Knob End (h) | Page 5 | Vital Football

Knob End (h)

Think that game sums up or strengths and weaknesses to the letter.

Amos, Kerr, and Tilt stepped up when it mattered with the former basically gaining us a point and a clean sheet.

The team have the work ethic, attitude and desire to compete in games, I can’t see this group go in a rut like Cook got us when we was last in the championship.

however the quality is not there to see in the final third, the players are too slow and lack any really cutting edge, especially pace. So room for improvement for sure.

team is great for a promoted side and has all the ingredients to be built further on in order to get some good results in the championship. Let’s hope that is the case because these players deserve the help.

I just hope we make more use of Thelo and McGrath, Keane was poor today, and these lads atleast deserve some minutes.

thought power and Naylor were surprisingly good today, there were many warranted questions on if they could step up, and even though it’s just one game, they did really well.

Think that game sums up or strengths and weaknesses to the letter.

Amos, Kerr, and Tilt stepped up when it mattered with the former basically gaining us a point and a clean sheet.

The team have the work ethic, attitude and desire to compete in games, I can’t see this group go in a rut like Cook got us when we was last in the championship.

however the quality is not there to see in the final third, the players are too slow and lack any really cutting edge, especially pace. So room for improvement for sure.

team is great for a promoted side and has all the ingredients to be built further on in order to get some good results in the championship. Let’s hope that is the case because these players deserve the help.

I just hope we make more use of Thelo and McGrath, Keane was poor today, and these lads atleast deserve some minutes.

thought power and Naylor were surprisingly good today, there were many warranted questions on if they could step up, and even though it’s just one game, they did really well.

Agree on Thelo and McGrath, was a mistake not to bring either on especially when a player up, that scenario needs a maverick creative player to break down a defence which is going to defend deeper. Both need to be featuring more imo

What we now know:
- The side that got promoted last season can (more than?) hold their own against a team who were a midge's outside the top half of this league last season.
- Amos isn't that bad a goalie.
- Curtis Tilt can breakdance.
- Some of the team need longer studs.
- Some of our fans still (choose to?) see bad things from some players yet not those of others, and also, good things from some players, and again, not those of others. Don't really know why.
- Bobby Madeley can actually be a decent referee.

All in all, a decent performance, and a point we'd have all taken at 2.59pm.

Well done to all concerned.

Good game that two teams having a go Plenty effort Naylor was outstanding as was the goal keeper. But one thing was clear nothing in the final third. Midfield fully committed But no defence splitting passes. They were there for the taking. Clean sheet. Was a good start at championship level. Good loan striker needed from somewhere

A striker is needed as well as McGrath or Aasgaard in the CAM role.

What we now know:
- The side that got promoted last season can (more than?) hold their own against a team who were a midge's outside the top half of this league last season.
- Amos isn't that bad a goalie.
- Curtis Tilt can breakdance.
- Some of the team need longer studs.
- Some of our fans still (choose to?) see bad things from some players yet not those of others, and also, good things from some players, and again, not those of others. Don't really know why.
- Bobby Madeley can actually be a decent referee.

All in all, a decent performance, and a point we'd have all taken at 2.59pm.

Well done to all concerned.

A decent post until you got to Dog Sh@gger Madley's comment....pardon the pun but he was 'dog shite'.....let a fair few wrestling tackles go on Magennis / Lang / Keane yet punished similar on us...advantages played / not played was a lottery & his overall performance was one of 'it's all about me'.......how he was ever a PL ref is beyond me 😉

A decent post until you got to Dog Sh@gger Madley's comment....pardon the pun but he was 'dog shite'.....let a fair few wrestling tackles go on Magennis / Lang / Keane yet punished similar on us...advantages played / not played was a lottery & his overall performance was one of 'it's all about me'.......how he was ever a PL ref is beyond me 😉

Of course he missed some stuff ... for both sides ... but being fair to him, I genuinely thought it was a decent performance.

As for fouls on Magennis and Lang, yep, you're quite right, some were missed ... but then neither of those two help themselves at times by either going down too easily, or in Magennis's case, making aerial challenges where he has no intent of going for the ball.

Refs won't get everything right, but this Mon did ok today.

Overall we can't complain too much, but a few things I noticed.
Thought we should have made more of an attempt to win the game once they were down to ten men. Manager should have been braver for me, with Aasgaard and McGrath both capable of creating an opening.
Several of our players slipping about all over the pitch, but didn't notice any of theirs doing similar. Also Lang still falling over at the slightest touch, thought Beattie would have had a word about that.
Lang needs a stabiliser.

Club goes on about matchday experience and families being welcome. Well heres my experience. Arrived into ground with 5 kids in the East stand at 2.35. Most rows full of stone island clad pre pubescent kids meaning every seat taken despite having spent 700 quid on season tickets. In my row theres around 30 kids to around 14 seats and same on almost every row. Stewards let it happen and dont give one. The aisles are blocked, nobody moves and you are left to self police as you grapple trying to get your kids to see the game. The next 90 was full of the same lot vaping and blowing smoke in your kids faces as the stewards do absolutely f*** all to stop it. I tried to explain that i couldnt get to my seat earlier and was told that there's nothing they can do. After the thrilling nil nil i walked back over death trap bridge to see the brain surgeons of Lancashire fighting and spitting at each other from the Bridge with little Police presence apart from a belated pepper spray attack which is a another well thought out approach to bring the families back to the game! Why the hell the club and council cant widen the bridge to stop this bottle neck is beyond me but its been years now so cant see much changing now. With 10,500 home fans for the first game you would think the club would be doing everything it could to bring in new supporters. Sadly the organisation is still piss poor in and out of the stadium.

Of course he missed some stuff ... for both sides ... but being fair to him, I genuinely thought it was a decent performance.

As for fouls on Magennis and Lang, yep, you're quite right, some were missed ... but then neither of those two help themselves at times by either going down too easily, or in Magennis's case, making aerial challenges where he has no intent of going for the ball.

Refs won't get everything right, but this Mon did ok today.

Yep agree with you there re Magennis n Lang....when a high ball is hit towards him (Magennis)..instead of watching the flight of the ball he glances towards the payers who may challenge him for the ball n tends to jump towards them instead of actually attacking the ball, as to Lang, he's constantly looking for the foul whereas if he stayed on his feet 9 times out of 10 we'd have a goal threat.....maybe JB can train that out of him 🤔

Club goes on about matchday experience and families being welcome. Well heres my experience. Arrived into ground with 5 kids in the East stand at 2.35. Most rows full of stone island clad pre pubescent kids meaning every seat taken despite having spent 700 quid on season tickets. In my row theres around 30 kids to around 14 seats and same on almost every row. Stewards let it happen and dont give one. The aisles are blocked, nobody moves and you are left to self police as you grapple trying to get your kids to see the game. The next 90 was full of the same lot vaping and blowing smoke in your kids faces as the stewards do absolutely f*** all to stop it. I tried to explain that i couldnt get to my seat earlier and was told that there's nothing they can do. After the thrilling nil nil i walked back over death trap bridge to see the brain surgeons of Lancashire fighting and spitting at each other from the Bridge with little Police presence apart from a belated pepper spray attack which is a another well thought out approach to bring the families back to the game! Why the hell the club and council cant widen the bridge to stop this bottle neck is beyond me but its been years now so cant see much changing now. With 10,500 home fans for the first game you would think the club would be doing everything it could to bring in new supporters. Sadly the organisation is still piss poor in and out of the stadium.

ODP....really sorry to hear about your match day experience today....don't know where u sit but assuming / guessing its around ES2/3 (?) as it was rather congested on the aisles today with stewards doing very little to move anyone on. I'm not making any excuses but given it was a derby & first game of the season with possibly new(ish) stewards it may well improve after today with more stricter stewarding re standing in the aisles.....if it doesn't improve then if I were you I'd be emailing the club or even a tweet or 2 to the club. As to trouble at the bridge....I've never needed to use that exit but have heard / read lots of reports of trouble which really does need addressing before a serious incident happens....if Talal does actually read stuff on here then perhaps he can make ' summat happen'

I'm 90% certain that Richardson and his staff fucked up on the substitutions rule in the last 5 minutes with Thelo. You can make up to five subs but only have three chances to make those subs. I think Richardson and his coaching staff forgot that point and were unable to bring on Thelo having already used their three slots to make subs with Whatmough going off first half. It's the only thing that explains why Thelo was walking around the touchline warming up looking totally bemused after we had made three subs.

As for the match, as others said it told us pretty much what we already knew. We've got a team of battlers, who will fight to the death and won't be afraid of a relegation battle. However, we will be the lowest scorers in the division unless we find some proper speed and quality going forward. Bar Magennis for Wyke, that was our best four attackers on the pitch today and they wouldn't have scored had they played all weekend. But Wyke wouldn't have done anything today different to Magennis.

I really wish Richardson shared Cook's philosophy over full-backs. Yes having Bennett and Darikwa makes us more solid defensively, but we sacrifice so much going forward. We were truly spoiled under Cook with James/Byrne/Robinson.

Last edited:

The areas that have that kind of congregation are probably ES2 and 3. Why would you buy season tickets for 5 kids in that area. From ES4 down there's no such issues.

That's if we can believe any word of your post.

Got to say Donnie ...
- If I was going to spend £700 on STs, with 5 kids, if I wasn't going in the South, but in the East, I'd be nowhere near the "action end" of ES1/2
- given though that I'd made such a daft mistake, I'd have moved somewhere else in the stand, and would be on the phone first thing monday , asking for the STs to be changed.
- I'd have made sure there was no way on earth I'd be walking over that bridge when there was a chance on the PNE fans being there at the same time

The bridge is nowt to do with the club. The use of it though does require a small degree of intelligence by it's users ... that doesn't always happen.

My match experience was magnificent today ... except for Eddie Birchall's seat being taken by another mon. :cry:

Last edited:
I'm 90% certain that Richardson and his staff fucked up on the substitutions rule in the last 5 minutes with Thelo. You can make up to five subs but only have three chances to make those subs. I think Richardson and his coaching staff forgot that point and were unable to bring on Thelo having already used their three slots to make subs with Whatmough going off first half. It's the only thing that explains why Thelo was walking around the touchline warming up looking totally bemused after we had made three subs.
They did. They were initially going to bring on Thelo with Pearce, but then decided not to do so. Like you say, thereafter, having used their 3 "opportunities" (though I think half time is a 4th), they couldn't bring him on. I'm sure they've learned their lesson.

Got to say Donnie ...
- If I was going to spend £700 on STs, with 5 kids, if I wasn't going in the South, but in the East, I'd be nowhere neat the "action end" of ES1/2
- given though that I'd made such a daft mistake, I'd have moved somewhere else in the stand, and would be on the phone first thing monday , asking for the STs to be changed.
- I'd have made sure there was no way on earth I'd be walking over that bridge when there was a chance on the PNE fans being there at the same time

The bridge is nowt to do with the club. The use of it though does require a small degree of intelligence by it's users ... that doesn't always happen.

My match experience was magnificent today ... except for Eddie Birchall's seat being taken by another mon. :cry:

Talk about excuses. Its not that simple when you sit with around 4 of your mates that you have sat with for around 30 years but its getting worse. If there was an emergency in that block it would end up in a massive investigation the way the stewards are so passive. How can the rows being over populated three times be ok and over 100 in the aisles so you cant get down the tunnel.

I cross the bridge as i visit family near the muffin man. How else do you suggest i get back? Is it ok that me and hundreds of other families have to witness widescale brawling every time a club brings more than a couple of thousand fans. I dont recall it happening at any other stadium ive been to in such close proximity to the ground. Anyway like i say dont be surprised that the home end stays half full when this is what they witness.