League 2 Signings | Page 8 | Vital Football

League 2 Signings

Or stick with one quality keeper and the youth keeper on the bench every week. 1 semi-decent wage saved.

£50k saved?

Yep. The GK position can also be covered by emergency loans in the case of injury. Something that you can’t do with any other position.

I think a couple of L1 sides took advantage of that last season. One or two sides in the promotion battle got in top quality loanees late in the season when their main keeper got injured. I remember a lot of social media angst among other clubs fans. They said a club should be forced to use their youth keepers rather than rort the system because they didn’t have adequate back up.

Have listen to the Peterborough Chairman's podcast, which is actually goo, and he explains his clubs logic behind signing keepers. It seems many of the promoted clubs got promoted on basis of loan keepers or free transfer keepers

He does often talk a lot of sense and has had a lot of success with his recruitment. He’s also very confident in the media, which he uses to his advantage. However, on this occasion I question his logic on keepers - I’ve not listened to the Podcast, so I might be dated with this comment, but the other week he was saying he wouldn’t pay money for a keeper as there were so many out there available for free (or on loan) - all of which I agree with 100%. But at the same time, he was saying he wouldn’t let Christy Pym go unless someone meets his valuation. Just seemed a bit silly to me.

Danny Hylton has signed for Northampton from Luton, he’s getting on a bit in football terms as he’s 33 now, but still managed about 30 games in the championship last season. Dare one say, I think that’s a good signing.

Danny Hylton has signed for Northampton from Luton, he’s getting on a bit in football terms as he’s 33 now, but still managed about 30 games in the championship last season. Dare one say, I think that’s a good signing.
4 in 22 last season, could be good, we will wait and see

Harrogate have signed Joe Mattock from Rovrum, defender with about 200 games for them (moved from Leicester to West Brom in his younger days for £1.2m). Played 27 times for the Millers last season.

A statement of intent from the monied club perhaps.

Harrogate have signed Joe Mattock from Rovrum, defender with about 200 games for them (moved from Leicester to West Brom in his younger days for £1.2m). Played 27 times for the Millers last season.

A statement of intent from the monied club perhaps.
Have Harrogate got big bucks ?
Didn’t know that

Bradford have signed midfielder Richie Smallwood, pretty much ever present and captain for Hull last season in the championship with over 40 appearances. 31, 2 year deal, free (not ginger).

Last edited:
Crawley have signed Dom Telford, last season’s leading league two goal scorer with 25 goals for Newport County.

Didn’t see that one coming (probably paying him in bitcoin).

Crawley have signed Dom Telford, last season’s leading league two goal scorer with 25 goals for Newport County.

Didn’t see that one coming (probably paying him in bitcoin).
Very odd that he would even talk to them in my opinion. Be interesting to see how he does. This season could be one of surprising teams at the top .On the other hand sometimes throwing money at a few players can split the squad and in Crawley's case I think it might be a one off big signing. Our squad has started slowly but there seems a lot of sense to the early signings I would be more than happy for that to continue. If it has to be slow so be it .It is about getting the right players not when you sign them.This time next week they no longer get paid if they are out of contract. So that should mean much more movement both in terms of permanent signings and loan deals as clubs are closer to knowing who they will need.
IE no point in Harris letting a player he doesn't want leave on loan this week as he might need him .But in a week or two's time he will have more options and so can let X or Y leave.

Very odd that he would even talk to them in my opinion. Be interesting to see how he does. This season could be one of surprising teams at the top .On the other hand sometimes throwing money at a few players can split the squad and in Crawley's case I think it might be a one off big signing. Our squad has started slowly but there seems a lot of sense to the early signings I would be more than happy for that to continue. If it has to be slow so be it .It is about getting the right players not when you sign them.This time next week they no longer get paid if they are out of contract. So that should mean much more movement both in terms of permanent signings and loan deals as clubs are closer to knowing who they will need.
IE no point in Harris letting a player he doesn't want leave on loan this week as he might need him .But in a week or two's time he will have more options and so can let X or Y leave.

Crawley are ones I have down to really struggle next season, despite this signing. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see who else they sign, but their ownership model worries me. I wouldn’t like it if it were us.

By the way I’m only posting interesting signings, or ones that stand out, I don’t in any way mean that to be a reflection on our business. I have full confidence that Mr Harris will at the very least secure us an upper mid table position (but hopefully have us challenging the playoffs).

Crawley are ones I have down to really struggle next season, despite this signing. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see who else they sign, but their ownership model worries me. I wouldn’t like it if it were us.

By the way I’m only posting interesting signings, or ones that stand out, I don’t in any way mean that to be a reflection on our business. I have full confidence that Mr Harris will at the very least secure us an upper mid table position (but hopefully have us challenging the playoffs).
I have just read a bit on the Newport fans site.
It appears he was a bit of a one season wonder for them.Being frozen out in the past.Very mixed opinions on him for someone who has just headed the goal charts.
Crawley have him on a three year deal I believe. If he only delivered in the last year of his contract them perhaps he might try that again?
That could be why the bigger clubs have steared well clear it appears. Crawley are meant to have money to burn though so perhaps the offer has big goal bonuses that might pay off for them?

Stockport have signed Fraser Horsfall, centre-back and Northampton’s captain last season who rejected a new deal, apparently he had offers from L1 clubs, so they’re splashing the cash again. 25 years old, 3 year deal, free.

Finding it hard to see past Stockport for the title at the moment.

Stockport have signed Fraser Horsfall, centre-back and Northampton’s captain last season who rejected a new deal, apparently he had offers from L1 clubs, so they’re splashing the cash again. 25 years old, 3 year deal, free.

Finding it hard to see past Stockport for the title at the moment.
Far to early to decide but here's hoping....
Gills are going to take the title.Happy to go up with Stockport and perhaps Exeter always felt they look worth a shot at league one.