Kent cricket (n/g, obviously) | Vital Football

Kent cricket (n/g, obviously)

Looked like Essex were cruising home at 147/4, but a couple of quick wickets have got Kent back into it. 45 runs for Essex to win, or 4 more wickets for Kent.

Threw away a substantial first innings lead but with Crawley and Billings lost to England duty, Denly injured and Dickson leaving at very short notice, the batting has been decimated (strike bowler Podmore not playing either) so I am amazed that we have put up such a fight against the current County champions who seem to be at full strength.

Nice to see a bit of county cricket even though the result did not go for us.Thanks again Madrid for posting the link.Working nights no way I would have seen it otherwise.

Shame about the result, but rubbing my hands with glee here at the prospect of all that lovely live county cricket.

Looking like another tight finish in the England v Ireland match too. Ireland with 8 wickets in hand, but need 56 from 38 balls.

That was good fun and not a bad first day, even if we did let them run away with it a bit at the end. Typically, even though I had it on all afternoon, I only actually saw one wicket, because every other one fell on the brief occasions I left the room.

There are still a few technical issues - nothing all morning, and then later on the audio commentary creeping ever further ahead of the video, so that when a spinner was on they were telling you what happened with the next ball - but all in all a very enjoyable way to spend a Saturday cowering away indoors from the blistering heat while other people play sport in it for my entertainment.

Excellent win by England today well done Chris Woakes can't have been easy.Felt Kent did OK on a difficult day for fielders.

Yep. That was a very good win. When I went off to bed they were 5 down for not many and staring at a heavy defeat. Pleasantly surprised this morning when I found out they’d won. Excellent fight back by Woakes and Buttler.

I was a huge Kent fan during the glory years .
I had never seen this interview with some great footage of Kent and England legend Alan Knott.

I was clearing out a cupboard the other week (things you do during lockdown) and I found an old autograph book from when I was a cricket mad kid.
It had Derek Underwood, Brian Luckhurst, John Shepherd, Asia Iqbal, Mike Denness, Bob Woolmer and some non Kent players such as Bishen Bedi and Graham Gooch amongst many others.
Wonderful days

I was clearing out a cupboard the other week (things you do during lockdown) and I found an old autograph book from when I was a cricket mad kid.
It had Derek Underwood, Brian Luckhurst, John Shepherd, Asia Iqbal, Mike Denness, Bob Woolmer and some non Kent players such as Bishen Bedi and Graham Gooch amongst many others.
Wonderful days

As a young lad I had “The MCC Cricket Coaching Book”. Fantastic book, still got it somewhere.

I was watching Kent at Canterbury and after the game, hung around for autographs.

We all queued you at Deadly Dereks car to get his autograph. I handed over my book opened at a page with a photo of him bowling for him to sign which he duly did. But he then looked at it, looked at the front cover and said “Be nice of the MCC to let me know, and pass on some royalties for use of my photo” with a bit of a resigned look.

Lovely bloke and stayed sat in his car signing autographs for ages.

It was a really great Kent side in those days.I always vividly remember a one day match at Dover when we were really struggling and I have so much faith that I was still working out the run rate .Ealham and Nicholls needed while others were packing up and leaving. They did it with a over to spare .I think we only lost one more wicket .
But back to Derek I remember days that he was totally unplayable. Other players were ordinary by comparison.