Kent cricket (n/g, obviously) | Page 5 | Vital Football

Kent cricket (n/g, obviously)

The plan now is for the first class game to be 3 divisions of 6 with the top 2 from each league progressing to a 'super' league, then some sort of final at Lords or one of the other big grounds between the top 2 teams. So not too different to the Bob Willis. I prefer the existing championship system (though it probably needs a tweak) given the 20 and 50 over formats have a knock-out element.
Basically then the same as football cricket will have a sort of premier league.The teams that host test in the top division with the odd team breaking into the top six teams only to get relegated again. A least with two divisions sides with smaller budgets had a chance.

I saw a breakdown which has Kent grouped with Essex Northants Middx Durham and Warwickshire for 2021. It is based on final placing from 2019. Not official as yet.

Basically then the same as football cricket will have a sort of premier league.The teams that host test in the top division with the odd team breaking into the top six teams only to get relegated again. A least with two divisions sides with smaller budgets had a chance.

I doubt that will be true unless they rig it or change the distribution share from test match money.

Currently, Essex won the county Championship and T20 last year and they do not host tests. Somerset are always in contention to win the CC and they do not host tests.

Of the Test hosting counties, Middlesex won the CC a few years back but have been in Division Two in recent years. Lancashire have won it once since 1934 and Warwickshire have not even come close to winning it since 2012, nor Notts since 2010. Surrey and Hampshire, for all their money and cherry picking the best overseas talent, usually underachieve and the less said about Durham recently the better.

Last edited:
Forgot it was on. Just watched the final over on the website, certainly tense. Looks like we maybe got a bit of luck with the Bopara wicket though.

Great shy at the stumps by Bell Drummond he could not have had that much to aim at .Massive pressure too.

Great finish. Thought we'd blown it with 15 wides. Partly makes up for blowing it v Middx and being robbed v Hants.

Just watched the Sussex innings Kent were really second favourites throughout the innings amazing finish.

I thought Kent's total would be enough, but Sussex went gung-ho at the start of their innings and looked to be on top right until the finish. All those wides (and some of them weren't really) were an attempt to stop them carting it off to cow corner with the short boundary there and the wind in their favour. It just about paid off. A solid Thursday afternoon's entertainment.

Great finish. Thought we'd blown it with 15 wides. Partly makes up for blowing it v Middx and being robbed v Hants.

A lot of those wides looked harsh - many were cute bowling to bowl it full and wide of the off stump as the batsman advanced across the wicket to try to slog it leg side to the short boundary: clever bowling and poor umpiring. Can't help thinking that things evened up a bit at the end with the slightly suspect Bopara wicket. All's fair!

I thought Kent's total would be enough, but Sussex went gung-ho at the start of their innings and looked to be on top right until the finish. All those wides (and some of them weren't really) were an attempt to stop them carting it off to cow corner with the short boundary there and the wind in their favour. It just about paid off. A solid Thursday afternoon's entertainment.

I thought it was a good score, but thought we could have easily got 20 more - we were pegged back by a pretty average spinner in Briggs, who bowled quite a few full tosses that we didn't put away - after their start, i thought we may rue it, but thankfully not. I agree on the harsh wides - the umpires are allowed to exercise common sense and too often the batsman was advancing to the offside in an attempt at the slog to the short legside boundary, with the bowler cleverly spotting this and bowling it a tad wide; the umpires were less clever unfortunately. Also, it is quite clear that Sussex employed underhand tactics in setting up an ultra short boundary on one side, which they clearly prepared and practised to bowl and bat to and another reason our bowlers were straying to the offside which the umpires should have considered - the commentators said that the did they same for their last home match. I'm glad that their underhand tactics didn't work.

As I understand it the competition will start afresh each season with no permanent top division for teams to be relegated from - so just 3 groups of 6

Going well against Essex, 140/2 from 13 overs.

Doesn't seem to be an online stream that I can see today, though, at a guess because the match is on Sky Sports.

Essex have beaten Middlesex, so Kent can't now make the final, regardless of the result today against Hants.

Excellent win by Kent unfortunately not enough to get to the final .But a very credible season thus far and still in with a chance of picking up a trophy.

The loss to Essex proved crucial - which was a game we had control of and threw away iirc.

Oh well, lots to be pleased with this season so far