JANUARY WINDOW THREAD | Page 26 | Vital Football

JANUARY WINDOW THREAD

Heskey used to get dogs abuse from fans for not being that prolific but was loved by his managers for what he brought to his teams over his career. He was a real difference maker and finding players like that are few and far between these days.
Heskey was a star for Latics. So much so that it got him back into the England camp. But to many fans at Latics the glass is always half empty.

It’s easier to watch when you already know the outcome, the game had everything. As much as I felt elated, I did feel for Sheffield as West Ham should have been relegated. Sheffield got badly treated by the Premier League a bit like us with the efl.
Easier to watch?????? I still get kittens watching it 🤣🤣

I'm not so sure about that. The conversation probably went summat like:

Brum - we want Sam Tickle
Tics - He'll cost you £20m
Brum - We'll give you £800k
Tics - Feck off
Skysports - Deal fallen through
Just had the same conversation, I wouldn't have said £20m but we would have been interested in selling whether or not.

Just had the same conversation, I wouldn't have said £20m but we would have been interested in selling whether or not.
I suspect a realistic figure might be nearer £10m ...not that that's anywhere near justifiable, just based on the going rate for young star goalkeepers.

Grigg is the same type of player as Wyke - a 'fox in the box'. I think if we were playing in a way that was creating lots of chances then Wyke would be as good as you can get at this level. But unfortunately when Wyke plays he's often not getting those chances and he's struggling in more of a target man role.

For me the problem with Wyke, Magennis, Humphrys, and Lang for that matter, is that none of them can trap a ball. In nearly all cases when the ball comes into them none of them are able to control the ball and it ends up being knocked a yard or two away giving the opposition chance to steal it.

Perhaps Kelman has the ability to do what the others can't.

I don't know if this is why he was brought in, or if there is another reason, but until we have seen him play in the system that SM decides on we are all just speculating and that in my opinion is somewhat pointless.

I think whoever we have playing up front next season will need to be a good all round player rather than just play the role of a target man, poacher or second striker. It’s clear we’ll only play with one central striker so I think we’ll need someone quick and strong who can come short but also offer a threat running in behind. It’s a lot to ask of one player though! Of the current players I’d say Humphrys has the best attributes to play that kind of role but he seems to be lacking confidence/form and we haven’t used him in that position much.

Last edited:
I think whoever we have playing up front next season will need to be a good all round player rather than just play the role of a target man, poacher or second striker. It’s clear we’ll only play with one central striker so I don’t think we’ll need someone quick and strong who can come short but also offer a threat running in behind. It’s a lot to ask of one player though! Of the current players I’d say Humphrys has the best attributes to play that kind of role but he seems to be lacking confidence/form and we haven’t used him in that position much.
The thing Humphrys is "lacking" most is ability, that is why he was shipped out on loan last season and the same reason Hearts played him infrequently and returned him when his loan term ended.

Last edited:
I suspect a realistic figure might be nearer £10m ...not that that's anywhere near justifiable, just based on the going rate for young star goalkeepers.
He may end up £10 m player but he's nowhere near that now. He's a good shot stopper but sometimes his handling is suspect and as in most one footed goalkeepers if you close his left off he struggles with the right foot.

He may end up £10 m player but he's nowhere near that now. He's a good shot stopper but sometimes his handling is suspect and as in most one footed goalkeepers if you close his left off he struggles with the right foot.
I'll be honest, I've not a clue ... but the good news is that we had the sense to tell Brum to feck off.

The thing Humphrys is "lacking" most is ability, that is why he was shipped out on loan last season and the same reason Hearts played him infrequently and returned him when his loan term ended.
I have to disagree. I think he has everything needed to be a decent player but has to apply himself better and needs a manager to bring the best out of him. He’s big, quick, strong and when he’s asked to go up for headers he’s decent in the air. He’s also technically good and can use both feet. I think his role for us this season has been a strange one, he wanders around a lot and is often far away from goal. For me he needs to be tried as an out and out striker and given clear instructions about the positions we want him to be getting himself into (when to show for the ball and when to run in behind etc). First thing I’d be telling him is get in the box and stop going over for a bloody short corner!

I think whoever we have playing up front next season will need to be a good all round player rather than just play the role of a target man, poacher or second striker. It’s clear we’ll only play with one central striker so I think we’ll need someone quick and strong who can come short but also offer a threat running in behind. It’s a lot to ask of one player though! Of the current players I’d say Humphrys has the best attributes to play that kind of role but he seems to be lacking confidence/form and we haven’t used him in that position much.

I would agree on paper he's got all the individual tools to be that player, but despite his height and strength he has the same issues we had with Lang - struggles more centrally recieving the ball with his back to goal with defenders all over him. He lacks the aggression and gets pushed off the ball too easily for his size to play as a striker for me.

I think he's looked most effective as a winger where he can pick up the ball facing goal and run with it and find space to shoot from distance.

I've always felt there's huge potential with him and we started to see that this season but I think that he's been misused at times and let himself down at others. I think he's still got so much more he's capable of that we need to try and get out of him.

I hope he stays next season but I think pretty much all of the out of contract players will probably leave in the summer.