Kent cricket (n/g, obviously) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Kent cricket (n/g, obviously)

Thank you for sharing. Shame we did no go for it .

Yes, seemed a bit of a strange decision there by Kent. 18 overs left, 10 wickets in hand and requiring just under 10 an over, but they've decided not to try and chase it down, players have all just shaken hands (well, kicked feet or bumped elbows).

With Essex looking likely to beat Sussex, it pretty much puts an end to any hopes of Kent topping the group now.

Yes, seemed a bit of a strange decision there by Kent. 18 overs left, 10 wickets in hand and requiring just under 10 an over, but they've decided not to try and chase it down, players have all just shaken hands (well, kicked feet or bumped elbows).

With Essex looking likely to beat Sussex, it pretty much puts an end to any hopes of Kent topping the group now.
Middlesex appeared to be bowling well.The weather might have been a factor if it was feared that only Middlesex had a real chance if we went for it maybe I can understand the decision.

Middlesex appeared to be bowling well.The weather might have been a factor if it was feared that only Middlesex had a real chance if we went for it maybe I can understand the decision.

With 10 wickets in hand and only 18 overs left, it was unlikely Middlesex would win. Kent had nothing to lose from giving it a proper go, T20 style, for 4 or 5 overs - if they lost a few wickets in that time, all they had to do was stop chasing and just defend out the remaining overs.

Although having said Essex were heading for the win, they're stumbling somewhat. 196 to win, they've just gone from 172/5 to 172/7 in the space of three balls, still 24 short of victory (11.3 overs left).

I like to follow the klive scores on "ESPN CRICINFO" Website who also do a daily report of the match.
Talking about Zac yesterdays report did say, "He brought up three fingers with a punch through the covers off Abbas" The wording has now been altered to read "figures".

Can anyone tell me do Kent still have a chance to get to the final? Final round of matches still to play .Second place in our group.As I understand it Kent really need to beat Hampshire. Essex draw or lose then we can top the group. But as there are three groups it that's when this competition gets complicated. I think another result or two will have to go our way?Or is it already impossible?

Top two points scorers get to the final and I think we are about 5th of all the clubs, so as Rotherhithe says unlikely. Had we not mucked up a substantial first innings lead against Essex we’d be in pole position.

Top two points scorers get to the final and I think we are about 5th of all the clubs, so as Rotherhithe says unlikely. Had we not mucked up a substantial first innings lead against Essex we’d be in pole position.
So is it the two top points scoring teams?Or the two top points scorers who won their groups?

Second option. Two group winners with the most points, third group winner goes by the wayside (could be us, but I would have thought Essex who could qualify).

Last edited:
I know it's time constricted this season but it would have been better to have had the winner of each group plus the highest finishing runner up, taking part in semi finals, then have the final from there.

It will be interesting to see if they revert to the traditional county championship next season, or try something different along the lines of the Bob Willis Trophy.

I know it's time constricted this season but it would have been better to have had the winner of each group plus the highest finishing runner up, taking part in semi finals, then have the final from there.

It will be interesting to see if they revert to the traditional county championship next season, or try something different along the lines of the Bob Willis Trophy.

'Word on the street' is that the county championship is finished and a new competition along the lines of the Bob Willis will replace it.

That would've been good, but time is the issue. You can fit 3/4 t20s in the space of that extra county game, especially as it'd have to be a 5 dayer to make sure the weather doesn't spoil the result.

'Word on the street' is that the county championship is finished and a new competition along the lines of the Bob Willis will replace it.
That's fine, as long as it's not regionalised along the same lines as the T20. It would become somewhat boring if you played the same counties in every competition.

B#llocks. Kent robbed of a win when cantering to victory by heavy rain. 5 more balls bowled and that would have been enough.

Crawley was taking them to pieces.

That's fine, as long as it's not regionalised along the same lines as the T20. It would become somewhat boring if you played the same counties in every competition.

The idea is that it would be regionalised in order to save clubs money traveling. Early days yet though. I'd prefer the system to remain as is

The 4 day game a fair distance for the home county must cost a a lot in hotels and food etc .So regionalising that on a temporary basis might make financial sense. Canterbury to Southampton might be tough to do every day .But you could at least cut the hotel bill by not having to stay that extra night or two they would need to a trip to Yorkshire or Durham for example.Canterbury to the Oval for example would be a fairly easy trip from home every day for players .

The 4 day game a fair distance for the home county must cost a a lot in hotels and food etc .So regionalising that on a temporary basis might make financial sense. Canterbury to Southampton might be tough to do every day .But you could at least cut the hotel bill by not having to stay that extra night or two they would need to a trip to Yorkshire or Durham for example.Canterbury to the Oval for example would be a fairly easy trip from home every day for players .

The plan now is for the first class game to be 3 divisions of 6 with the top 2 from each league progressing to a 'super' league, then some sort of final at Lords or one of the other big grounds between the top 2 teams. So not too different to the Bob Willis. I prefer the existing championship system (though it probably needs a tweak) given the 20 and 50 over formats have a knock-out element.