Knob End (h) | Page 7 | Vital Football

Knob End (h)

Naylor was superb today ran his socks off but he won’t open a defence up with a pass. If you don’t think we need a forward and a midfield man who can do that. That’s fine unless we get a forward from somewhere with pace. We won’t score. At this level.

I do think we need those players, but that is not what you posted, however I don't think it's necessarily a quick striker, Grigg wasn't quick, it's the midfield roll we are crying out for, as you say one that can thread a pass, but also able to run at defences through the middle, we over pass at times especially in the middle going forward.

Last edited:
Club goes on about matchday experience and families being welcome. Well heres my experience. Arrived into ground with 5 kids in the East stand at 2.35. Most rows full of stone island clad pre pubescent kids meaning every seat taken despite having spent 700 quid on season tickets. In my row theres around 30 kids to around 14 seats and same on almost every row. Stewards let it happen and dont give one. The aisles are blocked, nobody moves and you are left to self police as you grapple trying to get your kids to see the game. The next 90 was full of the same lot vaping and blowing smoke in your kids faces as the stewards do absolutely f*** all to stop it. I tried to explain that i couldnt get to my seat earlier and was told that there's nothing they can do. After the thrilling nil nil i walked back over death trap bridge to see the brain surgeons of Lancashire fighting and spitting at each other from the Bridge with little Police presence apart from a belated pepper spray attack which is a another well thought out approach to bring the families back to the game! Why the hell the club and council cant widen the bridge to stop this bottle neck is beyond me but its been years now so cant see much changing now. With 10,500 home fans for the first game you would think the club would be doing everything it could to bring in new supporters. Sadly the organisation is still piss poor in and out of the stadium.

Could I suggest maybe you and your kids may be safer and more comfortable in the South stand as its supposed to be the family stand

Nah, the "man advantage" is a myth. The defence and midfield still have exactly the same numbers ... there's no difference in terms of what our attackers see.

For his late chance, Lang needed to employ a good old toe bung, rather than trying to wrap his foot round the ball.

Its no myth..they conceded possession to us last 10 whereas they passed it out from defence before. It's just we hadn't the nous to turn that possession into chances , Langs apart which he totally fluffed.

Police was loving it.

Got to agree with you here WJ, when we came out of East stand we fancied going to club shop, asked stewards if it was ok to go via North stand rather than walk the long way round....got the ok from stewards but must say walking past the police they actually looked like bouncers, angry looking & ready to lash put at any given indiscretion....I'm sure they'd have loved a bit of a scrap...especially on double time & a day in lieu 🤔😉

Its no myth..they conceded possession to us last 10 whereas they passed it out from defence before. It's just we hadn't the nous to turn that possession into chances , Langs apart which he totally fluffed.

I get that, but what I mean is that they've still got a a fully manned defence and midfield. It's just as hard to get through that was when they had 11 men.

Conceding possession cos they've no-one up front to hold up the ball doesn't make them any weaker defensively.

With 50 fans in it. No Ta. Would rather watch on TV.

So someone trys to suggest an alternative n all you can reply with is a total negative...a fair few posters have given alternative ways / suggestions but you just seem hell bent on knocking them all back....is everyone including the club wrong apart from yourself & your party 🤔

I get that, but what I mean is that they've still got a a fully manned defence and midfield. It's just as hard to get through that was when they had 11 men.

Conceding possession cos they've no-one up front to hold up the ball doesn't make them any weaker defensively.

It doesn't make the defence any weaker but it puts them under constant pressure with a man down, or it should do...thus handing us the advantage.

Yep, our forward players didn't know what to do against the ten men, they were also all knackered which didn't help. It's the lack of movement off the ball that was so infuriating in that last ten. Compare it to Burnley last night and how they were able to carve Huddersfield open multiple times through off the ball running, pass and move etc.

The moment that red came out, I'd have had Thelo on for Max. We didn't need two defensive midfielders against ten men, we needed someone who would bring the ball forward in midfield and conjure up some creative magic like Thelo can. But Richardson was a defender as a player and he's naturally defensive as a coach. He clearly didn't want to take any risk whatsoever until as late in the game as possible, without realising that he wouldn't get the chance to make that fourth sub.

Positives and encouraged by that performance!
Thought we competed well throughout the game and were the better team 2nd half.
We just lacked that cutting edge at times or a bit of luck in their box to get the goal.

That double save from Amos was outstanding though to ensure a respectable point and I thought he commanded his box well throughout.

Tilt was solid and Kerr did well alongside him when he came on.Naylor was superb and put in the really tenacious performance that we became so accustomed to last season.

Madley had no choice with the red and correctly sent Evans off.He was a tosser though for not being consistent in the continuation of the game for a non head injury.This also resulted in a yellow for Power which took away that edge from his game and a dangerous set piece for us to defend.I actually didn't have a real problem when he played on when Whatmough was down as it wasn't a head injury.But it was infuriating when he stopped our attack when the PNE player was on the deck for a non head injury.

IMO Aasgaard or McGrath should've come on straight after that red for the last 15 to add more creativity against the 10 men.But if Leam had done that and we then lost to a goal on the counter attack undoing all that effort beforehand he would've no doubt been criticised.

However,we still did create a few good moments that last 15,but couldn't quite take advantage.

Everything you write contradicts yourself, Naylor (central midfield) was "outstanding" and the "midfield fully committed", "But no defence splitting passes"

"Good loan striker needed from somewhere" despite the "outstanding" and "fully committed midfield" creating very little for our forwards, so what will be different if we managed to sign a "good loan striker from somewhere" ?
Alternatively we could use our own. Quite easy to get the best out of Josh if we give him a strike partner. I recall he was shocking last year in League one when played as a target man/lone striker. So just play Humphs or Keane or Lang or Wyke alongside him. This also gets a lot more out of McClean who also looked better last season when playing wing back. If we don't we will see a lot more blanks on our scoreline and many more results like the ones we achieved last season at home against top half clubs. Remember Nob end are far from the best side in the league and had new players bedding in.

My view - why the hell buy season tickets for a load of kids in ES2? No responsible parent would do that.

Secondly the bridge. Yes it’s the responsibility of GMP to safely Police outside of the ground. This has been a bottleneck for years and there is trouble in the location frequently, particularly in local derbies. It’s a gross failure on their part that issues continue. Post game procedures seem to change constantly and they have no consistency. Hopefully Mal Brannigan can request a meeting and ask they get their act in order and come up with a robust plan to negate these problems and avoid this flashpoint.