JANUARY WINDOW THREAD | Page 27 | Vital Football

JANUARY WINDOW THREAD

I defence of Humphrys he is willing to try and beat a man where others seem to look to pass round players. He does seem to put his head down and fry and dribble past the entire opposition instead of looking If someone is better placed. Lack of confidence in his team mates rather than his own ability maybe?

I defence of Humphrys he is willing to try and beat a man where others seem to look to pass round players. He does seem to put his head down and fry and dribble past the entire opposition instead of looking If someone is better placed. Lack of confidence in his team mates rather than his own ability maybe?
Or ... (misplaced) over-confidence in his own ability.

I think Humphrys slows it down too much sometimes this season rather than just making a quick decision whether to pass, shoot, dribble etc and he ends up thinking too much about what to do next. I’d like see him being played to his strengths, get the ball to him
in and around the box and let him get shots off with either foot. If he faces a defender up near the goal they’ll find it difficult to know which way he’ll go as he can shoot well with both feet. I also think he has the pace and power to be a threat running in behind if we could start playing a few more balls over the opposition defenders or down the side.

The thing Humphrys is "lacking" most is ability, that is why he was shipped out on loan last season and the same reason Hearts played him infrequently and returned him when his loan term ended.
Glad someone else sees it.Very overrated player. Keeps hold of the ball (then loses it) when there are free players around him.

I have to disagree. I think he has everything needed to be a decent player but has to apply himself better and needs a manager to bring the best out of him. He’s big, quick, strong and when he’s asked to go up for headers he’s decent in the air. He’s also technically good and can use both feet. I think his role for us this season has been a strange one, he wanders around a lot and is often far away from goal. For me he needs to be tried as an out and out striker and given clear instructions about the positions we want him to be getting himself into (when to show for the ball and when to run in behind etc). First thing I’d be telling him is get in the box and stop going over for a bloody short corner!
I agree with all of this. As a team I think we massively struggle when he’s picked as the Number 9 due to the fact that he spends more time in the full back positions than actually up front. It means we just end up allowing teams to attack us from the halfway line as we end up getting deeper and deeper. It’s frustrating because as you say, he should actually be a very good Number 9.

I agree with all of this. As a team I think we massively struggle when he’s picked as the Number 9 due to the fact that he spends more time in the full back positions than actually up front. It means we just end up allowing teams to attack us from the halfway line as we end up getting deeper and deeper. It’s frustrating because as you say, he should actually be a very good Number 9.

Some players you can trust in a free role to intelligently pop up in dangerous positions roaming around the attacking areas. But more often than not Humphrys wonders off into non dangerous areas and leaves us with no one up front. It was worth giving it a chance but I don't think he's got the instincts for it. I think he's more dangerous when he's got clear instructions and a set position. I really liked him on the right at the start of the season hugging the touch line.

I think Humphrys is guilty though of wanting to always show off. He has the ability to shoot from anywhere, run the length of the pitch dribbling past everyone and it's great. But sometimes there's too many men on him or his team mates are open for a better pass but he but he still tries for the spectacular even when it's not on. I absolutely don't want him to lose that bravery and doing things that make him exciting, but I think it's just a case of being a bit smarter and picking the right moments rather than trying to force it and end up losing the ball.

Wkye gone to Rotherham- they covering all his wages and the loan period also covers rest of his contract. A decent saving there!

Best of luck to Wyke. Like Lang, another player whose strengths weren’t utilised by Maloney. So we’ve the carthorse, the unwanted qpr lad and Humphreys as the centre forward options. Let’s hope the latter can regain some form as I don’t see many goals from that trio between now and season end.

Just remind me how many Wyke and Lang scored
Neither of them have featured much and when they have they’ve been poor or don’t fit the system. The club is haemorrhaging cash, we can’t afford to be paying crazy money to bit part players, whether it’s their fault or the managers.

I hope Wyke can get his career going again after everything he has been through. He started this season on fire and looked as though he’d get 20+ goals for us but it just hasn’t happened.

It’s another clear example of the club cutting costs. We look a lot weaker in the attacking areas now Lang and Wyke have gone. I just hope the players left at the club can score enough goals between now and the end of the season to see us stay away from a relegation battle.

I hope Wyke can get his career going again after everything he has been through. He started this season on fire and looked as though he’d get 20+ goals for us but it just hasn’t happened.

It’s another clear example of the club cutting costs. We look a lot weaker in the attacking areas now Lang and Wyke have gone. I just hope the players left at the club can score enough goals between now and the end of the season to see us stay away from a relegation battle.
But the thing is when did Wyke and Lang last score or even have a decent game? So whilst we may look weaker on paper, in reality we are not really. We have the new QPR guy and time for Chris Sze to show us what he can do

At this level if you are creating chances for a fox in the box type - Wyke is as good as you are hoing to get.

But unfortunately we arent producing many chances now and putting balls in the box, so striker role has become pretty just battling centre halves outside the box and that's never been Wykes strength.

I don't think Maloney ever really fancied Wyke, so no suprise he's been allowed out if someone agreed to take on his large wages.

Like with Langs departure I feel a massive sense of frustration - not because we are letting a player in good form go, but because we had players capable of so much and we hardly got anything out of them this season compared to what we should.

At this level if you keep getting crosses in the box Wyke should worth 20 odd goals, and it looked like he'd easy do that as he raced to 5 goals in the first 4 games and was player of the month for L1. But then we stopped creating chances for him and we've pretty much got nothing out of him since.

It's been such a massive waste and missed opportunity for us. But he wasn't getting anything out of working under Maloney, Maloney wasn't getting anything out of him and the club wasn't getting any value for money. So it became in everyone's best interests he moves on.

I don't think we are doing well at getting the best out of the players we have and that is a concern I have in general going forward.

At this level if you are creating chances for a fox in the box type - Wyke is as good as you are hoing to get.

But unfortunately we arent producing many chances now and putting balls in the box, so striker role has become pretty just battling centre halves outside the box and that's never been Wykes strength.

I don't think Maloney ever really fancied Wyke, so no suprise he's been allowed out if someone agreed to take on his large wages.

Like with Langs departure I feel a massive sense of frustration - not because we are letting a player in good form go, but because we had players capable of so much and we hardly got anything out of them this season compared to what we should.

At this level if you keep getting crosses in the box Wyke should worth 20 odd goals, and it looked like he'd easy do that as he raced to 5 goals in the first 4 games and was player of the month for L1. But then we stopped creating chances for him and we've pretty much got nothing out of him since.

It's been such a massive waste and missed opportunity for us. But he wasn't getting anything out of working under Maloney, Maloney wasn't getting anything out of him and the club wasn't getting any value for money. So it became in everyone's best interests he moves on.

I don't think we are doing well at getting the best out of the players we have and that is a concern I have in general going forward.
I’ve felt this way for a long time. Wyke, Lang and Godo with Cal Mac and Humps as backup is as good as any forward line in League 1 if played to its strengths.
We were a fully fit Matt Smith and probably another experienced centre mid away from being really strong this year but we’ve looked far from that.