League 2 Signings | Page 6 | Vital Football

League 2 Signings

Interestingly Ipswich fans thought he was crap, Port Vale fans thought the same and Carlisle fans are not particularly chuffed by the signing.
I thought he was OK for us but certainly not broken hearted that he isn’t coming back.

Interestingly Ipswich fans thought he was crap, Port Vale fans thought the same and Carlisle fans are not particularly chuffed by the signing.
I thought he was OK for us but certainly not broken hearted that he isn’t coming back.

Yes, I think the fact he was a bit of a cult hero blinded some people to his weaknesses. Agree with you, he was OK for us, no more. I'd rather have kept Chapman than re-signed Holy.

Yes, I think the fact he was a bit of a cult hero blinded some people to his weaknesses. Agree with you, he was OK for us, no more. I'd rather have kept Chapman than re-signed Holy.
Agree he was a character but ability wise I’d rate him similar to Pontus Dahlberg - a goal costing error that could occur at any moment, but still a good shot-stopper in general.
He connected well with the fans though, very good at self-promotion which in today’s world of social media has become more important.
Last season Jamie Cumming was 5 times better than Holy ever was, and when Chapman came into the side he was very solid and outstanding at times, didn’t make the glaring errors that Holy (and Dahlberg) were prone to.

Seemed a really nice guy .But not the greatest goalkeeper. I think Harris should be able to do better.I don't think it is impossible that we will use the loan market again.It is perhaps the only possibility of signing a genuine championship or league one player. So I do think past contacts via Millwall, Cardiff or Reading (possibly opposition) might provide someone of decent pedigree. Goalkeepers unlike other positions can't always get appearances even it they are good quality.
Some of the loans are likely to arrive first day of training.

Last edited:
Seemed a really nice guy .Buy not the greatest goalkeeper. I think Harris should be able to do better.I don't think it is impossible that we will use the loan market again.It is perhaps the only possibility of signing a genuine championship or league one player. So I do think past contacts via Millwall, Cardiff or Reading (possibly opposition) might provide someone of decent pedigree. Goalkeepers unlike other positions can't always get appearances even it they are good quality.
Some of the loans are likely to arrive first day of training.

Yep. Neil Harris said the other day that he is likely to get at least 5 loanees. I reckon 1 will definitely be a goalkeeper.

Then probably one a young striker and one or more promising young midfielders. With loanees you can get the higher quality from leagues above. It’s risky because you don’t know how well youngsters will do in “proper” mens football, but if they adapt well, then they will be better quality than any players we could probably afford to sign.

Yep. Neil Harris said the other day that he is likely to get at least 5 loanees. I reckon 1 will definitely be a goalkeeper.

Then probably one a young striker and one or more promising young midfielders. With loanees you can get the higher quality from leagues above. It’s risky because you don’t know how well youngsters will do in “proper” mens football, but if they adapt well, then they will be better quality than any players we could probably afford to sign.
I was wondering if the loan recruitment might centre around a few clubs possibly playing one or two pre season before bringing them in.Maybe the championship or Premier league team mentioned or behind closed doors. It would mean bringing them in later than is ideal but at least you see them in one game against league two opposition.Perhaps bringing in a few from other sides that went out last year to league two or national league.

He connected well with the fans though, very good at self-promotion which in today’s world of social media has become more important. Last season Jamie Cumming was 5 times better than Holy ever was, and when Chapman came into the side he was very solid and outstanding at times, didn’t make the glaring errors that Holy (and Dahlberg) were prone to.

We were a bit spoiled having Cumming play for us. Certainly one of the best, maybe the best, goalie to put on a GFC shirt. Cumming`s surely a cert for the Premiership.

I would think Chelsea will put him into a Championship side for next season and if he continues to progress, have him back to compete the season after.
A great prospect.
Totally agree
It’s a shame we had him when we were such a shit show with an obnoxious, confrontational manger and a bunch of fans singing how shit we are, Scally out etc.
otherwise we may have had him for the full season.

Totally agree
It’s a shame we had him when we were such a shit show with an obnoxious, confrontational manger and a bunch of fans singing how shit we are, Scally out etc.
otherwise we may have had him for the full season.
No it was our hoof it style. His club wanted him to gain experience with a team that played it out from the back.

I think both Cumming and Dahlberg were incomparable when we put them alongside our non-loanee goalkeepers. One way too good for our level and one way too poor.

I agree I never saw Holy as a higher level goalkeeper at the time, I felt he was average with an occasional mistake. However, at his age he had potential at the time and was nowhere near at the Dahlberg standard.