexit pants-points system can players still be loaned into (and out of) europe???
https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2021/january/loan-round-up-soto-scores-in-convincing-telstar-win/

according to this, Soto is an american currently on loan in the netherlands. the level montsma came from. also norwich had an amazing TWENTY players out on loan up until the morris recall.
which raises another question... under the post-brexit pants-points system can players still be loaned into (and out of) europe???
https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2021/january/loan-round-up-soto-scores-in-convincing-telstar-win/

An interesting snapshot of who Norwich have and where,

Players who weren’t included in matchday squads: Philip Heise (Karlsruher SC), Carlton Morris/Louis Thompson (MK Dons), Akin Famewo (Charlton Athletic), Jordan Thomas (Leyton Orient)

Players whose teams didn’t play last week: Timm Klose (FC Basel), Archie Mair/Simon Power (King’s Lynn Town), Danel Sinani/Melvin Sitti (Waasland-Beveren), Rocky Bushiri (KV Mechelen), Louis Lomas (Slough Town), Harry Pitcher (Wroxham), Joe Rose (Bury Town)

4 abroad, 5 local/minor-league and 4 in League One or below.

[QUOTE="nlondonimp, post: 2630901, member: 9774"which raises another question... under the post-brexit pants-points system can players still be loaned into (and out of) europe???[/QUOTE]

I don't have a full answer, but the following is interesting. In particular, the fact that "individual EU countries have different rules for non-EU players",

GOING OUT
(Jadon) Sancho and (Jude) Bellingham both decided to join Borussia Dortmund aged 17 but the new rules prevent any Under 18s making cross-border moves.

And individual EU countries have different rules for non-EU players.

Spain limits the number to three in any matchday squad. And it will be more difficult for managers and coaches to work abroad.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-brexit-impacts-transfer-market-23246689

For those interested, here is an article on the new rules and potential effects of the system for getting work permits to play football in the UK from 1st January 2021,

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020...e-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/
this link in the article you posted, spells out the possible changes to the loan market. which appears to be worldwide/fifa-led, rather than brexit-led. assuming the proposal went through.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51665904

For those interested, here is an article on the new rules and potential effects of the system for getting work permits to play football in the UK from 1st January 2021,

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020...e-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/
also from this link
"
Clubs will now need to apply for a governing body endorsement for a work permit for pretty much any overseas player who doesn’t hold a British passport, so the requirements and processes have been changed.
"
so if we want to scout abroad to find another lower league "nobody" like montsma, the best way from now is to be checking the passport office first. and looking for dual-nationality.

this link in the article you posted, spells out the possible changes to the loan market. which appears to be worldwide/fifa-led, rather than brexit-led. assuming the proposal went through.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51665904

The link I posted talks about BOTH the changes due to Brexit and the changes that have come in from FIFA, as the article states,

These will replace existing work permit recommendation processes, as English clubs will not be able to sign players from the European Union (EU) in the same way they were able to before Brexit.

There are two sets of changes that have come into effect at the same time. The FIFA ones don't have anything to do with Brexit, but the recommended changes from the UK take both into account and (to my mind at least) set up a system that supports the Premiership Elite, but do nothing to recognise, let alone support, lower league clubs.

The link I posted talks about BOTH the changes due to Brexit and the changes that have come in from FIFA, as the article states,

These will replace existing work permit recommendation processes, as English clubs will not be able to sign players from the European Union (EU) in the same way they were able to before Brexit.

There are two sets of changes that have come into effect at the same time. The FIFA ones don't have anything to do with Brexit, but the recommended changes from the UK take both into account and (to my mind at least) set up a system that supports the Premiership Elite, but do nothing to recognise, let alone support, lower league clubs.
my post re: fifa was specifically about the loan market. which fifa are changing.

...a system that supports the Premiership Elite, but do nothing to recognise, let alone support, lower league clubs.

I need to ask again as I don't think you answered it before (I may be wrong) but how does this affect lower league clubs (below the Championship) in any meaningful or significant way?

also from this link
"
Clubs will now need to apply for a governing body endorsement for a work permit for pretty much any overseas player who doesn’t hold a British passport, so the requirements and processes have been changed.
"
so if we want to scout abroad to find another lower league "nobody" like montsma, the best way from now is to be checking the passport office first. and looking for dual-nationality.

Glad we’ve got rid of all that needless red tape.

my post re: fifa was specifically about the loan market. which fifa are changing.

The post of mine with the link you quoted wasn't a direct response to your question, it simply added detail to the discussion for anyone who was interested.

My direct response to your question about loans began, "I don't have a full answer ..." I think the following catch-all statement covers it though - 'Over-18s would be subject to the rules applying to non-EU players in whichever EU country they were seeking to move to' (while this doesn't specifically answer the question about loans, I don't see why it would be different for loans or permanent moves - both involve working abroad. Most of the comment refers to immigration, not emigration, so information is sparse.

In regard to the demarcation of Brexit vs. other changes; it is complicated because, while some of the rule changes from the football authorities are not a direct consequence of Brexit, Brexit is clearly a catalyst for others. I don't think it is completely settled yet (at least part of the new scheme is only intended to be in place for the January 2021 transfer window. A full review of the endorsement process will be undertaken ahead of the summer transfer window).

I need to ask again as I don't think you answered it before (I may be wrong) but how does this affect lower league clubs (below the Championship) in any meaningful or significant way?

To me, the most obvious affects are a reduction in the quality of players available and subsequent reduction in the overall quality of football in the lower leagues. This in turn will reduce the total number of players of a high enough quality to be desired by top clubs and reduce sell-on revenues. There will also be an increasing divide between the top of the football pyramid and the rest. These are overall affects, extrapolated over 70-120 clubs in tiers 3, 4, 5 and 6. The affects on individual clubs will vary hugely.

It is true that in Leagues One, Two and below, the majority of players are UK or Eire nationals and that their status will not change. It is also the case that most of those who are not, but are currently working here, should be able to apply for settled status and continue their profession, so the immediate consequences in February 2021 should be small.

However, there are a significant minority of EU nationals playing at this level and the flow of these will largely stop. What will also stop are the families of EU citizens who come to the UK and whose children become naturalised UK citizens and appear in the records as such, not as EU nationals (which masks the influence of overall EU immigration on the number of players here as a result of free movement).

Furthermore, only Premiership and EFL teams are now be able to recruit from abroad; non-League clubs will not be able to sponsor players to work in the UK (see below for a note on this and the fact that sponsorship is either for 6 years or 12 months - I am not sure how that will fit into club's recruitment strategy).

So over time, the pool of players available to lower league clubs will decrease and so will the overall quality of players (all other things being equal). We must remember that all of the EU players we have here get into teams on merit. There are lots of UK and Eire players out there, but clubs make the judgement that they are not as good as the EU players that they have access to. The same is true of those children from EU backgrounds that enter the game through academies. Restricting the pool of players to UK and Eire only, will not suddenly make those players better than they were.

There will, of course, still be very good UK and Eire players that are good enough to ultimately be recruited by clubs higher up the pyramid, but logic dictates that if the overall pool of quality players is reduced, then the total number of opportunities to sell-on these players will also be reduced, which in turn reduces the flow of money into the lower leagues from transfers.

Since the top clubs' ability to recruit top players from abroad will be largely unchanged, the upshot of this is that the gap between the top 40 clubs and everyone else will only grow.

Caveat: The drivers I have outlined above will not happen in isolation. Clubs will want to undertake mitigating action, or may be those that feel that the changing playing field will not affect them. There will also be other avenues that open up. As Clive has pointed out, the points system takes into account appearances in the South American Continent club competitions, so players from clubs in South America that regularly qualify for the Copa Libertadores may automatically get enough points to qualify to play in the UK, so we may see more South Americans coming over. We may also see a belated understanding and investment in the quality of youth development across the game (although I personally doubt it, as it is too long-term a strategy for most football clubs). Regardless of the eventual outcome, the playing field has changed and there will be consequences, whether you agree with my assessment of what they are likely to be, or not.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

This comes from a Law Company's website and throws up some interesting points,

How does the immigration system work?
  • The club purchasing the player (or receiving them on loan) is required to hold a sports specific sponsor licence.
  • Before a player is able to apply for a visa, the club must obtain an endorsement from The FA.
  • The club must then assign a certificate of sponsorship to the player. Sponsorship will be for one of two types of visa: “T2 Sportsperson” (which will allow the player to be sponsored for up to six years, with eligibility for settlement after five) or “T5 temporary sporting worker” (with a maximum stay of 12 months).
  • Football clubs that lie outside the top four divisions of men’s football or the top two divisions of women’s football cannot obtain a sports sponsor licence. These clubs will no longer be able to recruit EEA nationals unless the player obtains a visa outside of the sponsored worker system and that visa permits them to play football.
  • From 1 January 2021, The FA’s criteria for awarding an endorsement – which will, at that point, be extended to apply to all EEA footballers arriving from abroad – will change.
https://www.walkermorris.co.uk/publ...re-you-ready-for-the-january-transfer-window/

Last edited:
Swindon Town: In: 3 Out: 4
Out:
Winger: Jordan Stevens, 20 (loan from Leeds United ended)